Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I've read that running a fridge when the van is not level can be detrimental to the life of the fridge. I also understand that the fridge uses different technology to run on gas, mains or 12 volt. If I have to leave the van parked where I cannot get it level does it make any difference if I leave the fridge running on mains or 12 volt?
Our van is wired so I can do either and I can keep the battery topped up with the mains supply.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The fridge uses the same technology regardless of energy type, it uses either gas burner, a 12v heating element or a 240v heating element to heat the refrigerant.
I have heard some say it shortens the life if not level but I've never seen any evidence of it. If not level the refrigerant does not circulate properly, some fridges are more tolerant than others we have found the large Dometic fridge freezers very tolerant of angle had them running OK on quite steep slopes.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Unless you have a special fridge you will not be able to run it on 12v without the engine running (ie while parked up)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mustaphapint

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Unless you have a special fridge you will not be able to run it on 12v without the engine running (ie while parked up)

Depends on how your van is wired, you can on Hymers but batteries don't last long.:D
Our van is wired so the fridge can run on 12 volts anytime. We frequently leave it on for short periods (up to a couple of hours). In this case I'm parked on a sloping drive and I could leave the fridge on battery while still connected to the mains indefinitely. However according to Lenny's explanation there isn't any point. I thought I'd read somewhere that 12v uses a different cooling method to 240v (absorption or something) but apparently not.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our van is wired so the fridge can run on 12 volts anytime. We frequently leave it on for short periods (up to a couple of hours). In this case I'm parked on a sloping drive and I could leave the fridge on battery while still connected to the mains indefinitely. However according to Lenny's explanation there isn't any point. I thought I'd read somewhere that 12v uses a different cooling method to 240v (absorption or something) but apparently not.
You might be half remembering something about 12 volt compressor refrigerators. The vast majority of caravan and MH 'fridges are absorption types which run on 12 volt, 240 volt or gas but as mentioned, the only difference is how they heat the fairy dust which circulates around the gubbins inside. :)
12 volt compressor' fridges work like a typical domestic 'fridge in that they have an electrically driven compressor moving the fairy dust around. These type of' fridge work well at high ambient temperature, use much less electrical power and can be installed without external vents. But of course if working off grid without solar or in winter the batteries will be run down as there no gas alternative.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back