Fridge vent covers - necessary, worthwhile option or waste of money? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
L

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Sorry about this, dibber trouble.

We live in SW ish France and spend 3 months of the winter in Portugal. The only time our MH is subjected to cold weather (when in use) is en route through even more southerly France, Spain and Portugal 5 or 6 nights each way. We usually park on sites so rarely use gas to run our fridge.

I have always considered these vent covers to be a waste but some kind person has filled my wife's head with doubts and I have to dispel them or not.

FWIW there is a cooling fan which takes excessive heat away from the hot area of the fridge, in theory anyway.

Thanks in advance, I know that you will know.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We've got them but only used them once as they seem to impact the cooling performance of the freezer \ fridge.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
An absorption fridge works by heating the fluid in the system to a certain temperature range for it to work and the problem can be that when it is a very cold outside air temperature that stops the heating of the fluid reaching that temperature range, so by fitting the vent covers it restricts the amount of cold air coming in so allowing the heat to build, but as Lenny said it's likely you will only need to use the bottom vent cover.

Deleted User
We've got them but only used them once as they seem to impact the cooling performance of the freezer \ fridge.

Agreed. I put them on according to the handbook and the freezer defrosted probably because the heat couldn't get away. I now only use them when cleaning the van.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have two, one goes on the bottom fridge vent if its very cold (rarely) and the other on the identical vent for the oven which otherwise lets in a chilly draught (more often).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our Carthago has just one large wall vent at the bottom of the fridge with a roof vent in place of the upper wall one. The winter cover is one that goes inside the vent cover rather than over it but I don't know whether we'll need to use it normally but I'll keep it in the MH just in case we get stuck at the top of a mountain in a snow storm (yes it's happened before now!).

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
Anyone know what the official recommendation are for using the fridge on gas with the vents on.

Both vents on or only the bottom, or only the top.

What do the manufacturers say.

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Not the top it will melt. I only put the bottom one on when brass monkeys below 5 degrees.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Anyone know what the official recommendation are for using the fridge on gas with the vents on.

Both vents on or only the bottom, or only the top.

What do the manufacturers say.
If I remember correctly the manual says when below 10°c

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
We were at Chatsworth one winter at -4 and they worked a treat: however, we typically use them when the van is in storage or in transit to stop a lot of crap getting in.....

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Ok so i wasn’t going to get too technical on this but just had a look at the climate class of my fridge which states “SN” which means +10 degrees. So the theory is below 10 degrees the fridge wont work, thats when you need to fit The covers, but if using gas not the top one, trust me it melts ?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
In windy weather it stops the gas blowing out with the lower cover on. In really cold weather with helps with the operation of the fridge.

OP
OP
L

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Thank you for all your input (I do not want to appear rude).

Will search for user handbook to determine model number (Electrolux) and then search for cover(s) online.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back