Fridge (1 Viewer)

thechesters

Free Member
Jul 23, 2009
Funster No
We are newbies ( or new in teh fact that we havnt had a camper in millions of years!). Anyway, it is a self build and looking very nice- a transit conversion. The one thing we still havnt got is a fridge,. We are thinking of going down the compressor fridge route- anyone any brilliant ideas on this plus best place to buy one from. We aer located in N wales.

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Compressor fridges are good and used in most expedition vehicles because of their reliability (and lack of gas need.)

Be aware of the power consumption and the need for a good battery capacity.

My basic calculations suggested that 40W fridge on 12v means 3.3 amps if it runs for 8 of the 24 hours thats 26.7 amp/hours to come from your battery every day. At 20 deg C consumption might drop to 16 amp/hour at 40 deg C increase to 32 amp/hour. It will depend on how much has to be cooled down and how often you open the door.

WAECO make good fridge either of the lift-a-lid type (more efficient) or conventional front door jobs. Our van came with a Waeco installed.

Just Google Waeco compressor fridge and lots of suppliers will come up.

::bigsmile:
Keith

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

Keith has pretty much covered it, all I would add is to consider a good sized solar panel if you intend to do free camping..

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
My basic calculations suggested that 40W fridge on 12v means 3.3 amps if it runs for 8 of the 24 hours thats 26.7 amp/hours to come from your battery every day.

Keith

In my opinion these figures are definitely NOT CORRECT.

Consider your domestic fridge which is similar in design to the 12V compressor fridge. Are you saying that it runs 20 minutes in every hour? If so there is somthing wrong with your fridge.

I have a 12V compressor fridge and I have to admit that I have not done any serious research into how long it runs but during the night it only comes on for a short time and only then at lengthy intervals. Far less than 20 minutes per hour.

During the day when the door is opened occassionaly it will obviously run for longer periods.

Upvote 0

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
we have a waeco compressor fridge and are really pleased with it.
we only use hook-up if we are staying in one place for more than 2 nights, we have a 110ah battery and it rarely goes below 66% capacity - [only really use fridge and lights if not on hookup]
can't help with the tekkie bits - electricity is way beyond my simplistic grasp on life :Doh:
but can recommend compressor fridges - wouldn't go back to other lot in any future van

Upvote 0

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
In my opinion these figures are definitely NOT CORRECT.

I have a 12V compressor fridge and I have to admit that I have not done any serious research into how long it runs but during the night it only comes on for a short time and only then at lengthy intervals. Far less than 20 minutes per hour.

During the day when the door is opened occassionaly it will obviously run for longer periods.

Not really a good basis to make such a definite statement or, did you stay awake to all night?:ROFLMAO: or timed it throughout the day?

Far better to rely on Technical Data published by manufacturers.

Power Consumption-Refrigerators - WAECO mobile solutions ::bigsmile:

I actually took the figures from another site but can't find it now but they are pretty much accepted as you can see in the table where running times and total power consumption is shown for various models at two different temperatures.

:Smile:
Keith

Upvote 0

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
OK here's the technical info on the Waeco fridge we have:
Link Removed a 90L compressor fridge that uses approx 45 watts with 35% power consumption at 20 deg C and 50% at 32 deg C assuming a 5 deg C internal temp.

All the Waeco fridges are listed here so individual performances can be checked:

Link Removed

Waeco fridges use the Danfoss compressor that many other manufacturers use so there won't be a big difference between manufacturers I would have thought.

Keith

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Not really a good basis to make such a definite statement or, did you stay awake to all night?:ROFLMAO: or timed it throughout the day?

Far better to rely on Technical Data published by manufacturers.

Power Consumption-Refrigerators - WAECO mobile solutions ::bigsmile:

I actually took the figures from another site but can't find it now but they are pretty much accepted as you can see in the table where running times and total power consumption is shown for various models at two different temperatures.

Keith

I'm

I know for an ABSOLUTE FACT, WITHOUT ANY DOUBT WHATSOEVER, TO A CERTAINTY OF 100% that my fridge is not on for 20 minutes in the hour, day or night. At night it is only on for a few minutes each hour. Obviously during the day it depends on how frequently and for how long the door is open as well as how much warm food has been placed in the fridge.

I'm fed up with morons always jumping on people.

People like this are best ignored.

Let's gt back to this where we can all make and opinon oin a friendly manner

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The Waeco compresor fridge is superb,we use one to bring back the fish from Norway.We use it in the freezer mode and it always keeps frozen as long as the stuff inside is not packed to tightly.You must allow air circulation.Dam good product but not cheap.

Upvote 0
Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
I have a small lifting lid type fridge freezer made by Engel. Fantastic bit of kit, 240 and 12 volt. uses very little power on 12 volt. not really bothered on 240 but know it is very good.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

thechesters

Free Member
Jul 23, 2009
Funster No
Just back from france and we did buy a fridge 12v or electric hook up,. stopped working suddenlyon day 1( nearly came home!) but now fine andso good that we had to turn the temp up cos the wine had ice cubes in it!

Upvote 0

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Our first motorhome 5 years ago had a weaco compressor fridge fitted, it also only had 85 amp hour battery, the fridge was brill and we never run out of 12 volt power. and i'm sure it never run 20 mins in a hour. I wish our present motorhome had a compressor fridge.

John.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back