LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
hi any ideas wtas the problrm my frisge freezer works great on mains and when im travelling but it wont work on leisure battery and the battery is fully charged any ideas please
also left it on auto and it still wont work with the gas on ???

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
It will not work on 12volt unless the engine is running is that what you mean as that is correct and just to keep things cool

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Caravan fridge/freezers will only work on 12v if the engine is running. This is operated via a relay and although if you wanted to you could do a rewire job it would be a bad idea as the fridge will draw around 15amps continously from your battery. In addition there is no thermostat on the 12v element as it is only designed to be used when you are moving. When stationary it will work on mains if you have hookup, otherwise on gas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as John said, it will only work on 12v with the engine running and will only maintain the pre-cooled temperature...not powerful enough to cool it down.

on auto it will select the appropriate source in this order.

230v
gas
12v (engine running)

So....

if on hookup it will use 230v mains....by default.

if no hookup it will use gas.

if no gas it wont work until the engine is started.

if you want to override this you need to manually select the power source.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have had quite a lot of vans in my time and on most I have found the fridge actually gets colder faster when driving (running on 12v) than on gas or mains when stationary. I suspect this is due to a certain amount of forced ventilation due to wind rushing around the vehicle.

I have a little thermostatically operated fan in my top vent and have been maintaining temperatures of -16C in my freezer with outside temp in low 30sC which is pretty good for an absorbtion fridge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
ok thx all i have now found out on auto it wont do gas if no hhok up and no engine on but if i manually change to gas then turn off the fridge freezer once i turn on again it is ok on gas i think it has a mind of its own lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
If it's an AES fridge it will not automatically switch to gas until the engine has been switched off for at least 15 minutes and sometimes longer.

This is so the gas cannot ignite when you stop at a filling station to refuel.

Pete:Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back