Free Member
Oct 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi
Has anyone found (or know if it's possible) of any conversions from a luton van type van to a motorhome.
I can find plenty of results of a box van with a couple beds inside etc, but nothing that matches the spec and detailling of a new motorhome, something like a Bustner nexxo or a kontiki sport

Basically I'd like a holiday motorhome but the wife absolutely won't buy in to the idea unless it is extremely comfortable for her and looks nice. Something that me and the kids would be fine with wouldn't be fine with her, so it'd need 2-3 fixed singles/bunk beds and a fixed double. shower,wc, cooking, seating and minimum 4 belted seats (which are capable of taking baby/child seats)

I'd be looking to pay for the conversion to be done but I just cannot find anything that doesn't look like it was specifically converted as cheaply as possible and while cost would be a consideration it's not the biggest issue but it would prevent buying off the shelf

thanks

Deleted User
According to the DVLA it is possible.

Current body type shown on your V5C registration certificate (log book)
DVLA will only consider changing the body type to motor caravan if the body type shown on your V5C registration certificate (log book) is currently one of the following:

• ambulance
  • box van
  • goods
  • insulated van
  • light goods
  • light van
  • livestock carrier
  • Luton van
  • minibus
  • MPV (multi-purpose vehicle)
  • panel van
  • specially fitted van
  • special mobile unit
  • van with side windows

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi
Has anyone found (or know if it's possible) of any conversions from a luton van type van to a motorhome.
I can find plenty of results of a box van with a couple beds inside etc, but nothing that matches the spec and detailling of a new motorhome, something like a Bustner nexxo or a kontiki sport

Basically I'd like a holiday motorhome but the wife absolutely won't buy in to the idea unless it is extremely comfortable for her and looks nice. Something that me and the kids would be fine with wouldn't be fine with her, so it'd need 2-3 fixed singles/bunk beds and a fixed double. shower,wc, cooking, seating and minimum 4 belted seats (which are capable of taking baby/child seats)

I'd be looking to pay for the conversion to be done but I just cannot find anything that doesn't look like it was specifically converted as cheaply as possible and while cost would be a consideration it's not the biggest issue but it would prevent buying off the shelf

thanks

You won't get more than 3 seats in a Luton without some serious work. There is a big structural bulkhead between the rear box and the front cab that is much harder to remove than a PVC. You are required to have "communication" between any seating areas and the driving seat, so you can't leave it in place. Also, a Luton would likely be too small for all those fixed berths.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
You won't get more than 3 seats in a Luton without some serious work. There is a big structural bulkhead between the rear box and the front cab that is much harder to remove than a PVC. You are required to have "communication" between any seating areas and the driving seat, so you can't leave it in place. Also, a Luton would likely be too small for all those fixed berths.

I guess if she's happy with an overcab double, it would be doable, if the Luton box can be de-bulkheaded.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Unfortunately, a Luton will always look like a Luton no matter how cosmetically nice you make it.
DVLAs latest wisdom is to qualify as a motorhome it must look like a motorhome.... And without serious body restructuring a box with a box in front Luton never will meet their criteria.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Unfortunately, a Luton will always look like a Luton no matter how cosmetically nice you make it.
DVLAs latest wisdom is to qualify as a motorhome it must look like a motorhome.... And without serious body restructuring a box with a box in front Luton never will meet their criteria.

I bet DVLA cannot point to any law as subjective as that. They need to be challenged on the legal basis for their definition of a Motor Caravan.

Geoff

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi

Why not just buy some thing that is "extremely comfortable and looks nice"?

OP
OP
J

jojo77

Free Member
Oct 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for that clarification, I didn't know about the dvla making rules. I use the term "Luton van" as a lay person, I just mean a van version of a motorhome bodyshape with overcab area for an additional bed. In my understanding of that dvla rule putting a bed above the cab would make it look the same as a motorhome
1603905341895.png

am I understanding that rule wrong?

OP
OP
J

jojo77

Free Member
Oct 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Why not just buy some thing that is "extremely comfortable and looks nice"?
the price of an off the shelf would send her off the edge hence seeing if it's possible to custom build something to her requirements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
the price of an off the shelf would send her off the edge hence seeing if it's possible to custom build something to her requirements
I don't imagine you are going to save any money, somebody might build you a Panel Van Conversion but not a Coachbuilt which is what you are describing.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for that clarification, I didn't know about the dvla making rules. I use the term "Luton van" as a lay person, I just mean a van version of a motorhome bodyshape with overcab area for an additional bed. In my understanding of that dvla rule putting a bed above the cab would make it look the same as a motorhome
View attachment 436814

am I understanding that rule wrong?
Yes you are. Putting a horse inside wouldn't make it a horsebox.
DVLA have a strict set of criteria regarding the inside... Bed/seating, a table, water, cooker, a cupboard/wardrobe... The list is on the DVLA website.
On top of that they recently insist the outside must look, as far as practical, like a factory built motorhome. Two side windows, a habitation door, graphics, an awning or awning rail.... The list goes on.
The interior is the easy part.... Their interpretation of a motorhome exterior differs to those who drive them.
If it doesn't meet their approval it will be registered as a van with windows.
If you altered it to look like your picture it would be accepted as it looks like a motorhome.... A square box van wouldn't.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
A company, that's all they are, with very expensive lawyers onboard.

I am not sure about that because 2-3 years ago I was asking to contact their legal department and was referred to the legal department of the Dept. for Transport. And they bless them referred me back to DVLA, but not the legal department.

Unless anything has changed the DVLA re an 'Agency' of the DfT so not a company.

Geoff

OP
OP
J

jojo77

Free Member
Oct 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
ok, thanks for this.
I'll probably just keep looking for a cheap french bed or something with a u shaped lounge and get someone to add 2 drop down singles above.
thanks

OP
OP
J

jojo77

Free Member
Oct 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Actually, does anyone have a rough idea of how much / if it's possible to add a single above each of these sofa. I'm thinking £1,000 should do it?
1603972849568.png

That would allow me to look at a whole lot of options

thanks

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I have a spare fold out bunkbed if your interested?

I'm in West Yorkshire

Cheers James

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Weight will be an issue with carrying four people, albeit some children. Do you have a C1 driving licence, does your wife have one in case you are ill? If not you are limited to 3500kg, not much with the requirements you list.

Perhaps you already own the Luton van or have been offered one at a good price, in which case I understand your idea of converting. If not I really think you should trawl the van dealers, Autotrader etc. for a used motorhome. Put a wanted add on this forum.

Maybe your wife does not fancy a conventional van, wanting something a little different to suit her character. I am thinking hippy van or something futuristic.

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
I'd say from personal experience if you were to pay someone to do a "selfbuild" it will end up costing more than a reasonable second hand motorhome, I'm halfway through my own build with the money I have spent I could have bought something ready to go. If I were to add my labor on top of that then I could probably buy brand new! (I am a slow worker though!)
<M>

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
Theres a 7 berth Hymer coachbuilt in the classifieds on here for £ 24,500.00that looks spot on for you. I doubt you could build anything better for the money.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
She probably wants something posher camper van looking.

I pick up my teenage daughter from school once a week and she hates it!
What with the mountains sticker on the bonnet and the compass on the side....

Just need a if this vans rocking..... Sticker!!!

Cheers James

stephennn

Free Member
Nov 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Stealaway
That is a lovely looking conversion. Do you have any idea how much that cost him and if he'd be game for uploading any internal photos.
I'd assume that would also pass the DVLA rules as it looks like a motorhome

thanks

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Stealaway
That is a lovely looking conversion. Do you have any idea how much that cost him and if he'd be game for uploading any internal photos.
I'd assume that would also pass the DVLA rules as it looks like a motorhome

thanks

Search - 'freespirit_c_g' on Instagram. You should find their build blog

stephennn

Free Member
Nov 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
thanks

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Look at lo loader vans.

Wouldn't be too hard to line and window such a van.

If you brought new you could do the doors as you like rather than barn doors on the back.

Several builders on eBay.

Cheers James

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back