Fridge works on gas but not very well (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Jim, yes i'll re-drill and tap that thread with a 0.5mm bigger (was too lazy last time...) But i'll still strip and clean the burner assembly as well as clean the flue, proper job required this time as my Rump Steak went off in the "warm fridge" over the WE and the dog had his best dinner for ages :LOL:

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
While it's stripped out you may as well clean the lot, flue, burner and jet, cans of compressed air can be bought at pound land or similar for cleaning computers etc. Always keep one in my van now plus a couple of drinking straws taped together, brill for easy access to the burner. (y)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ours is almost always debris in the pipe before the jet so while its out turn the fridge to gas and it will blow it out

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Best to take off the jet at least before doing any work, and only blow air through it,don't use wire or you may enlarge the jet orifice. Once that's out of the way you can then clean the flue, brush around the burner etc, if you have power, use a domestic vac cleaner with a hose and crevise nozzle and give everything a good vaccuming, clean off any crud or rust inside the burner area with a good stiff brush.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
1) clean the flue (much easier now the top T piece is removable)
2) take a large hammer to the burner assembly and jet and then replace.....

Did i miss something ?

When you cleaned the flue last time, did the flue have the diffuser/baffle in place? If not that will reduce the effectiveness of gas operatio. They are readily available on e-bay:

Flue Baffle

Ian

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
And when you are up and running, another little job would be to fit a couple of fans in the upper grill area to help the fridge cool, even more (y)

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Looking at the photos there seems to be a lot of dry rust around the burner area, this probably has come down the flue by vibration as you drive along and is another reason for cleaning the flue from time to time. That rust, as well as dead spiders can block the burner rose so its well worth disconnecting the feed pipe and inverting the burner. When you undo the pipe- with the gas off of course- be very careful not to loose the jet, it doesnt look like a jet just a dished washer and I know from experience it can fall down the gap betwen the wall and the cardboardy stuff that acts as a floor under the whole unit.
When the flame is on its not very big so any error like the burner hanging too low! can make a big difference.
Can I also add that as I understand it you should only be doing any gas work like this on your own kit unless you are registered. Sorry to be so boring but hope all this helps
Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back