Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Looking at fitting these fans to our Autotrail.
Just fitted these to my Delaware, quite an easy job once started and only one 10mm hole to drill. Being a complete electrical noddy I'm impressed that I got them to work.
It came as a complete kit from Germany and was reasonably expensive in comparison to others but I liked the controller in preference to what has been shown on e-bay and other places. Fits well and looks professional. (No criticism intended whatsoever towards any other setups).

Attachments

• Controller by door.JPG
    Controller by door.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Controller.JPG
    Controller.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 127
  • Fans.JPG
    Fans.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Box.JPG
    Box.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 129

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a couple of computer fans and one of these thermal switch circuits set to come on at 30degrees and off at 25degrees works well

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Nik, also looking at this kit, where did you order? Seen on eBay,Amazon and various German websites

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Hi @Richard RB and @Happy1

I got it from a German company www.freizeitschmiede.com via Amazon UK.
I've attached a link below.
The controller I have is oblong whereas this one is square. The oblong one, appears today, to be out of stock but apart from appearance they are the same. An enquiry with the supplier may reveal when the oblong one will be back in stock.

Amazon product ASIN B01N6STVDR
Mine has a designation of P292-2.
The square one is shown as MCV-2.

If there is anything else I can assist with please don't hesitate.
Best regards
Nik.

Last edited:

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Hi Nik,
Thanks, the square one looks like it has a poor sliding switch but accept cbe a good make, the one you have has a proper switch which i think is better, the description suggests you can vary fan speed and temperature it kicks in but only one rotary control on panel,
What does it do?
Regards

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Hi @Happy1 .
The rotary control controls the temperature that the fan kicks in at. It's not calibrated so will be a matter of guess work when we next use the fridge which will be in late August. I'll sus it out properly then.
Cheers.
Nik

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Hi @Happy1 .
The rotary control controls the temperature that the fan kicks in at. It's not calibrated so will be a matter of guess work when we next use the fridge which will be in late August. I'll sus it out properly then.
Cheers.
Nik
how did it perform @Nik ?

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Hi @Jagtazman .
It appeared to work well.
The fridge did appear to work better especially on the hotter days. I will need some really hot days to see how effective it is in extremis. I put it on 'auto' but with the control set to just off the lowest setting and the fan kicked in and out when required.
I'm very happy with it and now look forward to assessing it in hotter temperatures.
Most happy to help if you need any more info.
Best regards.
Nik

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
I had a new fridge fitted before we started this trip but the fridge fans were not refitted. Now the heat is building up I decided to put them back. They work fine but I am unsure of the best position for the thermocouple. My gut feeling is just below the upper vent.

My reasoning is that at the uppermost level the temperature will almost always be hot and fans will hardly ever switch off. At the base level the temperature will rarely rise above external temperature and fans won't cool the cabinet.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I had a new fridge fitted before we started this trip but the fridge fans were not refitted. Now the heat is building up I decided to put them back. They work fine but I am unsure of the best position for the thermocouple. My gut feeling is just below the upper vent.

My reasoning is that at the uppermost level the temperature will almost always be hot and fans will hardly ever switch off. At the base level the temperature will rarely rise above external temperature and fans won't cool the cabinet.

Hi pal, where was the thermocouple originally fitted. If I remember right it was at the top.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
heat rises so the thermal sensor needs to go at the top by the cooling fins on the rear of the fridge. unlike some I have seen with the fans fitted to the bottom vent, they need to be behind the top vent

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
heat rises so the thermal sensor needs to go at the top by the cooling fins on the rear of the fridge. unlike some I have seen with the fans fitted to the bottom vent, they need to be behind the top vent

The fans are at the top vent, blowing out. I think the controller was also at the top.

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi pal, where was the thermocouple originally fitted. If I remember right it was at the top.

Hell Dave if I could remember for definite I would just put it back in the same place. It certainly wasn't taped to the top. I know it was loose hanging somewhere but I can't remember how it was fixed.

I took the thing out out when I removed the old fridge. I bought a new one from O'Leary's and Steve fitted it for me. Bloody good job he did too. But that was a while ago at the ill fated Newark show where day attendees were given their money back cos the show was so rubbish. I am now in Fuengirola ready to move to Portugal and I just can't remember where the thermocouple was originally.

I think if I fix it to the top of the cavity ie above the top vent the air in that area will not move much. If it hangs down from the top. Either behind the extraction fans or just below them, this will be in an area where the air is moving and so will give a better control effect. Does that sound reasonable?

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011

Yea that sounds logical. In the available space it will not be easy hanging it directly behind the fans or on the back of the fridge as that would be very close to the burner exhaust or other constantly hot elements of the unit.

I will try it in the upper part of the enclosure but nearer to the external wall rather than the back of the fridge unit itself. I can see then light on the control unit so will be able to note how often and for how long the fans are actually active.

THANKS GUYS

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If my memory serves me right, that control unit has an adjustment screw, so if the fans are not coming in when they should you can adjust them. Or of course vice versa.

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Well remembered Dave. Yes it does. It runs from 0 to 100 degrees C with markings at 10 degree intervals. It seems to be working ok at present set at about 50.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My fans switch on at about 45°c so I find it works just right if the sensor is half way across the fins and it just pushes in between them nicely.
What your aiming for is the temperature of the pipe exiting the fins on the left needs to be at ambient temperature but still hot on the right hand side of the fins.

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
My fans switch on at about 45°c so I find it works just right if the sensor is half way across the fins and it just pushes in between them nicely.
What your aiming for is the temperature of the pipe exiting the fins on the left needs to be at ambient temperature but still hot on the right hand side of the fins.

Thanks for that I will keep my eye on it.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Fitted ours behind top vent today.
Nice an easy to wire up to electrics ontop of fridge.
20180529_182702.jpg
20180529_160534.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back