Oct 31, 2016
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
ci mizar gtl living
Exp
1 year
Hi everyone- just joined the site!
Have a 2006 CI Mizar GTL and last Thursday smelt bad egg smell while driving. The fridge packed in when run on 230 setting but works on gas. Its a Dometic model rm7655l. Rang a few people they said you cannot repair it and a new one fitted will cost £1900. Does this sound right?
Many thanks and any advice will be greatly received.
Lins

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
bad egg smell is sulphur dioxide and is generally a sign you are cooking a leisure battery. fridge gas smells like amonia and nothing like eggs. what you will probably find is the leisure battery is dead and not supplying the fridge control circuit

OP
OP
L

lins mclean

Free Member
Oct 31, 2016
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
ci mizar gtl living
Exp
1 year
Thanks guys for the quick response- so if it works on gas and not on the 12v and 230 setting its probably battery or the board- How do I check this or simply send it to a local caravan repair centre?

OP
OP
L

lins mclean

Free Member
Oct 31, 2016
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
ci mizar gtl living
Exp
1 year
Come to think of it we smelt the egg smell in the cab while driving the battery is under my seat. However when we transferred to mains it still did not work so it could be the board. Am guessing that if it works on gas then the fridge is ok?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if it works on gas, its not the fridge gassing. be VERY careful when checking the battery as it will also be producing hydrogen, which is very explosive. first test is to feel if the battery is warm, then measure the voltage across the terminals at least an hour after the engine was last run or the battery charger when plugged into the ehu. leave the cab door open a while too to vent the gasses

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I agree with others, That sounds like battery has gone.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Get your 12Volt system sorted, You may find all will work again?. The control boards are often very Voltage intolerant, and the frig will shut down if the control voltage is Low. (or over high).

FYI:- http://www.dometic.com/International/Download/Manuals/

Pete

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If you DO need a new fridge, it might be worth asking @DavidG58 as I seem to recall his fridge went once .. he may be able to advise the cheapest place to go to .. hopefully. Save you having to spend hours chasing through the internet.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Where abouts roughly East Yorkshire are you? I'm in Cottingham so if you're not too far away you could bring it round and I could vae a shuftie for you to see if it's anything that could be easily sorted, also there's a good workshop called FM Caravans in Hull who I can highly recommend. Definitely shoulds like your leisure battery is stuffed though!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back