Rooky Vanner
Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989
Yes been reading posts which is what I should have done in the first place( but no one ever does) it seams it is van battery in ours. Seems daft really on no hook up sites where we spend most of our time, to use gas when sun is shining and we have 100w solar panel?
Needs research I think but thanks for confirming my suspicions...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Go easy with it's use because the fridge will flatten the vehicle battery really quickly resulting in the vehicle engine not starting :eek:

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
When on 12 volts my fridge only runs when the engine is running - it is designed that way.

Dave

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
When you say "on battery", do you mean when you have selected "12 volts" as the supply ? If this is the case, then the fridge is technically running off the alternator while the engine is running, switch off the engine and the fridge will stop working. Most vans have absorption type fridges which would soon flatten your battery if it was left to run on a battery alone, although some on here with plenty of solar and leisure battery capacity can adapt their system to use any "excess" solar power they are generating to supply their fridge.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Yes been reading posts which is what I should have done in the first place( but no one ever does) it seams it is van battery in ours. Seems daft really on no hook up sites where we spend most of our time, to use gas when sun is shining and we have 100w solar panel?
Needs research I think but thanks for confirming my suspicions...
The fridge uses 100W. Your panel might turn out its 100W if tilted and turned continuously to face the sun in a cloudless sky. Given that none of those conditions will ever be met your leisure battery will be fully discharged within hours. There's a very good reason why the fridge is set-up to operate on 12v only when the engine is running.

OP
OP
Rooky Vanner
Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989
Hmm.. It seemed like a good idea at the time but as you can tell I am no electrician, I am a gardener so each to his own. If you ever have trouble with your wallflowers I'm yer man.
Thanks to all who contributed.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi your fridge should/probably is wired to the LB not vehicle battery - the van will have a relay that turns on when engine is running supplying 12v to the fridge and usually L Battery both supplied via the engine/alternator When the engine is turned off the 12v is also turned off via the relay so your fridge should not be working on 12v without the engine running-
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back