Fridge rating (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
If like us you find your fridge is not working too well in Spain or other hot places it's because it is rated to work in the UK. There are four (CEN Standard) Climate Class ratings.

Fridges rated 'SN', and 'N' (which stands for Sub Normal, and Normal respectively) are designed and rated to work up to 32 degrees C.

Fridges marked 'ST', (which stands for Sub Tropical) are designed and rated to work up to 36 degrees C. Those marked 'T' (which stands for Tropical) are designed and rated to work up to 43 degrees C.

A correctly installed fridge Climate Class rated fridge can be relied upon to work satisfactorily up to the highest ambient temperature for which it is rated. But once past that temperature, cooling performance is likely to drop off.

This is something to bear in mind if you spend a lot of time in hot places and have to replace your fridge like we have to. UK gets rated SN you can find the rating on the sticker inside the fridge.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I just looked on my fridge plate and not suprised it`s a SN
Explains a lot, presumably it`s the temp behind the fridge that is relevant ? so explains why the fans are effective, up to a point.

OP
OP
mogbl
Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
The rating is for ambient temperature so if like most of us your fridge is on the door side of the van you face this towards the sun so it makes it even harder for the fridge to work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Household fridge rated T (made in Australia) RV fridge/freezer rated SN-T works really well in hot (even on low setting) and is specified for exterior use as well (a lot of fridge freezers are not rated for this)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Learnt something there. Checked mine it's an SN, crazy when you consider a vast majorty of Motorhomes are often used in Southern Europe.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Interesting, didn't know that either.. just checked mine, SN

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My 8505 is bigger than any of them and its only SN.

yes, doesn't just go by size.. unfortunately there isn't a search filter for the Climate Class

for example, this is the small RM 122 , rated N, there are several other small models with that rating

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I worked in Curry’s way back in the 1960s and one day I sold a fridge to a black gentleman he asked me do you deliver ? I said yes he said ok here is my address it was in Lagos Nigeria .He was a doctor and was going home.We had to send the fridge back to Hotpoint to be tropicalised and then had to take it To the docks after having it packed for export .my manager was not best pleased with all the extra costs and banished me to the basement on the bike dept.the next day two ladies dressed in their national dress came in they were from Ghana so I did a runner until they had been served .:LOL:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
send the fridge back to Hotpoint to be tropicalised

just for info.. from the link I posted..

"Be clear regarding this: a statement that a fridge is 'tropicalised' does not imply that it meets Climate Class 'T' requirements."

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If like us you find your fridge is not working too well in Spain or other hot places it's because it is rated to work in the UK. There are four (CEN Standard) Climate Class ratings.

Fridges rated 'SN', and 'N' (which stands for Sub Normal, and Normal respectively) are designed and rated to work up to 32 degrees C.

Fridges marked 'ST', (which stands for Sub Tropical) are designed and rated to work up to 36 degrees C. Those marked 'T' (which stands for Tropical) are designed and rated to work up to 43 degrees C.

A correctly installed fridge Climate Class rated fridge can be relied upon to work satisfactorily up to the highest ambient temperature for which it is rated. But once past that temperature, cooling performance is likely to drop off.

This is something to bear in mind if you spend a lot of time in hot places and have to replace your fridge like we have to. UK gets rated SN you can find the rating on the sticker inside the fridge.
Yes it is the same with condensing units on industrial equipment. You have to specify what temp you want.
We are rated as "sub normal" as well, which I find very hurtful. :(:cry:

Should I report this as a hate crime to the police?

It is to do with the B word:sneaky:

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
So what makes a fridge a certain Cilmate class... ie how do i turn my dometic useless peice of crap that does not work when the sun shines, into something that will keep my ice cream frozen. is it just a PCB board change

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
So what makes a fridge a certain Cilmate class... ie how do i turn my dometic useless peice of crap that does not work when the sun shines, into something that will keep my ice cream frozen
No chance just put up with runny ice cream like the rest of us.:rofl:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So what makes a fridge a certain Cilmate class... ie how do i turn my dometic useless peice of crap that does not work when the sun shines, into something that will keep my ice cream frozen. is it just a PCB board change
No It would require mostly new mechanicals. condenser , evaporator. etc.
easier to buy a replacement rated at T.Than try to modify the existing.

Every time I go to the local hospital here it reminds me of a nightmare Carrier purpose built skid unit we had in the UK for maintaining egg incubators at correct temp- unfortunately it was specified with too low a condensing temp & on a hot day the first stage would trip ,the secondary unit would start & obviously this would trip`:rolleyes:. Problem was it was impossible to restart without hosing down the condensers with cold water. Which meant you had to have 2 people.

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Didn't know that ether, just checked my Thetford T1090 rated at N or ST, you get a choice. :D

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back