Fridge stopped working on electric (2 Viewers)

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Away for the weekend in the van and the fridge has stopped working on electric, I have switched to gas and the alarms have stopped. Odd thing is all of the lights plus control panel is still working but the fridge alarms when you switch it to mains or 12v , I have checked the fuses and they seem OK,
Any ideas?

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
does the fridge light come on?
some fridges have a panel that has batteries in it...........

what make and model of fridge is it?

wish i could help but im sure someone else will be able to ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Unusual to have a fridge that works on 12v withoutvthe engine running, a relay usually prevents that.
There have been a few descriptions on here where when power fell below a level capable of running the fridge then it switched to gas. You can still show mains electric as on, and many other things will work, but some fridges require a minimum power level. Many causes for this, but usually a heavy use locally on your site, such as lots using electric heaters of various kinds who would not normally.

OP
OP
Rugeley Tim
Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
It is a domesic 3 way fridge freezer ( full size fridge) fitted in a Autotrail Savanah, it seems to be working OK on gas at the moment and I have full tanks so not worried about the beer warming up but I hate it when things don' work !!

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
im assumin the alarm indicates that it is not getting power from 12v or 240?, as previously mentioned, most fridges run of 12v when vehicle running, then on 240 if hook up present.

is there another fuse somewhere?

do you have the manual?, what model nu,mber is the fridge?

OP
OP
Rugeley Tim
Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
I have checked all the fuses in the main boards and all appear OK not sure if there is an in line fuse somewhere behind the fridge, any ideas?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
have you definitely got mains power? does your controller show voltage? on charge battery would be over 13V

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rugeley Tim
Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Checked all the boards and no idea what' wrong, have been here for several hours with the fridge working on mains but the alarm went off about an hour ago and it hasn't worked since that' why I thought I had blowed a fuse but having checked (several times) they all semi OK. Knowing my luck a terminal fault just before Christmas!!

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
This happened to us today I thought it could be poor electric supply as half the site keeps tripping so switched fridge of went out put back on when we came back all fine now but I remembered I hadn’t put my fridge vent covers on

OP
OP
Rugeley Tim
Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
The model number is a DOMETIC RMD85X5 have looked at the trouble shooting page but still no idea, only thing I can think of is a lack of power through the hook up ( shared block with 4 other pitches) or a blown circuit. Thanks for all your help so far, as usual Funster are always there to provide help and advice. It is currently minus 3 outside but the heating is working on gas and leccy and we are warm and cosy and the vino rouge is at a nice temperature so no need to send out the SOS just yet lol.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
You say your heating is working on gas and leccy. Turn the leccy heating off and check if the fridge comes on. Make sure the kettle is off at the same time, even if low wattage.

OP
OP
Rugeley Tim
Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Tried turning off the heating and switching on the fridge, been out and fitted the vents (for the first time ever) but still not working still confused that the control panel and lights are working but alarming on mains, will try unhooking and starting the engine to check the 12v in the morning.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
These are usually quite tolerant of voltage variation, largely because it only heats an element to make the gasses "work". However much of the control electronics can be intolerant and will cut out. If it persists check the Voltage at the connection to the fridge. BTW the DOMETIC RMD85X5 does not appear in the Dometic Manual search?. RMD85 series. The elements have been know to fail.

OP
OP
Rugeley Tim
Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Guys after all the trials and tribulations the bloody thing has started working again, can only think that it is the fridge vents that have done the job. Having lived in Germany and done several very cold cold christmas markets across Europe I am really surprised but I can' think of anything else. Grateful for all your support and advice. Funster come up trumps once again XX

OP
OP
Rugeley Tim
Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Blue mooner thanks for suggesting the vents, seems to have done the trick, we ar sat next to a lake with a very very cold wind blowing a hooly directly onto the fridge so can only think that was the problem.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Site power supplies are hideously unreliable. I have a device that I plug into one of the sockets to ensure correct power supply before I start looking for issues.
Our fridge started flicking over to gas this year on a site In Italy. I plugged in the device, discovered that we were only getting 200v, thus the fridge 'thought' there was a supply issue and went to gas!
Many things can affect the fridge, but glad it's all working now.

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Blue mooner thanks for suggesting the vents, seems to have done the trick, we ar sat next to a lake with a very very cold wind blowing a hooly directly onto the fridge so can only think that was the problem.
Fridge just gone of again think I will put vents on in the morning

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Unusual to have a fridge that works on 12v withoutvthe engine running, a relay usually prevents that.
There have been a few descriptions on here where when power fell below a level capable of running the fridge then it switched to gas. You can still show mains electric as on, and many other things will work, but some fridges require a minimum power level. Many causes for this, but usually a heavy use locally on your site, such as lots using electric heaters of various kinds who would not normally.
Mine works on 12v when engine isn't running

I have to make a point of not leaving it on auto as it seems to stay on 12v instead of switching to gas.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Mine works on 12v when engine isn't running

That would suggest that the Heating element was having to work too hard, Introducing the Vent covers reduces the extra cooling effect of the wind.

I have to make a point of not leaving it on auto as it seems to stay on 12v instead of switching to gas.

I suggest you have got an issue with the Fridge control unit, it should automatically change over when supply is available usually, Prioritised as 240/Gas/12V (only when the engine is running). Test the 12V supply at the frig; start the Engine and see if it increases the voltage, that indicates the "relay" (nowadays solid state) is working.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I leave Mine on "Auto". It then selects the supply, in the order 240/Gas/12V. The 12v supply is normally just for when on the road and the Batteries are being charged. Must admit I have never tried to run on 12V when not charging?. I will have to look into it, as it`s not something I would recommend. Still you learn something new every day!(y)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I leave Mine on "Auto". It then selects the supply, in the order 240/Gas/12V. The 12v supply is normally just for when on the road and the Batteries are being charged. Must admit I have never tried to run on 12V when not charging?. I will have to look into it, as it`s not something I would recommend. Still you learn something new every day!(y)
That's when mine plays up as if I have it on auto ...it should flick from 12v to gas after 15 minutes but it doesn't it tends to just stay on 12v and eats the batteries.
So I stopped using auto and just flick it over myself.
Although lately I've stopped putting it on 12v when driving as it is often cold enough to last till I'm stopped and it's back on gas

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back