Fridge fans, outside air temperature an observation. (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Currently wilding in D&G being winter as per Dometic recommendations (below 10 deg C) I had fitted the fridge vent lower cover (fans fitted to upper cover so left in place) This last two days with an outside
9E507FE4-C28F-4AC0-B15B-D8EA623CE8E3.jpeg
C6D19FA3-9474-415B-BDCB-C4EDC533269B.jpeg
air temperature of 7-9 deg C my thermostatically controlled fans have been cutting in at 37 deg C. Even last night at 10pm they kicked in, so this morning I removed the winter and fitted the summer vent temperature has now lowered in low to mid twenties. That side of the van is not in full sun in fact there’s hardly been any, high winds and showers being the norm it just shows how the heat builds in the space behind the fridge lowering efficiency and begs the question at what temperatures do these vent covers need fitting?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We discovered the same problem/effect over xmas & new year, our fridge would not maintain a steady 4/5 degree C even though the outside temp never rose above 8 degree C, the fridge on gas/electric struggled to keep below 10 degree C, so we had to chuck a load of fresh food.
Why? because we had the external fridge vents on top & bottom:doh:We will not be fitting even the bottom one again while using the van, only when its stored up to keep water out when washing it, or heavy scrawly rain as we have had this year.
Lesson learned.
LES

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back