From facebook please read (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2014
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Ih tio
Exp
Saw this on Facebook don't know how true it is .
image.jpeg

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I looked at one of these for mine but was doubtful if would survive long with the claws. Glad I didn’t buy one now, thanks for the info.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It certainly reads like the 100,000 other bullshit stories you find on facebook, and probably is. The Gel in ones i’ve seen is inert and wouldn’t swell like described, but of course there might be cheap mats that have that behaviour. If so I would hope to have heard about this before, especially given how poisonous antifreeze is to dogs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
It certainly reads like the 100,000 other bullshit stories you find on facebook,
Has anyone googled it? I never liked the idea we use a wet tee towel and put the dogs in front of the Endless Breeze
Edit I just did a quick search on google and found nothing about any mat harming any dog.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
maybe its just the cheap ones .

A bit of trawling around reveals nothing. Antifreeze is extremely dangerous to dogs, no responsible maker would add it, it wouldn't/couldn't add to the function of the mat. If it was present we would know. Even in China where crooks have made fake baby milk I could not see them adding glycol to cooling mats. To what end? I think some idiot sat in his untidy bedroom just made it up and posted it on facebook.

OP
OP
Hazelnut
Jul 2, 2014
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Ih tio
Exp
Sorry didn't mean to scare anyone saw it on f/book thought was worth a warning hope it's not true so many people bought them when we had the hot spell .

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
You have to put a lot of heat into ice to melt it, can't remember the maths but a water/ice combination stays at 0°c until all the ice has melted. So what would be the point of antifreeze? ?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
You have to put a lot of heat into ice to melt it, can't remember the maths but a water/ice combination stays at 0°c until all the ice has melted. So what would be the point of antifreeze? ?

Softer than ice, more flexible and less likely crack / get damaged when manipulated.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
A bit of trawling around reveals nothing. Antifreeze is extremely dangerous to dogs, no responsible maker would add it, it wouldn't/couldn't add to the function of the mat. If it was present we would know. Even in China where crooks have made fake baby milk I could not see them adding glycol to cooling mats. To what end? I think some idiot sat in his untidy bedroom just made it up and posted it on facebook.
Unless of course they are made in Australia who thought it a good idea to add Diethlene Glycol to their wine :rolleyes:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Unless of course they are made in Australia who thought it a good idea to add Diethlene Glycol to their wine :rolleyes:

Wasn't this done in Austria?

Deleted User
Another good reason to not have Facebook
Perhaps it time to have a ABF section of the forum (Anything But Facebook). Or even better a dedicated section for the Facebook postings so that we can avoid it.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Perhaps it time to have a ABF section of the forum (Anything But Facebook). Or even better a dedicated section for the Facebook postings so that we can avoid it.
A section just for Facebook stuff!
Every now and again you could jump in, read fake news, competitions that don't exist. top 20 names of people going to have a baby this year etc etc

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I think it’s quite feasible that a dog was damaged by a cool mat, there are always cheap knock offs and items bought in import shops abroad. ( There used to be a shop famous in Cyprus for electrical goods that smoked/ burnt out / burst into flames soon after purchase, my friend’s water cooler was one of them)
Another risk to dogs is soft toy stuffing. It swells and matts with the liquids in a dogs stomach. Having seen what was removed from a dogs stomach, I can assure anyone it’s not a Facebook myth.

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Good post, always good to remember many things are toxic.

especially given how poisonous antifreeze is to dogs

True, it's toxic to pretty much all animal life due to the ethylene, including us!
You don't want to know what it does to you, it has multiple actions.

Radiation exposure and damage gets the big press, but the reality is that everyday chemicals are far more available and dangerous, the lethal dose of common salt isn't that large either! The problem with antifreeze is that it's sweet so animals tend to lap it up.
Same with burned CCA treated wood ash - that's killed a few inquisitive cattle before too.

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Water will kill you if you drink too much. Nasty stuff.

Oh yes, anything that disturbs osmotic balances too far will yes, gradual and moderation is the key. Overfeeding starving men will kill them too.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I used to have one of the original 'Chillow' mats which was an absolute blessing when I went through the menopause. It was a large flat plastic covered mat with a filler point, inside was foam and you filled it with cold water, just enough to fully soak the foam but not expand the mat so it stayed flat. After many years the foam deteriorated but it never swelled more than it's original size, it just absorbed water as a sponge would.

However, as we all know you can squish sponge very, very thin so it could be that if it was one of these types of mats and the dog, when chewing the foam, effectively squeezed out the water so the foam was thin when it swallowed it, it would then swell up to it's original size from internal liquids etc and could therefore cause a blockage.

As for antifreeze a version of it is used as a preservative (look it up!) so the mat could easily have some in to keep the water inside 'fresh' and prevent the growth of mould etc.

In theory it could happen - as dogs do chew stuff unfortunately there is a likelihood that it has in reality, although hopefully not very often.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Perhaps all of his tissues were sticky and he was still bored!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back