Fridge help (not level operation) (1 Viewer)

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I am parked somewhere where I just cant level up and here for few days, they can run an electric lead to me.

Does electric operation do as much damage as LPG when not level?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'd be more concerned about rolling out of bed !!!! :roflmto:

could be wrong but I thought it was to do with the gas burner tube not being vertical and getting too hot on one side.

sabconsulting

Free Member
Jan 22, 2011
High Wycombe
Funster No
MH
Demountable truck camper
Exp
Since 2010
I assume from the question you have an absorption fridge.

12v / 240v / gas just provides the heat source that drives the process, that part of it doesn't care too much about being out of level. The problem is that the fridge needs to be level so that the cleverly designed and angled pipework containing the refridgerant works correctly. Running out of level can cause problems and I know of people who have had to 'burp' their fridge to correct it by removing it and turning it upside down for a number of hours.

Having said that, the fridge is more likely to be sensitive to your forward / aft level than your side-to-side level as the pipework tends to run across the back of the fridge, therefore fore-aft in your vehicle. So you could try parking so the vehicle is flat front to back.

My absorption fridge gave up the ghost this time last year, so I now have a 12/240v compressor fridge designed for use in yachts that can work at up to 30 degrees, so I will probably chicken out well before the fridge does.

Steve.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Agree with Steve. makes no difference whether on LPG, mains or 12v ..

the liquid refrigerant depends on gravity to return to the heater, so if it's badly out of level the liquid will stop returning to the heater.. and stop working.. it can also damage it permanently if left running like this.. ..
as said, fore and aft is the most critical .. Electrolux say up to +/- 6 deg will be ok..

as a guide, at that level it would be uncomfortable to live in the van..

so, if you think it is less than 6deg try it and if it cools as normal I wouldn't be too concerned but keep an eye on it.. if it's stops working switch off ..

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
same here John

Same here John.. try and get the front or rear up or down to level the fridge so that it can flow..

Bob

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've found that if its so unlevel that the fridge has problems, then its difficult to live with, things sliding off the table, inability to sleep etc.

If you're OK with a slight slope then the fridge probably will be too.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
in fact we level up using the fridge door

We level up our RV with the fridge door and the bathroom door (across the back of the RV in the middle).. if the fridge door stays in the middle I know we are level front to back and if the toilet door stays open and in the middle of it's swing, then it is level side to side.... when I drive up up the ramps I can normally feel it is level within an inch front to back.

Bob

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Older fridges are more sensitive to being off level that more modern fridges.
Over a period of time the refrigerants separate when off level eventually the fridge will stop working altogether. Whatever heat is applied to the refrigerant,whether gas or electric it will slowly damage a fridge if off level. The only reason that 12 volt whilst on the move doesn't harm the refrigerants is that you are moving from one plane to another ie, up hill and down dale. Have tried taking several fridges out and tipping them on there sides and upside down, but its only a short fix,sooner rather than later they give up altogether. John your fridge is designed to run at 50 millibar as its a German import. Your regulator is 27 millibar. This will not help matters.

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I can't level up where I am.............having a blowing exhaust fixed..

I will switch it on and off.........

All I can do............

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back