May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Advice please
AutoTrail Delaware, Fridge & Frezer not keeping cold, at the moment on EHU, indication light -blue.
Not sure if it due to hot weather reaching today about 31-32c, most of the day was driving.
Any idea what to check or do?

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I f it is a thetford I had a similar problem, the door was obstructed at the bottom as it had dropped.
I removed the lock clip at the bottom and now give it a "lift" from the bottom. Longer term solution fit spacers in the hinges to lift it. Worth a try.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It might just be the highish ambient temperature. I guess you don't have a thermometer to check what the actual temperatures are in there?

I suggest see what it is like tomorrow morning. If the ice is still frozen then it is working. Make sure it isn't too full though. There are numerous threads on here about this issue. Worth searching for some light reading. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Just had a problem with our fridge (Dometic in an Autotrail Comanche) and had the same symptoms as you.
Does it work on gas and 12 volt ?
Ours did.
It was the 230v fridge heater element.
Didn't show up as a fault and the blue light stayed on.
Left it on ehu for two days and the fault code finally showed up on the fridge.

Had it repaired under warranty at Teesside Caravans who did the job in about an hour.

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thank you.
The fridge is Dometic.
I turn it on Gas only now and will see if it get colder. At the moment outside team about 26-27c, in the MH 30c. The fridge thermometer showing 7-10 (hot). The freezer les then -15 (hot).

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Good idea but freezer defrosting.
Hope it will cool again now that I turn it on gas, will wait till the morning to find out.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have found that if we turn our fridge to the highest / ?lowest? setting ie as cold as it can go, it doesn't cope as well as about half way

might be worth a go (y)

we also have a Dometic, so useless in so many ways :(

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Just a thought but a caravan I once owned had a habitation door that swung back over the fridge vents and the fridge warmed up. Once the door was closed the fridge worked fine.

Reactions: DBK

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
You say that most of your day was driving, therefore the fridge will only have been on 12v. This setting is really only keeping things cold, with the outside temperature so high it will struggle to cool anything down e.g. when you open the door to get a nice cold drink all the cold escapes and it has to start again.

Hopefully now on mains or gas, it should work okay but I'll add my agreement to making sure the vents are clear.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
It's pretty hot where we are in Croatia

The gauge on the right shows 30deg under the shade of our awning - and two fans running

image.jpeg

The gauge on the left shows the internal fridge temp - which is 20 degrees lower even at this high external temperature.

The fridges internal fan is also running, keeping the whole fridge at an even temperature

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I have a delaware and my experience is that on EHU or 12v the fridge does not get very cold, ours only seems to be good on Gas. no faults i just think this is the way they are. It is still cold on EHU and 12v but it works a lot better on Gas so much so that i normally only have it on 3 on Gas as opposed to as high as it will go on EHU or 12v.

it sounds as though yours is working but fighting with the outside heat.

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Vents are clear, even took (this afternoon) the top vent (now can see the radiator?? Of the back of the Fridge - advice of the guy did my habitation service) will have to wait to the morning and see what will be the Temp in the Fridge and in the Freezer.

Robert, where are this gauges located and where is the Fridge fan please?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Vents are clear, even took (this afternoon) the top vent (now can see the radiator?? Of the back of the Fridge - advice of the guy did my habitation service) will have to wait to the morning and see what will be the Temp in the Fridge and in the Freezer.

Robert, where are this gauges located and where is the Fridge fan please?

The two guages are located in my toilet cassette locker
The one which controlls the external fans has its sensor by the bottom vent. The two fans are behind the top vent - the direction of the air flow is outward.

The internal fridge fan sensor is by the light at the front - the fan is at the top of the fridge
I made a posting about it here
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/fridge-internal-fan.134648/

The external fans are set to come on at 25 deg

The internal fan is set at 7 deg

Hope this helps

OP
OP
Dogsense
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thank you Robert. Very impressive job.
Can I come to you to do mine for a payment lol.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back