Free Member
May 22, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4th year
We went away to Scotland last week wildcamping and for the first few days the fridge was working fine on gas. Then we moved on and the fridge started to defrost - still on gas. It is an Dometic autoselect fridge/freezer. Can anyone tell me why? Is it because we weren't as level as we should have been, or did we cover the element in the fridge, or is there a switch we switched off by mistake, or is there something loose or is it non of the above? As soon as we got home, we plugged back in to 240v and it is now working fine. Help would be really appreciated before we take it into the dealer for them to sort it out.
::bigsmile:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We went away to Scotland last week wildcamping and for the first few days the fridge was working fine on gas. Then we moved on and the fridge started to defrost - still on gas. It is an Dometic autoselect fridge/freezer. Can anyone tell me why? Is it because we weren't as level as we should have been, or did we cover the element in the fridge, or is there a switch we switched off by mistake, or is there something loose or is it non of the above? As soon as we got home, we plugged back in to 240v and it is now working fine. Help would be really appreciated before we take it into the dealer for them to sort it out.

It is my understanding that the fridge looks for 240v, if there is none it looks for 12v (only availble when engine is running) then goes to gas. If your engine was running it would revert to 12v in the absence of 240v. This is the least efficient and it is possible in warm weather that it would defrost to an extent. Our fridge is the same although a Thetford (same company) and we have noticed this. ::bigsmile: To force it to gas you will have to switch to manual mode.

Last edited:
OP
OP
saxon

saxon

Free Member
May 22, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4th year
Thanks for that but it was on manual gas selection and this is why we cannot understand why it should cut out. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Thanks for that but it was on manual gas selection and this is why we cannot understand why it should cut out. :Smile:

If the fridge worked on 240v that would only confirm the 240v side works

Have you since retured home run it on gas?

Regards

gdf

Free Member
May 14, 2009
Funster No
For what it's worth we had a similar problem with our Thetford auto fridge last weekend.

When left on Auto it worked on engine, then worked on hookup but wouldn't go to gas automatically so had to switch to manual gas.

Switched it off and then back on set on Auto and now seems to work but it is on the list for the dealer to sort later this week.

Dave

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
If you can get to/feel the flue when it's running on gas....is it warm?

May be a flue/burner issue.I have a Dometic fridge freezer and it is the business.

3 way and well worth it.It auto switches to 12v when the engine is running. (I always turn the gas off when mobile)

Hope you get it sorted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
When running on gas it is imperative that the fridge is level,,

Other wise you will end up with a soot ball in the flue/chimney, and in some cases has been known to drop off and fall across the jet thus stopping the gas from getting through.

To work properly the flame must go up through the centre/middle of the flue pipe and not touch the sides,, hence fridge must be dead level. :thumb:

0zzy

Free Member
Feb 8, 2009
sherborne
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
6 months
dont mess about with the fridge. we have a 2008 burstner, had a few problems in spain, rang dometic when we got back to the uk. there engineer rang me and told me their is a upgraded burner they are now fitting.????? so thats wot they did no charge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back