Frog ? (1 Viewer)

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Noticed a frog ? in our garden it keeps going into the water but can’t get back out and nothing for it to stand on so it has to cling on the algae at the side whilst getting some air.

I’ve taken it out only for it to get back in the water again ? tried a floating a board for a few days to no avail.
Not sure this is going to work but at least I’ve tried ?
A44939D0-C891-4FE4-AC22-25AC71938CFD.jpeg
336DF392-B142-4209-8B2D-C8685832B5E0.jpeg
1047BF6E-7472-4B2A-B6B0-15846B6830DB.jpeg
C7A6D830-0A5D-472F-BFAB-590A4433C91D.jpeg
5CA63617-4943-4AAA-9936-A4FBC055C577.jpeg

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am confident it will have climbed out many times on its own before ??

not sure what you are showing in photos, but if now covered over you may well have trapped other wildlife in the water ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
John.
Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
I am confident it will have climbed out many times on its own before ??

not sure what you are showing in photos, but if now covered over you may well have trapped other wildlife in the water ?
It’s always been covered over to stop the dog falling in or anything else cats etc.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I’m sure the Frog will be fine, that is how they sit-at the edge with head above waterline!
Dont think the mesh over the pond is a good idea tho, you will stop any other creatures getting in or out!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Third picture down David, it's a "frog ladder" brilliant (y) wether the frogs agrees I can't comment.

Martin
It’s always been covered over to stop the dog falling in or anything else cats etc.

been back to look at photos again, TBH I didn't even think i was awake at 01:00, let alone sober enough to type :giggle: :unsure:

as long as the mesh is the same as it was before I am sure he / she will get out quite easily, they can squeeze through quite small gaps, we have hundreds in our pond that seem to be able to jump low walls quite easily when they need to (y)

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Funny enough, our hopper is Number 321 go!!! ???. There you go wait long enough and 3 come together ???

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Aww you are so kind.

I put twigs or small branches floating. They seem able to grip those..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I used some wire mesh at the end of our pond so the frogs/toads can climb up it (a bit like the rope ones you get on an assault course) which seems to work, but they have plenty of lily pads to sit on too.

As you don't appear to have anything in the pond you could use a long flat piece of timber and jam it across the ponds just below the water, that way they will be able to get onto it easily and can sit on it in safety to get a warm in the sunshine.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Noticed a frog ? in our garden it keeps going into the water but can’t get back out and nothing for it to stand on so it has to cling on the algae at the side whilst getting some air.
Just to avoid unnecessary worrying, did you know that a frog can take in oxygen from the water through its skin, like a fish does through its gills. It can stay under water indefinitely. It also has lungs and can breath air. That's what's great about being an amphibian.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I will NEVER understand evolution.

Fish crawled out of the water and so over thousands of years evolved lungs and legs...

The first fish died cos it couldn't breathe, so did the second fish and so ad infinitum. Millions of dead fish..

Why didn't they keep on dying? How did they get legs and lungs?

If one man went and stayed underwater he would drown.. No gills.
So would the second man and the third and so adfinitum and no way would one start to develop gills no matter how many went in the water! Just lots of dead men.

How the heck does evolution manage it?

Blonde insomniac question.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
This made me laugh. We have a small pond in the garden of our new house which is in poor condition and I am filling in. Fished out a couple of frogs and my daily walk transported them to a nearby piece of marshland. Next day ... another frog. To cut a long story and quite a few walks later, 15 frogs ended up in the nearby Marsh.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
This made me laugh. We have a small pond in the garden of our new house which is in poor condition and I am filling in. Fished out a couple of frogs and my daily walk transported them to a nearby piece of marshland. Next day ... another frog. To cut a long story and quite a few walks later, 15 frogs ended up in the nearby Marsh.
Are you sure they wern't the same ones? Apparently they return to where they were spawned.

I used to take mine to a neighbour who grew exclusive dahlias... Frogs kept any slugs away from his veg plot.

It was a common sight to see the frogs hopping up the street and across the road to come home to me. :(

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Make sure you haven't got any newts as I'm not sure if you are allowed to 'evict' them - we have some and love seeing them which is quite rare but lovely when they suddenly pop up!

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The first fish died cos it couldn't breathe, so did the second fish and so ad infinitum. Millions of dead fish..

Why didn't they keep on dying? How did they get legs and lungs?
Individual animals don't evolve, they just live, breed and die. The population as a whole evolves.

Imagine a lake that almost dries up in a drought about every ten years. A thousand fish live in the lake, all of them slightly different from each other. Then 99% of them die in the drought. Some can survive for slightly longer than the rest. If one of them has a slight genetic mutation that means it can survive better, then it will be one of the survivors.

The survivors get to breed and populate the lake, passing the drought-resisting characteristics onto their offspring. Then it happens again. Thousands of times.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Make sure you haven't got any newts as I'm not sure if you are allowed to 'evict' them - we have some and love seeing them which is quite rare but lovely when they suddenly pop up!
No newts. Had a large pond at our last house. That had plenty of newts including great crested newts occasionally. They're the newts that are protected.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Are you sure they wern't the same ones? Apparently they return to where they were spawned.

Dead certain. Frogs all transferred within 5 days, and new home about 2 miles away. All the frogs were different sizes.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I had been dj'ing one night and driving home early hours of morning in pitch black. Was pulled up by police car I had just passed to check if I was drunk. I had to explain that I had swerved to avoid a large toad crossing the road. :(

I wasn't drunk... as the toad confirmed because he couldn't climb the pavement.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I had been dj'ing one night and driving home early hours of morning in pitch black. Was pulled up by police car I had just passed to check if I was drunk. I had to explain that I had swerved to avoid a large toad crossing the road. :(

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

DJing ... you little dark horse you! :giggle:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I took the easy option..... I took the drain bung out.
Also saves having to clear leaves and pine needles out regularly.
The crap that's collected in the empty pond is about a foot deep now and includes a plastic bottle crate, no idea where that came from.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish

Not touched a drop ociffer. But I'm seeing double :LOL:

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
we had a large pond in our garden for quite a few years, loads of frogs every year that got in and out without any help and a much higher climb up sheer sides than in the photo's.

After we filled it in we still had loads of Frogs coming back looking for it for at least the next 5 years

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back