LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you put them on in winter to prevent some damage to the fridge and can still safely use the fridge below 10 degrees ambient temperature

Reactions: GJH
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Can also be useful when a strong wind is blowing straight into the vent and to keep excess water out when washing the van.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
re this thread, do you cover both vents or just the top vent or just the bottom vent?
I would never cover the top vent with the fridge in use. Never used either of ours and we've been in France down to -1.5°c ambient and it's fine.

Edit: I'd consider the top vent for the atctic circle 😊

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
They make the fridge more efficient during the winter. Can't remember the figures but the fridge heater/ matrix has to reach a temperature to work correctly.
If the air temp is too cold at the back of the fridge, I think control works too hard and so doing causes the fridge to freeze everything and wastes power.
I may be wrong.
We certainly don't need the covers at the moment, (see flag on avatar) :sun: :cool:

Mar 8, 2021
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr E599
Exp
I've not long bought a second hand motorhome and I didn't realise that vent covers were a thing. There was none supplied with the van and I intend to use it all year round, so I'll need to look into getting some.

I'm now wondering if there's anything else that I don't know, that I should?? I did learn the hard way last winter with the campervan of not draining the system down and destroyed a water pump and kitchen tap in the process. I don't intent on doing that with the motorhome.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
If the fridge is or can run on gas, don’t fit the top cover if it blocks the vent for the burner - not sure how obvious that’ll be on your fridge.
We’ve different sized covers so it’ll be pretty hard to get wrong 😂

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
If the fridge is or can run on gas, don’t fit the top cover if it blocks the vent for the burner - not sure how obvious that’ll be on your fridge.
We’ve different sized covers so it’ll be pretty hard to get wrong 😂
The covers I've previously had still left some vent area. If the manufacturer's instructions recommend it, it should be fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I usually fit both of mine at +8 and they work very well. Never had an issue with them.

I read the manual and did what it says from the manufacture, simples.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back