Personize

Free Member
May 5, 2014
Northants
Funster No
MH
Ducato Hymer
Exp
Hi Newbie here. Purchased our 1st Motorhome last year, 1992 Ducato Hymer Camp. We have only used it for 1 trip so far! 1st time out we had to turn home after the exhaust fell off! That’s now fixed & MOT’d just need a few small problems ironing out. We cannot totally understand the electrics but I’ll leave that for another day.
I have just spent 3 weeks removing the old Electrolux fridge, not easy at all, hidden screws & sealer. I had to resort to breaking it up from the inside to remove!!! A replacement Electrolux RM5380 is going to cost £600 + fitting. The question is, do we go ahead & replace the fridge or buy a combicool fridge box . These are 3 way but need sitting outside when using gas. Then we could use the space to fit a oven & hob. Seems this idea is more to our liking but not sure how easy this will be. Your thoughts please.

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
We don't have an oven and don't miss it at all.
Definitely get a fridge, after all you can eat cold ready cooked pies but drink warm beer, never.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Fridge! an oven can't keep your food from going off. And why this thing for an Oven? over where to hang your gear? If you go overseas why take the bloody Brit sunday roast with you?
A two burner hob is all you need, through experiment you can cook far better, tastier meals on a hob than a bloody oven, my advice? ditch the oven, save the fridge, don't be a luddite, what was good for granny is ok with me? Branch out!

Upvote 0

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Fridge every time,, and a Remoska when on site on ehu or inverter no need for an oven and you cannot leave anything outside on French aire's really,,,, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I'm a fridge in preference and Cadac man for external cooking. We have a hob and an oven and use both. The oven only in bad weather or at home at Xmas to supplement the ovens in the house for when the hoards arrive!

Cadac's are South African external gas powered grills with assorted attachments for cooking different foods in different ways.

I run mine on a Camping Gaz 907 cylinder. I just exchanged an empty for a full one and had a shock to have to pay £29.99p!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thanks for all your comments. You've all got me thinking now! I think 12months away without a cooker would be a problem. An oven would only fit in the space left by the fridge. The solution seems to be move the fridge location. Maybe in the Wardrobe?

Get your self a small electric oven for when your on EHU. If you look at s/h motorhomes you will find that most have ovens that are unused. Ours makes an extra cuboard. BUSBY;)

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Oven or fridge.... no contest... fridge wins every time.

Keeps all your perishables cool and gets the Beer and Wine as well as milk, juices, soft drinks etc cold.

I don't know what arrangements you have in your van for cooking at the moment.
Our van has a gas oven which is very rarely used, and a 3 ring gas hob.

I have also fitted a compact 650W microwave in one of the overhead lockers and we have
a slim electric twin ring hotplate which we also use when on EHU.
The microwave cost £35 and the Hotplate £22, both brand new.

As for the fridge in the wardrobe, bad idea imho. More vents, more piping, more wiring = many more holes being drilled.
Without trying to sound rude, it will make the van look as though "Rodger the Bodger" was the last owner.

Upvote 0

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Fridge and Remoska . We have had a Remoska for many years and I have only started to use it now in the house because of the hot weather not wanting to use the oven . I am a born again Remoska user ....it is great . You need to be hooked up though or have a generator to use it. We also have a Cadac Carrychef which is useful but a bit of a headache to clean .

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Fridge everytime. We use a Remosca for most of our cooking.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Fridge. Got an oven as we'll but would sacrifice that for a fridge any day.

Hymie

Upvote 0

captain

Free Member
Apr 1, 2014
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
Hymer S700
Exp
since 2005
Fridge must! re oven we take a £29.99 aldi oven when we go for our working hols in France 2mths or more
but we also have a slow cooker, It's nice to have a jacket spud or some fish done in the oven when you've been on a building site all day!

Cap't

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back