Fridge fans for hot weather - how hot and what thermostat to use? (3 Viewers)

funman

Free Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset
Funster No
MH
la Strada Hi Top
Exp
Since 1972
My 3-way fridge didn't work very well in 30 degree outdoor temps in Greece a few weeks ago (oh God, why did I come home?) so I installed some computer fans behind the upper vent. What I want to know is:
  1. What temperature range is the area over the cooling fins supposed to be? It doesn't say in the handbook.
  2. What sort of thermostat should I get, so I don't have to switch the fans on and off like a human thermostat. Thing is, it wouldn't be a normal thermostat because it wants to go on when it's hot and off when it's cold, unlike most thermostats like you might use on a tropical fi which would go off when it's hot and on when it's cold.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Temperature to set fan control to varies on the installation, I try to set mine so the fans come on above 25° ambient which in my set up the controller is set to 32°.

This is my install.

Also fitted an internal fan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We fitted the CBE one which I bought with the fans and the control. You can get the control separately but I don’t think it comes with the wiring and the sensor.
I have posted a link here as it has a useful PDF on the page for fitting instructions.

Jul 1, 2016
shropshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since 1969
When I fitted my fans about 7 or 8 years ago I decided to use an illuminated switch. However there was lots of detail on MHF about fitting thermostats which are effective.

OP
OP
funman

funman

Free Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset
Funster No
MH
la Strada Hi Top
Exp
Since 1972
I used one of these, set the temperature to 40c.
Does this gadget remember what temperature it was set to if you turn the power off? I would wire it so it was inside the back of the fridge area, so I don't want to dismantle the van whenever I want to use the fan. Currently I have a simple on-off switch inside the van for the fans.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I use a programmable thermostat from ebay, quite cheap and it does remember the settings when power is disconnected. It controls two 5" computer fans in the top vent on at 32C off at 28C. Works for me. I also have a manual switch in case its a very hot night, they are not silent.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Does this gadget remember what temperature it was set to if you turn the power off? I would wire it so it was inside the back of the fridge area, so I don't want to dismantle the van whenever I want to use the fan. Currently I have a simple on-off switch inside the van for the fans.
Yes, once set it stays set..

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
We fitted the CBE one which I bought with the fans and the control. You can get the control separately but I don’t think it comes with the wiring and the sensor.
I have posted a link here as it has a useful PDF on the page for fitting instructions.

I installed the CBE setup bought from Otoparts in the Nederlands back in September, after a sizzling Spring/Summer trip to Greece and Italy. Eurofizz lager REALLY needs a good chill!
Easy install in the top fridge vent (thanks Lenny HB ). Was VERY surprised at how quickly the fan was triggered on auto. The unit range is 25C to 35C The lower temp was almost constant even in Autumn Switzerland and Austria and the higher easily reached. Not a bad thing and beer is decently cold, even in a fairly overloaded fridge. Having the adjacent oven on seems to trigger it, too! Over all, a worthwhile mod. Non-auto comes on at 50C.

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I installed the CBE setup bought from Otoparts in the Nederlands back in September, after a sizzling Spring/Summer trip to Greece and Italy. Eurofizz lager REALLY needs a good chill!
Easy install in the top fridge vent (thanks Lenny HB ). Was VERY surprised at how quickly the fan was triggered on auto. The unit range is 25C to 35C The lower temp was almost constant even in Autumn Switzerland and Austria and the higher easily reached. Not a bad thing and beer is decently cold, even in a fairly overloaded fridge. Having the adjacent oven on seems to trigger it, too! Over all, a worthwhile mod. Non-auto comes on at 50C.
I also bought the kit, €45 a year or so ago. Works really well in the top vent. 12v behind most fridge setups.

Ours helped keep the contents of the fridge and freezer part cold and frozen for 5 hours on one very hot (43°) day inside MH when parked up on open sunbaked carpark. I had forgotten to switch the manual setting to gas from the cab battery when parking up. The live 12v feed we picked up behind the fridge means that they work independently of the fridge setting and they came on automatically with the high ambient temperature.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back