Fridge door woes (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We are on our way back from Arran today, irrelevant to the thread but just for reference

Yesterday loaded up, checked all, then moved off slightly uneven pitch, only gone a few yards and one god almighty crash, I thought I had hit a leccy post, Bev who was outside thought I had grounded and was looking underneath MH

I turned to see the fridge door lying next to Lola about 6 feet from where I last saw it :Eeek: and where it still should have been

A few days earlier we had discussed just how heavy the door is with milk, tonic water and a few beers on it........ just as well we always check it is locked before we move!!

Not this time we didn't, we don't always and often have to despatch Bev to shut it as we move off site :doh:

Now I have a big hole with no door, and a few broken plastic bits on the floor

The door is amazingly light with nothing on it, I worked out where it had come from and despite the broken catches managed to get it back in place with a small realignment of the top pin, latched it and moved off

Now I need to acquire new fittings, anybody else suffered similar, any guidance?? Considering how much is broken off the bottom catch I am amazed it still fits and opens, might even leave it unfixed

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
Hi David
What make and module is it, single or double door.
Do you mean that the hinges have snapped or are it the catches that hold the door closed?
Regards
Ray

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Its a Dometic, fridge door approx. 1m high, separate freezer door not affected

Both top and bottom hinge fittings are broken the bottom one much more seriously

Catch that holds it closed still works!! operator error, again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
http://www.leisurespares.co.uk

You should find the model number of the fridge/freezer in the rear of the fridge cabinet. Give leisure spares a call they may even have the parts in stock and if you're coming down the A1 on your return you could call in to them at Boroughbridge

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
My wife has a theory; if she is going to be using the fridge again in the next 48 hours then there is no point putting the sneck down to hold the door closed. As a consequence it is a common occurrence for us to drive off with the beer tins sliding all over the floor.

On the plus side our door hinge is on the right so the door swings rather gently rather than trying to break itself in two as it might do if the hinge was the other way round.

I want it to be known that I never ever remonstrate or make any negative comment when the clatter does take place. I keep my gob firmly shut. But I still get the same glare.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
On the plus side our door hinge is on the right so the door swings rather gently rather than trying to break itself in two as it might do if the hinge was the other way round.

I am going to see if we can rehinge ours on the RHS, it will hardly make any difference for access and will be so much safer when we forget next time

Another case of the designer never having used a MH

Looked more closely at door now, looks like he key bit damaged may actually be part of the door as the bottom corner of the door appears to be missing some trim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I replaced my complete fridge for a later model that locks when you close it so it can be hinged either side safely. My previous fridge was hinged on the right (offside install)and made access awkward from the cooking area.

TRY

My swap
Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back