From a Kombi to a motorhome (1 Viewer)

KombiCamper

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Funster No
Hi All

Been lurking around for a few days and thought I should join and introduce myself. My name's Chris and I'm currently living in Melbourne Australia. I'm married to Sam who was originally from England and has been living in Oz for the past 10 years. we have a son called Harry who's almost 2 and another on the way later this year.

Around 6 months ago we bought ourselves a 1977 VW Camper. They're known as Kombi's here in Oz, thus the name KombiCamper. (I'll try and post some pics) We loved camping and I've always wanted a Kombi so we thought it would be a great way to see Oz and get out and about.

Recent revelations are that we are coming to Europe early next year and are hoping to do some travelling. And what better way to do it then in a motorhome. I've been searching everywhere for the right advice and the right motorhome but there is so much to take in as you would all know. What the hell did we do before the internet. I would have been screwed.

Anyway the latest plan is to set up base with Sams folks in a small town called Woodhall Spa in Lincolnshire and head off around Europe in 2-4 month stints returning to regroup and re couperate. We are thinking of buying a motorhome rather than renting as we will be using it lots over the 18 months we will be there.

I've been looking around for a few days now and I really like the layout of the Fiat Carioca 656 or the older Carioca 5. The double bunk is a must for us, as we will be travelling with a 3 year old and a baby. Any thoughts on this model or is there anyone out there who owns one?

Can anyone suggest any other models with fixed bunks? I know some of the Granduca's also have fixed bunks.

I hope you all don't mind me picking your brains. Look forward to getting to know you all and learning about motorhoming.

Thanks Guys
Chris

Here's a pic of our Kombi. Hope this works...

BlueBus1.jpg

wayfarer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Co. Clare. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Welcome to Fun Chris, I will leave it to others more experienced to advise you on the right camper, maybe check with JohnsCross. Do you surf and if you do then a trip to Ireland is a must as we have some of the best surf in Europe if not the world at times on our west coast. Hope you get all your info and have a great tour.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Welcome to Fun Chris, I will leave it to others more experienced to advise you on the right camper, maybe check with JohnsCross. Do you surf and if you do then a trip to Ireland is a must as we have some of the best surf in Europe if not the world at times on our west coast. Hope you get all your info and have a great tour.

Burstner do one with bunk beds, this will give you an idea http://www.johnscrossshop.co.uk/products.php?product=Burstner-A645-Nexxo-Family-Motorhome-2008

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Welcome :Smile:

Sorry i can't help with your choice of motorhome, but someone will be along soon to help

Regards
Phil

lazydays

Free Member
May 9, 2009
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
March 2009
Hello & Welcome to the fun,:thumb: you can also ask questions on where to go in Europe most people here are very well travelled.

With regards to your question about motorhome hire, have a look at the link below. Most of the vehicles are privately owned and then rented out by the owners that want to earn extra cash from their motorhomes.

http://www.motorhomesuk.co.uk

Good luck with your forth coming trip::bigsmile:

OP
OP
K

KombiCamper

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Funster No
Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

There's some really usefull info here already.

I think the biggest issue is finding a motorhome with the bunk bed layout, reliability and within our limited budget of 12,000 pounds.

Might have to speak to the minister of finances and see if we can up our investment.

We are planning on selling up after our trip so would it be better to buy something newer to increase the chances of a successfull resale?

Should we be lloking at a business that does a guaranteed buy back?

Should we look in Germany rather than the UK? It appears left hand drives are cheaper.

Sorry about all the questions. Trying to absorb it all and make sure we make the right decision.

Thanks again Guys
Chris

SmellyFeet

Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Less Than 1 Year
Hi, we have two kids, we have a Rimor katamarano 6. This has two fixed bunks at the rear, an overcab bed and the central seats can be converted as well. This is our first MH, so cannot compare it to anything else, although I know they are considered to be at the budget end of the market. I bought ours for a steal, compared to some of the other makes and so far we think it's excellent. It's basic, but with a couple of kids and a big hairy mutt, that's what's best. The bathroom is big enough, it's got a basic kitchen, small fridge, two burners, and a microwave, but we don't plan on doing a lot of cooking, mostly barbequeing and eating out. It all sits on a transit which pulls really well, you get some reasonable storage under the bottom bunk when not in use, and it does around 29mpg.

Anything else you want to know ask away.

Dave

wayfarer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Co. Clare. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
If yo intend to do most of of your touring in mainland Europe then a lefty would be better and if you buy in France or Germany, cheaper. My first camper was a lefty bought in France and I had no problems driving it in Ireland or the UK. Resale might be a bit harder. Second hand might be a bit cheaper in Ireland than the UK with the recession and you have the choice of left or right hand drive. I can PM you a list of suppliers if you want.

OP
OP
K

KombiCamper

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Funster No
Hi Pat

I've googled myself out and would love that list of suppliers.

Dave, the Rimor sounds like an excellent option. I'll put it on my list of candidates.

Thanks again guys

Great forum

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi and welcome to motorhome fun.

I hope you will consider joining in one of the rallies and meets that are coming up if they coincide with your stay. We always have a great time at the meets and it would give you an opportunity to put faces to usernames.

Meets and Rallies are listed on the right hand side of the home page, and more information can be found in the rallies and meets threads.

Some do have deadlines for booking but not all have to be paid in full at the time of making the booking.

Hope you find what you are looking for xxxxx

Hammerhead

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Hi,

Love your Kombi, looks great.

We spent five years in Sydney, and bought a '76 Kombi there. It wasn't anything like as nice as yours, but we loved it nonetheless. Now we're back in Britain, and have bought an old obscure motorhome.

Can't help you with your choices I'm afraid, as only old stuff appeals to me, but good luck!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi chris and sam and welcome to the asylum.

sorry cant really help with a suitable van but i have to say the combi is in remarkable condition for 33 years old.

the only time you see one like that in the uk it has had a fortune spent reconditioning/renovating it and underneath its shiney coat its still a rust bucket. :RollEyes::roflmto:

BTW, which is which...... chris/sam = male /female ????

OP
OP
K

KombiCamper

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Funster No
Would love to meet some members when I get over there next year.

Thanks for the compliments on the Kombi. It was rstored 10 years ago by the previous owner and from what I gather it didn't even need it. It's had 3 amazingly anal owners in it's lifetime and has barely seen a drop of rain. I looked for years untill I found one so original and in such great condition.

FYI, I'm Chris and Sam is my wife.

Looking forward to getting to know you all better.

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
Hi Chris (and Sam)
Your combi looks fantastic!

If you're anything like your compatriots we met during our travels, you'll have a great time ::bigsmile:
They were a lovely bunch :thumb:

Oh and welcome to the site. Hope you find that ideal 'van.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Welcome to the madhouse, Kombicamper.

Remind me, KB, when they found that bloke down your way wuth a boomerang in his head, did they decide whether it was an accident, murder or suicide?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back