Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Has anyone else had a problem with their fridge freezing items that are in the main shelved area of the fridge?

I have already turned the control knob down slightly, but last week had a frozen cucumber, several frozen/burst tomatoes and three frozen bananas:roflmto::roflmto::Doh:

I don't want to turn the control down any lower because the items on the shelves in the main part of the fridge were barely cold enough, but don't want any more frozen bananas either.

Would be grateful for any advice.

Margaret:Smile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Is it sticking on 12V? 12V is not thermostatically controlled on a lot of fridges so should only be used when driving.

Just a thought?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
If some areas of the fridge are cold enough and others are freezing you possibly have too much stuff in the fridge. For a fridge to work efficiently it needs to have a "thermosyphon" air flow. As the cooling element is mounted at the top in an absorption fridge the top will get coldest (that's why the freezer compartment is at the top as its on the same cooling circuit, not separate). the middle area should be cool but not as cold as the top and the bottom should be cool but not as cool as the middle bit. If you put too much stuff in the fridge the air cannot circulate and you end up with the higher parts overcooling while the lower areas don't cool much at all. You can also end up with some stuff frozen in the fridge area by placing at the rear of the upper shelves, this places it closest to the cooling element so it cools the most.

D.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
If some areas of the fridge are cold enough and others are freezing you possibly have too much stuff in the fridge. For a fridge to work efficiently it needs to have a "thermosyphon" air flow. As the cooling element is mounted at the top in an absorption fridge the top will get coldest (that's why the freezer compartment is at the top as its on the same cooling circuit, not separate). the middle area should be cool but not as cold as the top and the bottom should be cool but not as cool as the middle bit. If you put too much stuff in the fridge the air cannot circulate and you end up with the higher parts overcooling while the lower areas don't cool much at all. You can also end up with some stuff frozen in the fridge area by placing at the rear of the upper shelves, this places it closest to the cooling element so it cools the most.

D.

Very well explained, thank you. Hopefully no more frozen salad for us!

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Our Thetford freezes stuff close to the element if we pack stuff in too tightly!::bigsmile:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Very well explained, thank you. Hopefully no more frozen salad for us!

You're welcome. A similar issue can occur in domestic 230 volt compressor fridges where the cooling element runs down the whole rear wall, placing too much on one shelf can result in the stuff at the back becoming frozen while the stuff in front is barely cool.

D.

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Is it sticking on 12V? 12V is not thermostatically controlled on a lot of fridges so should only be used when driving.

Just a thought?

Hi Grommett, thanks for that, it only seems to get over cold when on EHU

Margaret:Smile:

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

D.

Hi Dave, many thanks for your reply..........I reckon there's been far too much packed into the small fridge. We tend to buy enough food for a few days at a time and end up buying too much:RollEyes:
The cucumber and bananas had been put in the salad box at the bottom and the tomatoes were higher up.
We're changing van next month and have a much bigger fridge and separate freezer in it, so hopefully won't have to pack too much in with that.

Margaret

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Hi Dave, many thanks for your reply..........I reckon there's been far too much packed into the small fridge. We tend to buy enough food for a few days at a time and end up buying too much:RollEyes:
The cucumber and bananas had been put in the salad box at the bottom and the tomatoes were higher up.
We're changing van next month and have a much bigger fridge and separate freezer in it, so hopefully won't have to pack too much in with that.

Margaret

Might not make much difference. We have the big fridge with the separate freezer, both are usually stuffed:Eeek:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Also, isn't the optimum thermostat setting the middle position on the dial? In addition to the excellent description above I'm also wondering if it's set too high.

I bought one of those cheap LCD temperature sensors on a short lead and fitted the display into the front panel of our Dometic unit while hanging the sensor in the middle of the fridge. It helps us keep things just right.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have a Thetford fridge which froze everything including my beer.... on speaking to Thetford it turned out to be a faulty thermistor (not thermostat).

This is a small device on two wires clipped to the alloy fins at the top inside the fridge and is easily replaceable in a few seconds.

Brian

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I thought bananas went black if you kept them in the fridge ?

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I thought bananas went black if you kept them in

I never put bananas in the fridge normally, but in the Peak District last week it got so hot in the van and I stuck them in the fridge out of the way whilst travelling. There was so much in the fridge that I forgot about them and they were slightly frozen before I remembered about them the following morning:Sad:

Frozen cucumber is not ideal either:Doh:

Margaret

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We have a Thetford fridge which froze everything including my beer.... on speaking to Thetford it turned out to be a faulty thermistor (not thermostat).

This is a small device on two wires clipped to the alloy fins at the top inside the fridge and is easily replaceable in a few seconds.

Brian

I suggested to Bill that it was all his beers that were upsetting the temperature of the fridge:RollEyes: He likes to stick a couple of cans inside the freezer compartment for a "quick chill", especailly in this heat:ROFLMAO:
Just had a look inside ours and can't see anything on the fins.

Margaret

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I suggested to Bill that it was all his beers that were upsetting the temperature of the fridge:RollEyes: He likes to stick a couple of cans inside the freezer compartment for a "quick chill", especailly in this heat:ROFLMAO:
Just had a look inside ours and can't see anything on the fins.

Margaret
This is what the thermistor looks like in our Thetford N175 fridge....

http://www.picresize.com/popup.html?images/rsz_thermistor.jpg

Tell Bill to put a stick in his beer cans for great beer lollipops :winky:

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
This is what the thermistor looks like in our Thetford N175 fridge....

http://www.picresize.com/popup.html?images/rsz_thermistor.jpg

Tell Bill to put a stick in his beer cans for great beer lollipops :winky:

I wasn't able to view the image, but have just checked the fridge and there are only 8 small screws holding the metal fin part to the back of the fridge. However, ours is a Dometic, so probably different to the Thetford.
As Dave said earlier, we've had too much food crammed into it:RollEyes:

Thanks for your help:thumb:
Margaret::bigsmile:

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
My mum wraps her nanas is newspaper and keeps them in the fridge, apparently they don't go black. I've never tried it, bananas are the devils food!! Yuk.

Oh no, I love bananas!! I eat so many I've got really long arms now, comes in handy when trying to reach items on the top shelf.........(of the supermarket that is):roflmto:

Margaret

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Remember your tongue can stick to a frozen lolly :Blush:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
You could hit someone with it, or you could really cool a Pimms with it (might look a bit odd stirring pimms with a frozen cucumber though) or.....................open to suggestions, how "hot" are you feeling?:winky:

D.

I really cannot think of anything else, you will have to enlighten us?::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back