Fridge problem (1 Viewer)

Beaky

Free Member
Feb 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria coral
Hi i am new to motorhoming.i have an adria coral. The 3 way fridge works on the electric and gas, but does not appear to work on the battery whilst driving. Any ideas please

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
Most common problem is the 12v element has failed, you need to disconnect and check the resistance with a meter. If that is OK check you are getting 12v to the fridge with the engine running if not its probably the relay that feeds it.
If neither of those it's probably a fault the fridge electronics.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hello and :welcome4:

Can’t answer your question,but LennyHB already has.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Depending on your technical knowledge , mine is low to medium but learning fast 🤔 simple checks

1. Has it ever worked on 12 V, it might simply not be wired in

2. How do you know it isn’t, if just not getting cold quickly you might be over ambitious, it will keep it cold but not really get it cold

3. Does it have a light to confirm 12V operation , is it AES automatic energy selection ?

4. To confirm the relay Lenny mentioned is working, do you have a display of leisure battery voltage , this should be reading over 13V if the alternator is charging it , that would confirm relay is good they are not always easy to find and test

good luck

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I would start by checking the wiring to the fridge, which can be accessed by the fridge external vents, and find out if you are getting 12v whilst engine is running. There will be more than one 12v supply as one is just for the control of the fridge the other/bigger supply is for the element.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Beaky

Free Member
Feb 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria coral
:welco:
Most common problem is the 12v element has failed, you need to disconnect and check the resistance with a meter. If that is OK check you are getting 12v to the fridge with the engine running if not its probably the relay that feeds it.
If neither of those it's probably a fault the fridge electronics.
Thanks for the info. I think its a job for the weekend

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
There could be a fuse under the bonnet. Sometimes this becomes loose. Perhaps someone with the same model could advise.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
As far as I'm aware that when working on 12V it will only maintain the fridge temperature - it wont make the fridge cold.
When we had the new fridge fitted I switched it on for the journey home to make sure it was working ok, it was -12°c in the freezer when we got home 👍

Even the fridge part was cold and the heat transfer paste was dried out (didn't know it at the time) it was November mind 😏

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As far as I'm aware that when working on 12V it will only maintain the fridge temperature - it wont make the fridge cold.
For about the last 15 years most fridges have thermostaicly controlled 12v elements and more powerful than they used to be and will work normally on 12v. They will take longer to get down to temperature on 12v as the 12v element is a bit smaller than the 240v one.

When I have plenty of solar input mine switches to 12v by a signal from my solar regulator.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back