Friendly but firm police caution re A frame in France (1 Viewer)

Lafant

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We've towed our Smart car behind our Autotrail for six years without a problem. Yesterday though, a policeman approached us while we were having a break in an Aire near the Cherbourg peninsula and told us it was illegal to use an A frame in France. Normally the fine would be 135 euros but as we were on our way home....

He was very pleasant about it, but we didn't want to press the point!

We are thinking of changing to a low loader anyway because we want to go to Spain. We're even tempted to take a lightweight motorbike or scooter on the back, despite our - how shall I put it - advancing years.

Any thoughts?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I understand they are illegal in France. (who knows) But I've seen quite a few French registered vans towing with an A Frame.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Talked to many French motorhomers this year and it is illegal to use a tow frame. Much the same as all of Europe. Depends on the policeman that stops you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My latest invention should sort these things out...
B Frame_0(1).jpg

JJ :cool:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/overs...nformation/compulsory-and-legal-requirements/
A-frames

If you are towing a car behind a motor caravan overseas, our advice would be to use a trailer with all four wheels of the car off the ground. Although most countries do not have a specific law banning A-frames, they do have a law which prohibits a motor vehicle towing another motor vehicle.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/france/
Towing

It is prohibited to tow a motor vehicle except in the case of a breakdown or an accident and if the distance to be travelled is short. This practice is totally prohibited on motorways where the assistance of a recovery vehicle must be sought.

A frame for sale together with all bits and pieces.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
So what is legal and illegal in France & the continent these days? Not that I ever want to have a toad on the back of our MH as we have E bikes, but if the A frame is the type that applies the brakes on the towed car when you brake, what is the problem? There are several companies that provide these "safe, tested, compliant" A frames up & down the country, so can we use them or not? Really confused now, please educate me.
Thanks

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
From OPs post.
We've towed our Smart car behind our Autotrail for six years without a problem. Yesterday though, a policeman approached us while we were having a break in an Aire near the Cherbourg peninsula and told us it was illegal to use an A frame in France. Normally the fine would be 135 euros but as we were on our way home....
That should be good enough.(y)(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
So what is legal and illegal in France & the continent these days? Not that I ever want to have a toad on the back of our MH as we have E bikes, but if the A frame is the type that applies the brakes on the towed car when you brake, what is the problem? There are several companies that provide these "safe, tested, compliant" A frames up & down the country, so can we use them or not? Really confused now, please educate me.
Thanks
I think you just need to read the posts in this thread. :) Lots of folk get away with it but it seems towing a car apart from in an emergency is not generally permitted in some European countries.
On a vaguely related point I'm supposed to have an aluminium reflective panel on my backbox here in Italy, where I am now - but mines plastic! :eek: Will I be stopped? Not so far. :) *

*famous last words... :xrofl:

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Yes but there,s A frames & then there are "approved" A frames, not like saying eggs is eggs.
Why are the approved braked models legal here in the Uk and not every where else, I though we would be at the top of the list with any vehicle restrictions.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Yes but there,s A frames & then there are "approved" A frames, not like saying eggs is eggs.
Why are the approved braked models legal here in the Uk and not every where else, I though we would be at the top of the list with any vehicle restrictions.
You need to follow some of the A frame threads on here you will then realise the implications.
But get some Pop corn in as they go on and on.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I
I don't believe there's any such thing as an "approved" A frame. This has all been discussed in the past on this Forum: the UK tolerates A frames because it is happy to regard them as trailers rather than cars until a Court decides otherwise. This means that, no matter what weight the car-now-trailer is, all fitted brakes must work at their intended efficiency. As far as Continental countries are concerned there is total clarity as to France and Spain. I have no idea about the rest.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
The car trailer suppliers will be happy now, but those that supplied A frames wont be, so some you win, some you lose I suppose. But I really cant see the point of toads on the back of mohos, as some have said you might as well use a caravan instead, then you have a car to use when you get there.
This must be the reason so many go from caravaning to mohos, then back to caravaning, difficult to get anything right until you have tried it I suppose.
Ah well as long as your happy eh?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A frames are NOT illegal anywhere in Europe...
They are legal to buy and own.
What is illegal, especially in Spain it seems, is towing a motor vehicle with a motor vehicle.
The law is plain and simple.
Correct. I should have talked about toads :).

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I don't think a car and caravan is the same as a motorhome with a car towed behind.

If you have left your caravan at a site (obviously not on a French aire) and pootled off in your car, how do you make a coffee or sandwich as you view the beautiful scenery at the special place you have just discovered?

What happens if you get "caught short" away from any public facilities?

What happens if you return to find that, in your neglectful absence, your caravan has become attached to another?

Freedom, flexibility and convenience all lead to a motorhome... not a caravan.

Just saying

JJ :cool:

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The car trailer suppliers will be happy now, but those that supplied A frames wont be, so some you win, some you lose I suppose. But I really cant see the point of toads on the back of mohos, as some have said you might as well use a caravan instead, then you have a car to use when you get there.
This must be the reason so many go from caravaning to mohos, then back to caravaning, difficult to get anything right until you have tried it I suppose.

Try using Aires with a caravan ;)

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Some people tow cars because they are disabled and need to;)

OP
OP
Lafant

Lafant

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We thought we were good to go with the Smart Tow system in France. But as I said, we've decided to go for a low loader.

I gather there are a lot of options with these. We'd like it to be light and as easy to store as is possible.

Any advice?

Alternatively, has anyone put a light motorbike or scooter on the back?

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
We have a trailer which we have never used, always use the smart tow a-frame, been towing my Skoda citigo from new done 12000 miles towing, in UK and France, never been stopped, maybe the french are showing more interest in punishing us Brits since the Brexit vote, JUST A THOUGHT:)

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
We have a trailer which we have never used, always use the smart tow a-frame, been towing my Skoda citigo from new done 12000 miles towing, in UK and France, never been stopped, maybe the french are showing more interest in punishing us Brits since the Brexit vote, JUST A THOUGHT:)

Then he would have fined him €135, or is it your paranoia showing of everybody foreign..;);)

OP
OP
Lafant

Lafant

Free Member
Jan 9, 2013
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Perhaps, but I think it's always been a tricky issue. And we wanted to extend this trip to Spain, impossible with an A frame. BTW, the exchange rate is punishment enough.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
As I explain to my wife on several occasions . The clue is in the name classification of our vehicles MOTORHOME. Not to be confused with a Caravan.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

They aren't legal in the UK.

The matter has never been tested in court or by parliament so they aren't specifically illegal either. That's as far as it goes no matter what the salesman might tell you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back