Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We’ve taken the plunge and bought a Woodford trailer to tow our Smart car. We did this because we want to venture into Spain.

It’s a lot bigger than an A frame - a LOT bigger! I’m wondering what the implications are when we park up on camp sites.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Jun 1, 2016
Chesham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since April 2016
I have tackled a similar problem recently. I have had a tow bar fitted to the Smart. https://www.smart-stuff.parts/smart-fortwo-towbar-530. Its not for road use but is really useful for parking the trailer. We have found parking is not a problem but a bit of a challenge if you don't have a means of pushing the trailer mechanically onto grass or gravel. Even when its empty it a bit of a struggle and we are not getting any younger.

I have also purchased a remote control 'tractor' to move the trailer into a parking position. I bought this before coming across the tow bar so would suggest the tow bar is the better option - and cheaper. http://kronings.com/language/com/home/products/camper-trolley/. Available in the UK.

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Had the towbar and the trolley. Trolley was used to move trailer if not demounting car. It did struggle if slope to steep. Originally had motormover on trailer but paid a visit to weighbridge and had to loose some weight

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I have tackled a similar problem recently. I have had a tow bar fitted to the Smart. https://www.smart-stuff.parts/smart-fortwo-towbar-530. Its not for road use but is really useful for parking the trailer. We have found parking is not a problem but a bit of a challenge if you don't have a means of pushing the trailer mechanically onto grass or gravel. Even when its empty it a bit of a struggle and we are not getting any younger.

I have seen a few with caravan movers fitted which sorts out the moving problem.

We’ve taken the plunge and bought a Woodford trailer to tow our Smart car. We did this because we want to venture into Spain.

It’s a lot bigger than an A frame - a LOT bigger! I’m wondering what the implications are when we park up on camp sites.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

I have a Brian James Trailer with Movers it’s actuall my second one and does a great job,I have never had a problem Parking/ Placing the Trailer on Sites or Aires etc I always ensure I’m not encroaching into anyone else’s space and definitely ensure on Aires that I’m not taking a space that could hold another Motorhome.

In respect of the Movers though quite brilliant, however, as stated in the quote above in certain circumstances, Wet grass/ gravel etc the Movers do struggle to find grip and it really is a challenge to get the Trailer EMPTY onto solid flat ground,I’ve always managed without other assistance which as never ever been forthcoming so I had to even though it nearly killed me a couple of times.

So Wymans suggestion of having a Tow Bar fitted to move the Trailer about is one of the best suggestions I’ve heard on this Forum and I will now definitely be having one fitted to my IQ.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

I have also purchased a remote control 'tractor' to move the trailer into a parking position. I bought this before coming across the tow bar so would suggest the tow bar is the better option - and cheaper. http://kronings.com/language/com/home/products/camper-trolley/. Available in the UK.
As long as you can convince the UK policeman that it isn't for 'road use'.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I changed from towing a 7.5 metre caravan to driving an 8 metre motorhome towing a fiat 500.

Why would you take a big van and a small car when you could take a big van and big car?:Eeek:

There are thousand of car and caravans travelling the length and breadth of Europe quite happily - even with a dog:hi5:

Regards

Mr Smart Arse

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Why would you take a big van and a small car when you could take a big van and big car?:Eeek:

There are thousand of car and caravans travelling the length and breadth of Europe quite happily - even with a dog:hi5:

Regards

Mr Smart Arse
There sure are thousands of tuggers, but you obviously know nothing of the subject of towing a caravan
Jeep Grand Cherokee 1750kg towing twin axle caravan 2200kg
Tail wagging dog.
Motorhome circa 3500kg towing small car 850kg dog wagging tail
Here endeth your safe towing lesson

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I bought a Brian James trailer from a funster 2 years ago. He'd had movers fitted and they are great. No issues moving trailer loaded or not. If I have choices again fitting movers would always win.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@TCG We have towed a Fiat panda 4x4 on a twin wheeled Phoenix trailer for the last three years down to Spain and last year up to the top of Sweden an d back.
Have had no problems on site parking trailer or moving it about most pitches are plenty big enough and I can move the trailer when unloaded on my own quite easily.
Wouldn’t think you’ll have any problems with a smart trailer.
As far as why do it because we want to and it suits us everyone to their own.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome

Regards

Mr Smart Arse

For one reason that you can always find a parking space in the busiest of towns for a 2.7 metre long SMART car and you can never find a parking place for a 4.95 metre long AUDI A6 or even less likely a 7.5 metre Motorhome. I know I have all three and used to tow tug with the AUDI.

The combination of SMART and Motorhome is my ideal combination.

Each to their own as far as this hobby/pastime/way of life goes.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
I would never chance using a "A" frame when going anywhere in Europe as wife does not drive and did not want to have leave car and frame somewhere.
We bought a Brian James trailer that could take either my Mazda Mx5 or our Kia Picanto.
On journeys into Germany and Spain only dropped 1-2 mpg when hitched up, felt very pleased with it and quite smug as I knew all was legal too.
BTW put "Ultraseal" into my tyres to prevent any punctures as I had been using it for years on my motorbikes to great effect !

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I bought a Brian James trailer from a funster 2 years ago. He'd had movers fitted and they are great. No issues moving trailer loaded or not. If I have choices again fitting movers would always win.
You have clearly not had to move it on gravel up a slope otherwise you would have had issues.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
You have clearly not had to move it on gravel up a slope otherwise you would have had issues.

Having had them on caravans they work quite well even uphill yes you can get wheel spin on some surfaces but that is usually easily overcome but I would agree that trying to take it up a 45 degree scree slope will be troublesome

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
As long as you can convince the UK policeman that it isn't for 'road use'.
Would not have thought any member of our police force would either know or be interested,,,BUSBY:D

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
There sure are thousands of tuggers, but you obviously know nothing of the subject of towing a caravan
Jeep Grand Cherokee 1750kg towing twin axle caravan 2200kg
Tail wagging dog.
Motorhome circa 3500kg towing small car 850kg dog wagging tail
Here endeth your safe towing lesson
That's actually illegal....your only allowed to tow a caravan weighing up to 85% of the tow vehicles weight so the caravan couldn't weigh more than the jeep.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
That's actually illegal....your only allowed to tow a caravan weighing up to 85% of the tow vehicles weight so the caravan couldn't weigh more than the jeep.

No, the 85% is a recommendation by the CC the legal limit is set by the manufacturer who specifies the max train weight so if the combined weight if the car and van is within that if is legal.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Not true, it’s only a guide not law.
No, the 85% is a recommendation by the CC the legal limit is set by the manufacturer who specifies the max train weight so if the combined weight if the car and van is within that if is legal.
I stand corrected I thought it was law.
But anyone that tows 2200kg with something weighing 1750kg is an idiot .......i towed caravans for years but I wouldn't have been that stoopid.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Buy a caravan and take that to Spain:imoutahere:
Apart from the fact that I wouldn’t be able to get a caravan with as much space or payload as I currently have in my circa 10,000kg camper the answer to your question is easy!

If I bought a caravan, I would always have to tow, no option.

If I decide to take a car, as I will for my ten day stint at the NEC show next month, I can

If I decide not to tow, as I did when we went to Paris for Christmas and the New Year I can.

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Not true, it’s only a guide not law.
There may be (or have been) a law saying that your speed is limited (to 30mph?) if the weight of the trailer exceeds the weight of the towing vehicle.
I think current law refers to what the the plate on the towing vehicle allows.

John65

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2000
A car can legally tow up to 100% of its weight. A four wheel drive can tow quite a it more than its weight. eg.my Isuzu trooper weighs just over 2 tons but can tow 3.2tons.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
That is totally incorrect, the caravan club advises towing at 85% of kerb weight, the law states that you can tow up to the figure on your V5 which in my case of a grand Cherokee was 3.5 ton

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
There may be (or have been) a law saying that your speed is limited (to 30mph?) if the weight of the trailer exceeds the weight of the towing vehicle.
I think current law refers to what the the plate on the towing vehicle allows.
exactly depends on your V5, with regard to speed limits while towing, 60MPH on motorway,

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Further to my earlier reply I have retained the towbar on the smart even though we no longer tow it as it is sometimes useful to attach a bike rack to . And it stops some idiots parking too close

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Regards

Mr Smart Arse

Can you legally park your caravan at the side of the road when you want to?
Can you drive your caravan on its own?

Lots of very good reasons.

IF I was going to tow, I would probably tow a car with our motorhome. Unless my stays were going to be long term 2-3 months plus. Then I may consider a caravan.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
What does the law say about the use of an A-frame AND trailer (or tandem trailers)?
My toad has a towball and I have often wondered if there's anything to stop someone from towing something else with a car on an A-frame. You may be able to enjoy the best of all worlds: Motorhome with car and caravan!
I don't know how well they'd behave around sharp corners, though. And other road users might be taken by surprise.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
What does the law say about the use of an A-frame AND trailer (or tandem trailers)?
My toad has a towball and I have often wondered if there's anything to stop someone from towing something else with a car on an A-frame. You may be able to enjoy the best of all worlds: Motorhome with car and caravan!
I don't know how well they'd behave around sharp corners, though. And other road users might be taken by surprise.

Only if you a showman, like a Fair or circus trailers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back