fridge is it just Spanish heat (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
OK the fridge is acting up it's old
it seem's to work ok on EHU but is struggling on gas
it gets cold in the ice box but not frozen the flame looks ok to me i cant work it out
bill

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
How hot is it down there Bill? Dont forget your Fridge was designed for Scottish use, not the high temperatures found in Spain :D
Most fridges would struggle at temps over 30 degrees, thats why people fit fans to draw air both in the outer vents ,and sometimes inside the fridge itself to help circulate the air over the cooling fins.
Seriously though, have you tried cleaning out the chimney vent they get clogged up with soot, and checking the gas jet is clear of crap.
Tam had similar problems running on gas in Spain, then he was shown by a funster how to clean out the chimney and burner assembly, he had ice cubes again having done that(y)

Happy travels mate.
Les

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
How hot is it down there Bill? Dont forget your Fridge was designed for Scottish use, not the high temperatures found in Spain :D
Most fridges would struggle at temps over 30 degrees, thats why people fit fans to draw air both in the outer vents ,and sometimes inside the fridge itself to help circulate the air over the cooling fins.
Seriously though, have you tried cleaning out the chimney vent they get clogged up with soot, and checking the gas jet is clear of crap.
Tam had similar problems running on gas in Spain, then he was shown by a funster how to clean out the chimney and burner assembly, he had ice cubes again having done that(y)

Happy travels mate.
Les
i had the fridge out yesterday and serviced it but it just get cold but not freezing will se how it is in the morning it was 37 today hot even for me
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
would suggest trying to get a fan to blow air through the bottom vent, made a hell of a difference to mine went from 10 degrees down to 3 (have a digital read out on mine)

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
A simple fix; if you can, get a block of ice from the supermarket and put it in the fridge, it will help lower the fridge temp (a bag of ice cubes will also help but not last as long). Make sure you put it in a bin bag or similar as the ice bags often have holes in them.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Try the fans Billy, I've got 2 strapped to the top vent and my old fridge works great on gas, even in extreme temps.

There was a thread recently about the cooling fins, the paste that conducts the cold from the plate to the fins dries out making cold transfer to the fins less effective, apparently taking the fins off, cleaning both sides and using new transfer paste for computer heat sinks has made a big difference for some.

Should be available cheaply from computer shops, if you're still there I'm sure there's one in town.

Good luck,

Vic

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Aye Aye Bill
I have 3 X 5" pc case fans extracting heat from the top fridge vent.
Controlled by one of these

At the moment temp ....
IMG_20190814_083511~2.jpg

Inside if fridge varies between 3°C & 7°C in the Spanish heat so far on this trip when static.
Down to 1°C when mobile
Freezer working fine .
And ? ice cold
Replaced the burner unit last year ,with similar problems as yours Wildbill
Gas set just under 4
EHU set at 5 .
Hope you get it sorted

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Try the fans Billy, I've got 2 strapped to the top vent and my old fridge works great on gas, even in extreme temps.

There was a thread recently about the cooling fins, the paste that conducts the cold from the plate to the fins dries out making cold transfer to the fins less effective, apparently taking the fins off, cleaning both sides and using new transfer paste for computer heat sinks has made a big difference for some.

Should be available cheaply from computer shops, if you're still there I'm sure there's one in town.

Good luck,

Vic
were going to that site today we spent two days at a site that is 5 emuse a night +2.50 EHU
got sum stuff to fix it i have x 2 puter fans in my tool box i will fit them when i get their on a thermal switch with a manual on of swich as well
bill

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
TinaL "Fridge was designed for Scottish use, not the high temperatures found in Spain :D "

Isnt that known as an oven ? :)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If the jet and flue are clean it should work on gas just fine at that temperature. Add some fans fitted correctly in the top vent and it will work more efficiently.
We had 2 separate weeks away at 34deg and the fridge and freezer were running correctly.
I clean the jet on ours at least once every 2 years.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
When you are parked up take the outer vents off, that will improve the air circulation at the back of the fridge and best to park with the fridge side in the shade if possible.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Dometic fridges are designed to work at 20° below ambient.
Fridge fans are the answer, either in a kit form or make your own.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i just cable tied mine onto the fridge vent and used a wago connector in the wire to the fridge i just connected or disconnect the fan when i need it i did this temporarily 2 years ago

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back