Fridge Piezo ingition (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2016
Blackwood Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
N&B Arto
Exp
Since 1986
Our Dometic RM7401 recently renewed burner and igniter pack. Everything working fine but while away the other weekend my husband heard the piezo operating quite a few times during the night. Later I noticed the gas indicator was flickering and the piezo sounding, light came back on all good. Any suggestion of what's happening or do we need to replace the gas control valve. TIA

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
If the gas indicator ( yellow light) is flickering it means the flame has not yet established, hence the ignitor clicking to relight itself.
There are several different ways of the flame being monitored. On our 7401 its a thermocouple in the flame. was it very windy or was the gas pressure low, the fridge burner is fed by quite narrow pipe unlike the central heating or the cooker .
If it continues to happen I should make sure the ignitor is correctly positioned in the burner head or get it checked by whowever fitted it
Mike

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Later I noticed the gas indicator was flickering and the piezo sounding, light came back on all good. Any suggestion of what's happening or do we need to replace the gas control valve. TIA
Another way the flame is monitored, instead of a thermocouple, is a resistive measurement through the gas flame, which is ionised and is quite conductive compared to air. Maybe you can see if the flame is a bit weak, due to the jet being partly blocked etc. If it gradually is getting worse then maybe it needs a good clean and service. Assuming the pressure is OK and the gas is not running out, of course. As it's a new burner maybe the flame detector electrode is badly adjusted. Also it's possible that particles of rust from the inside of the old pipe could have partly blocked the jet again.

Being very pedantic, it will be an electronic spark generator, not a piezo-electric spark. Piezo ignition is the older type where you repeatedly press a button, and get a loud click, and a spark for each click.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I once had a similar experience when the cable to the injector kept shorting out on nearby metal. That was a long time ago and things should have got better now.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
That would be the nylon coated HT wire to the ignitor, its quite a high voltage and will always take the easist path- will make you jump!
Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back