LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
This is a Thetford N175 3way fridge which will not cool, or keep cool, on mains electric .... ...there are no "faults" showing.

The mains element (professionally renewed last week) is heating up and the blue light is on steady but lpg everything works normally:Doh:

I have tried starting the fridge on gas until cold and then switched to mains but it just warms up ....

Any suggestions as to the probable cause please.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
This is a Thetford N175 3way fridge which will not cool, or keep cool, on mains electric .... ...there are no "faults" showing.

The mains element (professionally renewed last week) is heating up and the blue light is on steady but lpg everything works normally:Doh:

I have tried starting the fridge on gas until cold and then switched to mains but it just warms up ....

Any suggestions as to the probable cause please.

Has the fridge worked ok on mains since the element was professionally renewed? Or is this the first time you've used it since?

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Has the fridge worked ok on mains since the element was professionally renewed? Or is this the first time you've used it since?
Hi Maz, no it hasn't worked since but I was told by Thetford that the problem was due to the "exceedingly high ambient temperatures". The guy that fitted the new element (recommended by Thetford) has been back and cant find a problem! .... he is now coming back again on Sunday, but as we were due to be heading off at the weekend was hoping someone on here may have a solution.
Brian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Maz, no it hasn't worked since but I was told by Thetford that the problem was due to the "exceedingly high ambient temperatures". The guy that fitted the new element (recommended by Thetford) has been back and cant find a problem! .... he is now coming back again on Sunday, but as we were due to be heading off at the weekend was hoping someone on here may have a solution.
Brian

Ah ok, I was going to suggest that if it hadn't worked since the element was fitted then take it straight back to the fitter. But that's happening anyway. Fingers crossed he finds the problem this time. :Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
have you checked the mains thermostat ?

if the new element is getting hot then it is working, but may be set too low and not able to maintain a cold temperature.
the installer may have turned it down to check the new elements operation.

mains and gas thermostats should be independent of each other.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Power card.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
have you checked the mains thermostat ?

if the new element is getting hot then it is working, but may be set too low and not able to maintain a cold temperature.
the installer may have turned it down to check the new elements operation.

mains and gas thermostats should be independent of each other.
Hi John, I understand that there is only one thermostat in this fridge and that covers both gas and mains electric.

The mains element is certainly working but I reckon the guy has not got it fully home into its housing ... I can't think of anything else so looks like the fridge has to come out again to check it.:Doh:

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
does your model have the fault code option in the LCD panel ?

if so are any codes shown ?

It has the fault code option but no codes showing.

I know that the heater element sits in a tubular housing and the only thing that comes to mind is that the engineer has not pushed it fully in (in the nicest possible sense of the meaning:winky:).

The next job therefore is to remove the fridge again so I can check this out.:cry:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
A bit basic, but worth a try....
My fridge on hook up still needs the 12v system live in order to work.
No specific fridge switch, just the 12v switched on at the control panel.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
A bit basic, but worth a try....
My fridge on hook up still needs the 12v system live in order to work.
No specific fridge switch, just the 12v switched on at the control panel.

Mine is the same and 12v is working so kinda rules that out but thanks.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
another thing to try if yours has one is the little temperature sensor that is clipped to the heat exchanger vains inside the fridge, normally attached to the third or fourth vain in from the right, looks like a little square grey block, it simply unplugs. this detects the temperature on the vanes to prevent ice build up and in normal operation sets the fridge into auto defrost mode until the ice has thawed, if this is not working correctly obviously the fridge won't cool down. had to change the one on my old fridge the N180 about 5 times.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
no code certainly points to it working correctly as far as its primary purpose is concerned, but as you say it may not be in the correct position.

The only other thing that that has occurred to me is that the guy fitting the element leaned the fridge over to about 30deg from vertical while working on it .... do you think that could that have caused a problem?

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
another thing to try if yours has one is the little temperature sensor that is clipped to the heat exchanger vains inside the fridge, normally attached to the third or fourth vain in from the right, looks like a little square grey block, it simply unplugs. this detects the temperature on the vanes to prevent ice build up and in normal operation sets the fridge into auto defrost mode until the ice has thawed, if this is not working correctly obviously the fridge won't cool down. had to change the one on my old fridge the N180 about 5 times.

That would be the thermistor, I don't think that is the problem this time as it is working on gas.

In fact the thermistor has failed previously and then the fridge just froze everything including my beers but as you say was very simple to replace.

Thanks for your input.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The only other thing that that has occurred to me is that the guy fitting the element leaned the fridge over to about 30deg from vertical while working on it .... do you think that could that have caused a problem?

very doubtful.
it would prevent it working WHILE he was working on it but once upright it would work OK.

malheg

Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
Fridge problem

We had a problem with our fridge not working on our drive before a trip, but OK on gas.
Returned to dealer who checked out and said all working. As a aside said are you parked on a slope. Reply yes, man said that is the problem.
Now park van level and all working OK.

Malc

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We had a problem with our fridge not working on our drive before a trip, but OK on gas.
Returned to dealer who checked out and said all working. As a aside said are you parked on a slope. Reply yes, man said that is the problem.
Now park van level and all working OK.

Malc

Thanks for that but the m/h is parked on dead level and has always worket there in the past. brian

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
are you certain he fitted the correct size element and it is located correctly. they come in various sizes and wattage for differing models now unlike the early ones.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
are you certain he fitted the correct size element and it is located correctly. they come in various sizes and wattage for differing models now unlike the early ones.

Yep, he has been back and lo & behold he had fitted the wrong element ..... apparently it was supplied sealed in a bag with the correct part number:Doh:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back