From caravan to motorhome (1 Viewer)

Steve Mitchell

Free Member
Mar 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 66-2
Exp
Hi, just ordered my first motorhome. Had caravans for 10 years. Looking forward to trying a different type of touring. Got lots to learn and things I want to add to the motorhome. So will be finding out from the forum and asking many questions.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Hello Steve. We did the same last year. My advice is, take your time choosing your 1st MH. Remember, MH holidays are completely different to Caravanning, the biggest and most obvious being, unless you have additional means of travel (cycles etc), once you arrive on site, its shank's pony for getting around, having said that the benefits outweigh the few downsides. lot less hassle when you get to site, plug in the EHU, level up if needs be and that's about it. no faffing around with awning.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
animated welcome group purple.gif

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We did the same in 2011 after four caravans over the years. We made an initial mistake by choosing a caravan layout the same as our favourite caravan, so now on our second motorhome.
Welcome to Funsters, there is everything you need by way of information on here.
Don’t be shy about asking.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We made an initial mistake by choosing a caravan layout the same as our favourite caravan, so now on our second motorhome.
We did the same except it wasn't a mistake, first van was a Hymer Tramp with a French bed kept it 6 years until we decided we wanted an A Class with a garage, now on our 2nd A Class.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Welcome and I hope you enjoy your new van

MH holidays are completely different to Caravanning, the biggest and most obvious being, unless you have additional means of travel (cycles etc), once you arrive on site, its shank's pony for getting around, having said that the benefits outweigh the few downsides

I understand that we are all different, but what stops you from driving your motorhome to get around - isn't that what they're made for?

I get that size may restrict parking in some areas, but mine is my daily drive and I rarely have problems and only use 'additional means of travel' if I choose to

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. The big difference you will find is the way in which a motorhome can be used. Many caravanners never stray from the 'campsite concept' where a campsite is considered the destination. With a motorhome it is far more practical to tour. It's not made so easy in this country but go abroad and it's easy to tour from place to place. We book our ferry one way so no need to stress about when we return. We don't book dates for anything just go wherever we fancy and stop at a local aire, wild camp or municipal site for a night or two then move on. It's a different concept allowing complete freedom and flexibility. (y)

Wyn

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Welcome and I hope you enjoy your new van

I understand that we are all different, but what stops you from driving your motorhome to get around - isn't that what they're made for?

I get that size may restrict parking in some areas, but mine is my daily drive and I rarely have problems and only use 'additional means of travel' if I choose to
Surely it depends on where you are and the size of your van.
Generally mainland Europe not a problem but soon found out hardly worth trying to use a Motorhome in England. These days most of the time we just head for a port to escape.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Surely it depends on where you are and the size of your van.
Generally mainland Europe not a problem but soon found out hardly worth trying to use a Motorhome in England. These days most of the time we just head for a port to escape.

I've used mine in England, Wales, the Isle of Man and much of Mainland Europe - love it all (but South Wales is the best place to live!)

Eddie H

Free Member
Jul 18, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
We did the same last year. 10 years of towing.

Will not be going back. I find it some much easier, set up time etc.

I rate this forum for info as well. Well worth the £15

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
This thread has given me thouhts for contemplation.

I have been a motorhomer for 10 years and have been on forums for longer, so I am aware that maybe a majority of motorhomers started with caravans at least those who started 3 decades, or more, ago.

I only started looking at motorhomes when I was 64. Before it was a boat for 25 years - wilding round Greece, bays fishing ports.

I did not even think of a caravan, and reject it, but I do not know why it did not occur to me.

Of course I know the reasons why a working family with limited finance would choose to use the family car to tow a much cheaper caravan than buy a MH.

But for me it was not a choice of caravan or MH - I just did not think of a caravan. I do not think the campsites versus wilding/Aires entered my head, but maybe it did subconsciously.

Am I unusual?

Geoff

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
This thread has given me thouhts for contemplation.

I have been a motorhomer for 10 years and have been on forums for longer, so I am aware that maybe a majority of motorhomers started with caravans at least those who started 3 decades, or more, ago.

I only started looking at motorhomes when I was 64. Before it was a boat for 25 years - wilding round Greece, bays fishing ports.

I did not even think of a caravan, and reject it, but I do not know why it did not occur to me.

Of course I know the reasons why a working family with limited finance would choose to use the family car to tow a much cheaper caravan than buy a MH.

But for me it was not a choice of caravan or MH - I just did not think of a caravan. I do not think the campsites versus wilding/Aires entered my head, but maybe it did subconsciously.

Am I unusual?

Geoff
No, just think it possibly comes back to childhood experiences and financial considerations.

I had always been camping as a child as only way my parents could take me on holiday. When we had our family we could not afford holidays so we bought the cheapest, smallest caravan we could find to go away with the babies. Over the years we progressed to larger and more luxurious caravans and cars enjoying fantastic holidays at home and abroad, taking the decision to change to motorhoming 4 years ago which has given us a completely different form of holidaying again. All stemming from a small ridge tent and childhood memories.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back