Fridge problem....advice needed. (1 Viewer)

GRUMPY OLD GIT

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 8, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Started in1974 with a converted London ambulance
Fridge will not stay alight on gas.
Electrolux/Dometic RM6401.
Lights fine,nice blue flame but as l release the igniter button it goes out and igniter light clicks/flashes.
Have cleaned the flu and burner and fitted new jet. Been away for 2 weeks and all fine (on ehu). Now this !
Suspect thermocouple.
Any advice welcome
Cheers. Bob.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I would go for the thermocouple first. Make sure it has not come loose at the gas valve end as well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
First check the earth return from the electrodes at the burner. You could do this by using a separate wire from the electrodes to a good earth point.

I had a similar problem and found the support bracket had corroded where it connected to the earth point. In my case it was probably due to the water container from the fridge overflowing causing the corrosion.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Check the connections on the spark generator box I had to rewire ours.
Also check the connections to the gas valve there are 2, one on each end.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Also check the selector switch gas/12v/240v, contacts had broken down on mine (rm6270) and I bypassed the switch to prove my idea
I even bought a new gas valve Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£s but it was not the problem, still got it somewhere i think

OP
OP
GRUMPY OLD GIT

GRUMPY OLD GIT

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 8, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Thank you all for your help.
Tried everything l could on a very wet and windy site down here in Cornwall. Still not working. Have planned a 4 day route back home to Pembrokeshire using ehu stops and will strip out and sort then.

Thanks again Bob.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Another thing to check is the mounting of the ignitor because on ours, the ceramic sleeve came free of the metal bracket it goes through and could turn out of position.

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Yes most likely, from your description and previous maintenance that you have done, it's a dodgy selector switch or temperature switch.
Themocouples rarely fail and if it lights ok and good blue flame then the fault is not with the burner/jet/assembly.
I have the same problem at the moment, gas lights ..lovely flame ok, but will not stay on.
Operating the temp gauge up and down a few times and turning the power selector switch on and off a few times relights the gas.
I would like to bypass the switches to give a electric feed to see which switch is dodgy but I don't understand the fridge electrickery.
At the moment at Lincoln Show, it's a really miserable event weather wise, so I am nipping outside to check the fridge burner is lit and having to relight every 2hrs or so.

OP
OP
GRUMPY OLD GIT

GRUMPY OLD GIT

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 8, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Update on fridge problems.
Fitted a new thermocouple and touch wood seems to be working fine. Bit of a faff moving fridge forward to get to top coupling but done now. Stayed alight 20 odd times when tested.
Now have to put it all back together.
Once again thanks for your help and advice
BobšŸ˜€

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back