From Burgos -which way to go to head for a longer winter stay? (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If you want sunshine it will have to be The Algarve,,The north of Portugal is wetter and colder than UK in winter,,,BUSBY,,

OP
OP
Jillytots
Mar 14, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
4 wheels on my wagon
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks.
Still wondering whether the algarve or Spain would be better cost wise.
Hmm. Whether to turn right or go left to Spain-the less I pay the longer I can stay.
Im reading there aren't a lot of campsites in the algarve ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
The area south of Cadiz is well served by reasonable value sites. Rosaleda at Conil de la Frontera does a good discount if you stay put for a while. There are quite a few others. Winter climate has been pleasant when we have been there. Went in the sea at cap Trafalgar on Christmas Eve a couple of years ago.

Dave

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Thanks.
Still wondering whether the algarve or Spain would be better cost wise.
Hmm. Whether to turn right or go left to Spain-the less I pay the longer I can stay.
Im reading there aren't a lot of campsites in the algarve ?

Not much difference in price,,,sites probably cheaper in Portugal but food,beer and wine cheaper in Spain,,and fuel,,BUSBY,,

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I'm a little surprised at some of these replies. IMO it's a no brainer. Spain is the place to overwinter and in the Murcia region which will be the driest place in Spain at this time of the year (protected by the Murcia mountains) This is one of the main reasons why many people choose to overwinter in Benidorm. As you head further south, you only get 1-2 degrees more heat but will start getting wetter weather because of the Atlantic weather systems. Portugal is likely to be much wetter and no warmer in the winter. You could, head for the med side of Spain and watch the weather for Portugal then dash across at the right moment, or vice vercer.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Not much difference in price,,,sites probably cheaper in Portugal but food,beer and wine cheaper in Spain,,and fuel,,BUSBY,,
Not sure I agree on costs for Portugal as a whole - meals out can be way cheaper than in Spain. But Algarve always seems dearer than the rest of Portugal, so in context of overwintering maybe true.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I'm a little surprised at some of these replies. IMO it's a no brainer. Spain is the place to overwinter and in the Murcia region which will be the driest place in Spain at this time of the year (protected by the Murcia mountains) This is one of the main reasons why many people choose to overwinter in Benidorm. As you head further south, you only get 1-2 degrees more heat but will start getting wetter weather because of the Atlantic weather systems. Portugal is likely to be much wetter and no warmer in the winter. You could, head for the med side of Spain and watch the weather for Portugal then dash across at the right moment, or vice vercer.
Just a slight anomaly but Benidorm is not in Murcia but a 100 mile to the North, La Manga is in Murcia and is one of the warmest places to stay.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Tarifa has a few nice sites and they are all near beaches climate not bad either can be a bit windy at times.(y)(y)(y)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Based on one trip to Portugal earlier this year (inland, at Silves) Portugal is way cheaper than Spain. ( where we lived for nearly 2 years)
Can't speak for the coast as we haven't been there yet, but heading to the algarve in a months time for the winter.
Cooler than southern Spain at night, but just as sunny and warm daytime.
Ok, fuel is a bit dearer, but Aires are plentiful in Portugal and around €5 per night. Less Aires in Spain, and twice the price.
Eating out is cheaper in Portugal as their 'menu del dia' tends to extend to the evenings, which is uncommon in Spain.
Horses for courses, but based on what I know, Portugal works out less expensive.
( with the exception of Benidorm, which is cheap as chips but the sites are dearer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Based on one trip to Portugal earlier this year (inland, at Silves) Portugal is way cheaper than Spain. ( where we lived for nearly 2 years)
Can't speak for the coast as we haven't been there yet, but heading to the algarve in a months time for the winter.
Cooler than southern Spain at night, but just as sunny and warm daytime.
Ok, fuel is a bit dearer, but Aires are plentiful in Portugal and around €5 per night. Less Aires in Spain, and twice the price.
Eating out is cheaper in Portugal as their 'menu del dia' tends to extend to the evenings, which is uncommon in Spain.
Horses for courses, but based on what I know, Portugal works out less expensive.
( with the exception of Benidorm, which is cheap as chips but the sites are dearer)

At least a third more expensive on The Algarve than the rest of Portugal,,winters on average because of The Atlantic much wetter than say Costa Blanca,,excepting last winter but still much better than UK,,,,don't think you can find anywhere in Iberia as cheap as Benidorm for food and drink,,BUSBY,,:D2:D2

OP
OP
Jillytots
Mar 14, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
4 wheels on my wagon
Exp
Since 2013
If I did decide to do Portugal ( and I will definitely go via Salamanca ) how to I find a good road without paying loads of toll fees? Any advice ? Or should I pay the tolls?

If I go I wanted to go from Salamanca visit Porto and Lisbon then on to the algarve ?
Or should I leave Porto and Lisbon until the journey back?
Also is there a site you can look at for cheap long stay sites in the algarve?

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
If I did decide to do Portugal ( and I will definitely go to Salamanca ) how to I find a good road without paying loads of toll fees? Any advice ? Or should I pay the tolls?

If I go I wanted to go from Salamanca visit Porto and Lisbon then on to the algarve ?
Or should I leave Porto and Lisbon until the journey back?
Also is there a site you can look at for cheap long stay sites in the algarve?

I'd hate to be stuck behind you at a crossroads :p:LOL::LOL::love:

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
I'd hate to be stuck behind you at a crossroads :p:LOL::LOL::love:
images.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun