Fridge running 12v (1 Viewer)

Taff Thomas

Free Member
Apr 7, 2018
Deepest Kernow
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Ok, we have an Electrolux fridge of the 240v / 12v / gas variety. We have run it on mains for a few weeks, and the gas seems to work, but not truly tested it yet.

When we come to running it on 12 v, I believe that some only run when the engine is running, is there a way to check this?

Also, forgive my ignorance, should it be started at 12v with or without the engine running first?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I assume you have the older model of fridge like mine.. ie manual energy selection and not the later AES (Auto Energy Selection)

On 12v battery selection it will only work when engine is running.. select 12v then start engine.. it doesn't matter whether you select before or after you start up.. it won't draw current until the engine is started.

take it for a run, but it will take a while to feel the cold on the evaporator plate..
Before a trip I pre-cool ours on the 240v overnight, then switch to battery when before setting off.

when you park up.. return to gas or 240v if on EHU

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've recently discovered on here some MHs can run on 12 volts with the engine off but I think most don't. If yours is the latter type, which is most common, you can switch it to the 12 volt setting then start the engine as the feed to the fridges will be controlled by a relay which won't close until the engine is running.

If your fridge can run off the leisure batteries you should be able to easily tell - turn it on and see if the volts drop significantly.

Otherwise apart from getting a voltmeter out and checking the feed to the fridge I can't think of any way to check if it is working with the engine running other than going for a long drive. :)

(All as Jim said - slow typing :))

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've recently discovered on here some MHs can run on 12 volts with the engine off but I think most don't.

yes, me also.. everyday day's a school day :)

As far as I know it's on later models that can use surplus solar energy. .. waiting to be corrected ;)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
yes, me also.. everyday day's a school day :)

As far as I know it's on later models that can use surplus solar energy. .. waiting to be corrected ;)
Ours is 2005 build N+B and runs of the leisure batteries, Dometic RM7605 model.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back