Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
There is a mapped route in MMM magazine this month that is good too. It then splits at the Spanish border depending on final destination for winter sun.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Why does that look very familiar ???
Even down to "the tolls worth paying" and cost of motorhome fees..

The part about coming off the A63 and back on again is certainly something posted on here in the past by a funster but i cant remember who..

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
The MMM magazine route is toll free and includes details of Aires, mileage, etc.

We don't winter in the sun as still doing that awful thing called work but will try this route next summer.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Why does that look very familiar ???
Even down to "the tolls worth paying" and cost of motorhome fees..

The part about coming off the A63 and back on again is certainly something posted on here in the past by a funster but i cant remember who..
Page two tomorrow then LOL

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
It's got a better layout than mine and with hotels will be handy for when i go in the car, although I already have my cheap B&B motels sorted. (y)
I think your's is great for Funsters (and other's) who are looking for a route with stopoversand (if I may be so bold) it could become the bee's knee's by adding the further options for the non toll route between Calais and Abbeville, the route from Dieppe through Rouen and onto the A13 express way and finally how to get down the A63 south of Bordeaux using minimum tolls. I tend to advise members to look at the whole about-france and about -spain databases (webpages) as they offer alternative options and alternative routes but like you, use the N10 route myself. It's getting a bit to familiar now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Link has been updated a little to include the A63 toll sections, but I think the title is still a little misleading say Toll free route.
Agreed! It's a very big read and offers a lot of great options and advice. Extremely well researched and has won a few awards.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Route on MMM magazine this month. Hope you can read this!

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Interested in this, assuming 55-60mph, what is a realistic driving time to get to Spain?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Interested in this, assuming 55-60mph, what is a realistic driving time to get to Spain?
Using non toll roads you will be lucky to average no more than 40mph and in reality probably quite a bit less.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
How long is a piece of string ? How much driving are you willing to do in a day ? It can be done in 2 days but that's solid driving. I would say 3-4 days depending on how many hours you want to drive each day. 4 hours per day and you will do it in 3 days.

Janiemou

Free Member
Jan 2, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
4 years
Like PhilandMena, we used the N10 going south in March ... it was a delight to drive on.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

Except on the dual carriageways and motorways the French national speed limit is now only @50 mph (80 kph).

To achieve 55-60 mph as an average you would need to use toll motorways as well.

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
How long is the section of dual carriageway on this route where 3.5t and above vehicles are limited to 80kph and not allowed to overtake? It seemed to go on forever, though we were one of a very small number of vehicles even attempting to comply.

I’m a great fan of the toll free routes but I do think Macron and his cronies are beginning to win. If you just want to get from A to B with no hassle and little chance of a speeding ticket, I am coming to the view that judicious use of tolls is the answer. I’ll be doing some checking of rates, etc, before our next trip to Spain to try and determine where a further 10, 20 or 30 euros could best be spent in addition to the sections mentioned.

Even using dual carriageways where possible, I reckon 40mph is the high end of what you can expect to achieve as an average, taking into account loo breaks, tea breaks, lunch, etc. Mind you, I haven’t reached the point where tea and coffee are banned in the van and sipped water is the only accepted refreshment, as some friends do! I’d much rather stop for a few minutes for an instant coffee and associated emptying activity.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
If you don't want to be driving for many hours in a day a very simple formula that I use is 'a river a day'.
Day 1. Channel to the Seine
Day 2. Seine to Loire
Day 3 Loire to Dordogne
Day 4. Dordogne to Spanish border

Get to you days destination in time for a late lunch, go for a walk and explore, bottle of local wine and a nice supper, time for bed.
Repeat each day.
Arrive in Spain relaxed and in full holiday mode. (y):D:D:D

Richard.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
How long is the section of dual carriageway on this route where 3.5t and above vehicles are limited to 80kph and not allowed to overtake? It seemed to go on forever, though we were one of a very small number of vehicles even attempting to comply.

I’m a great fan of the toll free routes but I do think Macron and his cronies are beginning to win. If you just want to get from A to B with no hassle and little chance of a speeding ticket, I am coming to the view that judicious use of tolls is the answer. I’ll be doing some checking of rates, etc, before our next trip to Spain to try and determine where a further 10, 20 or 30 euros could best be spent in addition to the sections mentioned.

Even using dual carriageways where possible, I reckon 40mph is the high end of what you can expect to achieve as an average, taking into account loo breaks, tea breaks, lunch, etc. Mind you, I haven’t reached the point where tea and coffee are banned in the van and sipped water is the only accepted refreshment, as some friends do! I’d much rather stop for a few minutes for an instant coffee and associated emptying activity.
I agree!
We have been using non toll routes for the last few years but are now starting to pay for short sections of peage.
Instead of going through busy, narrow town streets with their speed bumps and endless roundabouts it's just so much easier to jump on the motorway and whiz straight past. The few euros paid is partly saved by using less fuel than stop-start and less wear and tear on the vehicle and driver.
I have even invested in a toll tag which is brilliant. No more fumbling and trying to reach the ticket which is either too high or too low without climbing half out of the window.

Richard.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I agree!
We have been using non toll routes for the last few years but are now starting to pay for short sections of peage.
Instead of going through busy, narrow town streets with their speed bumps and endless roundabouts it's just so much easier to jump on the motorway and whiz straight past. The few euros paid is partly saved by using less fuel than stop-start and less wear and tear on the vehicle and driver.
I have even invested in a toll tag which is brilliant. No more fumbling and trying to reach the ticket which is either too high or too low without climbing half out of the window.

Richard.
Agree with much of that. Although the title of my resource states non toll, it does indeed use some very cheap and short toll sections to get through Tours and the bottom end of the A63.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
When I said 55-60mph I meant as a cruising speed where possible not an average, have previously done home to South of France by car in a day (900miles) but now prefer to relax so possibly 3 easy days (up to 6 hours?) is realistic?

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
Calais to Irun is around 650 miles, so three easy days is realistic. We normally do three stints of two hours and end up going 200 to 250 miles a day finishing mid-afternoon.

You could do it in two easy(ish) days by using all the toll roads, especially if you increase your speed slightly as well, but you will be travelling at a much more constant speed, so it might not hit consumption too much. Is it worth the toll (about 150€ for Class II) though?

One of these days we will go to France and slow down and enjoy it, rather than rush through to Spain. We try to have a slower journey home but that just seems to result in a longer route involving roundabouts, speed bumps, chicanes, etc.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
but that just seems to result in a longer route involving roundabouts, speed bumps, chicanes, etc.
I'm sure there is a conspiracy to make driving through towns and villages as awkward and as slow as possible to add to the slow 80kph speed limits on those long straight roads.
They just want to divert us all onto the Peage system. :(

Richard.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I'm sure there is a conspiracy to make driving through towns and villages as awkward and as slow as possible to add to the slow 80kph speed limits on those long straight roads.
They just want to divert us all onto the Peage system. :(

Richard.
If we had proper sea legs Jon, we wouldn't be driving through France at all, but as there is no guarantee for a smooth sailing through the BoB, it has to be the long drive down for us. :(

We do it reasonably slowly over 5-6 days, from Calais to Valencia. By the end of the year, apparently there won't be any Spanish tolls to pay, although they are very reasonable charges........................unlike the French. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back