Friend doubting my plans (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
A good friend has commented on our upcoming trip with the MH to Greece, saying that planning it would be too complicated for him, but can anyone see the problem in this itinerary:-

Dep Katowice

Night wilding in very South of Poland

Transit Slovakia in under 8 hours (Covid rules)

Enter Austria (pre-bought Go Box)(both EU Residents and Vaccinated)

Night on Stellplatz in Austria

Enter Italy, one night on Aosta (36-hour transit limit)

Ancona – Patras ferry (Camping on deck)

Drive to Poros

Collect personal belongings and books from my old boat (My friend and new owner has sent key)

Two nights around there seeing old mates

Ferry Piraeus-Patmos

Two weeks on Patmos, parking in various bays I know well and meeting up with old friends

Park MH at boatyard (pre-arranged)

Ferry with cabin back to Piraeus arr 1010

1530 flight to Krakow, taxi home.

------------2 months later-----------

Flights Krakow-Athens-Samos

One night in hotel/rooms on Samos

Catamaran to Patmos, collect MH

Two weeks on Patmos with my friends who visit in September

Ferry to Piraeus

Two weeks touring Peloponnese

Ferry (camping on deck) to Bari (Ancona/Venice routes full- will check again nearer the time for cancellations)

Drive through Italy(max 36 hours transit)

One night Austria

Transit Slovakia

Arrive Katowice

Will have only left Basia’s Mother for just over 4 wekls

What could possibly go wrong???? Fortunately in most of the Greek places I know the agents and 'Mr-fix-its'

Geoff

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
he is probably just someone like myself, likes to drop and go and make plans along the way

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Sounds good Geoff. Wish I could do it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
he is probably just someone like myself, likes to drop and go and make plans along the way

No, actually he does a lot of research and planning but it is usually just Mhoming with a ferry thrown in, so not the flying back and forth, with multiple ferries that we have to do for Basia's Mum, and with far-flung islands thrown in.

If we had the choice we would be out there for 3 months.

Geoff

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
Enjoy 😊 if anything goes slightly wrong it will be ok ✅ just have a great time and don’t worry

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Just do it Geoff, sounds like a good plan if your not doing all the driving (y)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I don't have the desire or patience to plan trips and adopt the same 'no pressure' approach to motorhoming as I did in my yachting days in that if I'm asked where I'll be going I reply: "I'll be heading towards.............(insert non-specific region, place etc. here)."

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I don't have the desire or patience to plan trips and adopt the same 'no pressure' approach to motorhoming as I did in my yachting days in that if I'm asked where I'll be going I reply: "I'll be heading towards.............(insert non-specific place here)."
‘Owrgate’!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We did a 6 month tour. We moved nearly every day. We had a bunch of interesting points plotted on a map. A rough idea what sequence we wanted to visit them. A few of them had dates attached like festivals and some motor races we wanted to see. Every few days we'd plan the next few days, just to make sure we had somewhere to do the cloths washing. We had almost nothing booked more than a few days in advance. We had the most amazing time. Just wing it.

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I don't have the desire or patience to plan trips and adopt the same 'no pressure' approach to motorhoming as I did in my yachting days in that if I'm asked where I'll be going I reply: "I'll be heading towards.............(insert non-specific region, place etc. here)."

I have only planned the transport to get to/from but nothing once we are in Greece, except picking up stuff from my old boat at some point.

As for 'where are you heading?' on a boat, my reply was always 'I am going outside the harbour and then I will decide'. I actually cannot remember a time I turned back - I was always prepared to do so, but I can remember times that I changed directions, which was always easy in the Aegean as there was always another island downwind, usually with one harbour/bay in the shelter. In all my years sailing in Greece I cannot recall ever beating to windward, close on the wind in a F6-7 for near 13 hours yes(God I was tired after that one), but not actually tacking into wind.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back