fridge contents smelling of gone off milk (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
For the last two weeks the fridge has a smell of gone off milk when the door is opened.
I even bought fridge deodorises to stop it.now it's part defrosted it doesn't smell.
Now its stopped cooling. The back part of the freezer box is still frozen so the food inside the small freezer box is still frozen.but the food inside the fridge part is only just cool not cold.
I've tried switching from gas to electric and testing it when driving on 12 volt.
It clicks and then I can hear a small whoosh as if it is lit and the orange light glows, not flickers.
It also glows green when on electric.
I've tried switching the gas off and leaving fridge on to use the gas up in the lines but the same happens when I switch it back on.
It's a dometic not SES model. NOT A SEPARATE freezer.its an under counter fridge.
any ideas please?
It's been cleaned 3 times and fully defrosted before this.
I've used onions, bicarbonate of soda to get rid of smell.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Our fridge did similar last summer in the French heat-phew!
Hubby took the whole gas jet assembly out cleaned it and it's housing, a lot of soot was in & around it, put all back together and it was ok for a day or two but still not A1 so he cleaned it all again and-wow, a working fridge.
The jet just gets bunged up with soot.
Caution, DO NOT clean the jet out by putting something through the jet hole, blow it out with air-tyre pump!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Next time you open a bottle of wine, keep the cork ! Not plastic ones true cork! Then put it in, also a slice or two of bread! and funnily ... fresh milk , the whole thing should get rid of the smell. If you don't have bottles of wine... I'll give you some cork tomorrow!!;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Are you possibly smelling Ammonia?
If so the coolant gas may be leaking

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks Frankie, I'm at the end of my tether with it. See you tomorrow. I don't have a Cork, I usually buy rose in a carton while we've been in Spain but I can't see them in a french supermarket .except 3 litre cartons.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Are you possibly smelling Ammonia?
If so the coolant gas may be leaking
I've read online that if I smelt ammonia that the gas could be leaking from the sealed unit but I'm sure it's a smell of stale milk. But I'm doubting myself now. I hope it's not anyway as that's big bucks to change the fridge. Eeek.
I've cleaned it so much I don't think there could be a possibility of anything left to smell in there but I remember reading ages ago from another funster that they had a smell of stale milk emanating from their fridge and it turned out they had spilled milk on the carpet in front of the fridge but I've checked that also.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Check the little hole at the rear inside of fridge isn't blocked or frozen. If it may be, put some hot water down to clear the blockage. Also check the rear container (take off lower fridge vent to access). It did it for us

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back