Fridge Vent fan install at last. (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Just a quick post to say that I have (at last) done the fan install...
I used a strip of 1 inch metal roof joist banding to attach the 2 PC fans to the lower lip of upper fridge vent grill opening. I then removed the lower vent grille and screwed a tupperware type small box to the L/H side of the opening wall. Took a feed and earth from the fridge loom and via an on off switch, attached the controller, then stowed it in the aforementioned box ( via a small access hole in the side of it ). That allows me to turn off the system when the van is parked up at home with the fridge turned off.
Plugged in the temperature sensing bulb and hung that from the "roof" of the top grille hole just above the
fridge fins.
Wired both PC fans through said small hole in box.
Switched it on... and Bingo, it all lit up...
The controller (which I can view through the transparent lid of the box), showed the current ambient temperature also the cut-in temp in one window and cut-out temp in the 3rd window..
I can adjust both cut in and out temp's later ( by removing the lid of the box ) when I fire up the fridge and test the system...
Next day, I was helping a mate, and I fell off the ladder. ! ! ! !
So... Nothing broke (y) BUT, feeling very sore, as I fell on my ribcage, and the intercostal's are a "bit bruised."..
So will test the install when feeling less sorry for myself ;)
Good luck with your installs, if you haven't already done them (Mel Et Al ......)
Mitch.

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Robert.
Feeling quite pleased and wondering (once again) why I prevaricate for so long before doing these things...
But I hate looking at finished jobs and thinking "I WISH I had done it another way" ! ! !
Thats my excuse anyway ! ! !
Mitch.

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Just a quick post to say that I have (at last) done the fan install...
I used a strip of 1 inch metal roof joist banding to attach the 2 PC fans to the lower lip of upper fridge vent grill opening. I then removed the lower vent grille and screwed a tupperware type small box to the L/H side of the opening wall. Took a feed and earth from the fridge loom and via an on off switch, attached the controller, then stowed it in the aforementioned box ( via a small access hole in the side of it ). That allows me to turn off the system when the van is parked up at home with the fridge turned off.
Plugged in the temperature sensing bulb and hung that from the "roof" of the top grille hole just above the
fridge fins.
Wired both PC fans through said small hole in box.
Switched it on... and Bingo, it all lit up...
The controller (which I can view through the transparent lid of the box), showed the current ambient temperature also the cut-in temp in one window and cut-out temp in the 3rd window..
I can adjust both cut in and out temp's later ( by removing the lid of the box ) when I fire up the fridge and test the system...
Next day, I was helping a mate, and I fell off the ladder. ! ! ! !
So... Nothing broke (y) BUT, feeling very sore, as I fell on my ribcage, and the intercostal's are a "bit bruised."..
So will test the install when feeling less sorry for myself ;)
Good luck with your installs, if you haven't already done them (Mel Et Al ......)
Mitch.

Any chance of photos? I'm thinking of fitting some this winter ready for Europe trip next year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I was offered a unit in Spain for around €40 which included two fans and an automatic control. The fans clip inside the top vent blowing outwards.

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
I'm thinking of ordering one of these

Or with a wider programmer

Cant really see the difference in use.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The different controller is the only difference I think, I fitted the cheaper one errr I mean the smaller one(y)

€54.50 inc delivery from Netherlands.

Martin

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I bought two fans and a thermal switch from China for about £5, fitted them a couple of months ago, noticeable difference was that the fridge was much more efficient, didn't need to have it on high at all.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
What temp have you set?
Is the sensor behind the top or bottom vent ?

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I bought two fans and a thermal switch from China for about £5, fitted them a couple of months ago, noticeable difference was that the fridge was much more efficient, didn't need to have it on high at all.
Did exactly the same as Les, works perfect!!
Just need to be patient when waiting for gear to come from China.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Many people used a couple of computer fans which seem to have worked for them.
It is only when I have been in the southernmost part of Spain mid-summer, that real problems have arisen. Otherwise, our Dometic Fridge Freezer has done a good job. Serious beer drinkers who want really cold beer should certainly buy the twin fans to impress me when they offer me a beer.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I fitted a CBE kit a few weeks ago. It is virtually silent with brushless motors, and has made the fridge noticeably more efficient. I now run it on setting no 3-4 instead of 6 and it’s so much colder.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
After a lot of experimenting set my controller at 36 degrees and differential 5 degrees, a good compromise been working well here in Spain this last 7 weeks in high 20's temperatures.

Reactions: DBK
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I fitted the CBE kit a few months ago and you can hardly hear it, the fridge certainly cools quicker but it hasn’t been tested in really hot weather yet.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
In Seville this summer, our freezer managed -4 but the fridge would not go below +13. So I will certainly opt for beer a little cooler than that next summer.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
What temp have you set?
Is the sensor behind the top or bottom vent ?
The temperature setting seems a bit experimental, between 30 - 40 seems a good starting point, probably depends on where the thermal sensor is sited.

My fans are fitted to the top ventilation grill (as are most I think) extracting the heat out, the sensor is between them.

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Cliffdale, Robert and Bart..
I got the control board on the internet and the item was called :- (( -50 to 110°C Digital Heat Cool Temp Thermostat Temperature Control Switch DC12V )) It cost me £2.29 including postage, and came from China ! ! ! ! Air freight ! ! ! Mine has 3 windows, but some use just one.
It's only about 3inches by 4inches and less than an inch deep.
I have mounted the heat sensor bulb (which came with the board) hanging just about an inch above the fridge piping, but may have to play with this when I get to test the system and will adjust the cut-in and cut-out settings at the same time..
I will send a couple of photos when I am more mobile (Fell off a ladder).
The 2 PC fans are mounted (blowing out) on the lower edge of the upper fridge vent aperture.
I WILL run up the fridge for a test ASAP.
Mitch.

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
May I politely suggest that you let your previous accident heal before 'running up' anything
Very polite and very funny.
Its spitting rain at the mo, but I want to make sure, that what I've done works..
Oh ye of little faith.
Mitch.

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Here as promised 2 photos of my install.
2 fans in the upper aperture and the control panel in its box, mounted on the inside of the lower aperture.
Mitch.
PS. It took me as long to upload the 2 photos as it did to do the job ! ! ! !

20171105_122954.jpg
20171105_123017.jpg

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
PS to the above.
I wired the 2 fans into a connector also mounted beside the fans, so if they go Pete Tong, I can swap them without disturbing the remaining system.
Mitch.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Can you tell me, does this setup need a fuse on the + if so what amp please
I`ve ordered the controller and fans so Its my mini project for the winter.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Can you tell me, does this setup need a fuse on the + if so what amp please
I`ve ordered the controller and fans so Its my mini project for the winter.
For me when i do mine i will deffo be installing a fuse and a switch to disable it , as for the size of fuse i'll start with the smallest size fuse i have as these fans draw little power as they are PC fans.
as to what actual size one of our electronically Genesis will be able to answer that.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
For me when i do mine i will deffo be installing a fuse and a switch to disable it , as for the size of fuse i'll start with the smallest size fuse i have as these fans draw little power as they are PC fans.
as to what actual size one of our electronically Genesis will be able to answer that.

At 12V DC each Arctic F12 fan draws 0.071A.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
20171106_120724.jpg
20171106_120733.jpg

Mine are looking a bit dusty now.
The off switch is on the controller box. I think I used a 5 or 10 amp fuse on the supply. I put a power on LED under the switch but I made it quite dim.

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
I HAVE used an in line "on-off" switch, as I don't want it on all the time its just parked up the top of our garden.
But the current draw is SO minuscule, I haven't bothered with a separate fuse, because I have taken my feed and earth, from the fridge supply, so if anything goes Pete Tong the fuse will blow anyway.
Also my box is VERY unprofessional when compared to Richard and Ann's set up.
BUT, it IS a waterproof plastic box.... ;););)
Mitch.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I HAVE used an in line "on-off" switch, as I don't want it on all the time its just parked up the top of our garden.
But the current draw is SO minuscule, I haven't bothered with a separate fuse, because I have taken my feed and earth, from the fridge supply, so if anything goes Pete Tong the fuse will blow anyway.
Also my box is VERY unprofessional when compared to Richard and Ann's set up.
BUT, it IS a waterproof plastic box.... ;););)
Mitch.
Naw, stop doing yourself down.:(
You can see the gubbins inside of yours.(y)
They've only got a stoopit wee led light whereas you've got Houston Mission Control visibilty!;)(y)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Naw, stop doing yourself down.:(
You can see the gubbins inside of yours.(y)
They've only got a stoopit wee led light whereas you've got Houston Mission Control visibilty!;)(y)
As long as no Tuna mayo was harmed in the making of the housing I'm all for it :D2(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back