north east lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
3 years
Hi.

Would anyone please help answer a question regarding leaving you fridge on

when you are travelling on ferries for more than 10 hours.

I know this sounds a bit silly but are you alllowed to keep in on and if so would it have to be off your leisure battery.

Thankyou.

Sue.

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
You will flatten your leisure battery over that length of time. Some people would leave it quietly running on gas but your not supposed to for safety reasons. Best thing to do probably is not to take anything away with you in the fridge. Once you get to your destination then find a cheap supermarket and stock up with fresh and frozen. The only time when this could be a no no as far as cost is concerned is if you were travelling to somewhere like Norway where everything is very expensive. will be interesting to see other peoples replies. If your travelling say from the UK to northern spain by ferry then it may prove cheaper to stock up with foods when you get there.

OP
OP
trackerman

trackerman

Free Member
Feb 28, 2008
north east lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
3 years
You will flatten your leisure battery over that length of time. Some people would leave it quietly running on gas but your not supposed to for safety reasons. Best thing to do probably is not to take anything away with you in the fridge. Once you get to your destination then find a cheap supermarket and stock up with fresh and frozen. The only time when this could be a no no as far as cost is concerned is if you were travelling to somewhere like Norway where everything is very expensive. will be interesting to see other peoples replies. If your travelling say from the UK to northern spain by ferry then it may prove cheaper to stock up with foods when you get there.

Thankyou for your reply Tony, we are travelling on North Sea Ferries from Hull to Zebrugge as we are travelling to Switzerland

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Trackerman

Safety regulations will not permit you to run your fridge on gas whilst on the ferry.
Our fridge only works on 12 volt when the engine is running so that is not an option for us, perhaps your vans electrics are different to ours, but I think you will soon flatten your battery. A tip passed on to us was to put some frozen food into the fridge just as you are leaving home. It will gradually thaw out but may keep the fridge cool for the duration of the crossing. An alternative is to freeze some water in a plastic bottle and use it as a giant freezer pack.

geofliz

Free Member
Feb 3, 2008
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
L P Coachbuilt
Exp
3 years. 29 as a tugger
Yes like Brisey says it is against regulations to run the gas when on the ferry. We have even seen the ferry operators walk along and feel the gas vents from fridges when on board. As far as the food inside we always take frozen food and have never had a problem with thawing even when we were stuck in the channel in a storm for eleven hours on a trip from Calais to Dover. The Dover port authorities shut the port down because it was too dangerous to try and dock so us and another seven or eight ferries bobbed about waiting till the weather eased. We had a frozen Rabbit and other food in the fridge and when we eventually docked we checked the fridge and all was still frozen. So I do not think you need worry too much. Have a good trip

Geoff.

geofliz

Free Member
Feb 3, 2008
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
L P Coachbuilt
Exp
3 years. 29 as a tugger
Thats true Camperian but if you are only looking to have food to start you off when you get there in other words till you can shop then frozen food leaving England should be o.k when you arrive. The one thing you should check on is that it does not start to freeze if when you dock if you are going to drive for several hours. In other words remove the food from the freezer compartment to the fridge. At the end of the day you have to decide what to do about food depending on the trip in question. But no way would I try to leave a fridge running on gas on a ferry.

Geoff.

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
Leaving your fridge on, on gas, is illegal and a taboo. I always travell without freezing anything, i.e. an empty fridge outside of milk. I buy everything I need from across the water, it's cheaper than Britain. All the tips given by folks on this point makes sense, one way or the other. Have a safe journey and have fun.

NEV3

Free Member
Feb 11, 2008
North East Wales
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 1996
Yes they are correct. Prohibited because it is not safe. All those vehicles parked in close proximity to each other and naked flames from a gas tank (fridge) plus thousands of gallons of petrol/diesel. I would also recommend that you turn off your gas tanks when driving. Regulators are designed to run off LPG vapour, yet when under pressure the gas is liquified and splashes around in the tank as you drive. Should the liquid LPG get into your regulator it could well cause a flareup at the outlet that is lit,ie fridge. The outcome doesn't bear thinking about. It's for this reason that LPG powered vehicles are not permitted on the Channel Tunnel.
I may sound as though I'm preaching a load of doom and gloom, but just imagine the consequences!!!!!

Nev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
All the above.

If for any reason you do need to have some stuff kept cool in the fridge or the freezer a few of the smaller (frozen) freezer packs distributed around the inside will keep it cool for the duration of most but the longest of crossings.

Certainly DON'T run the fridge while you're on the ferry.. In fact your gas supply should be isolated at the tank / cylinder before you go aboard.

Enjoy Switzerland. The scenery is to die for. :thumb::thumb:::bigsmile:

John

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
while driving to spain we placed 4 blue icepacks in the fridge and 2 in a 12v cooler box for drinks en-route. they all stayed frozen for many hours even in the fridge when the relay (engine running) failed and it got no power for around 7 hours, so you should have no problem on a 12hr crossing.

john.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back