Fridge comparisons (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2018
N Wales nr Chester
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay pvc
Exp
16yrs
Supposedly (?) Campervan compressor fridges are better than the absorption type fridges,
Is this correct ? . . .
I know that absorption types are silent as they rely on the heat transfer method, whereas compressor fridges (as the name implies) have a compressor - do they make much noise ?
The layout of our van means a fridge would have to be sited next to the bed and I'm concerned that a regular or continuing noise would interfere with my beauty sleep šŸ˜°.
Looking at something like a 'Dometic/Waeco' CRX65 coolmatic model is this power hungry ?
(The blurb says not) - but users own comments are worth far more -
Also whilst I've got your attention (šŸ˜) - with a bank of 3 x 110Ah leisure batteries and 350w solar panel is this sufficient to run it along with 'normal' LED lighting needs ?
I'd welcome your views and opinions.
Vic

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
When I build my van, I oversized the cupboard for the fridge, ( crx50) and padded with foam, but still left space for ventilation. I donā€™t even notice when is on, unless I open the door. And itā€™s at the feet side of the bed. It is fixed in the cupboard with hard foam in the middle of the sides and top, no fixings. When it starts, sometimes, you can hear it in very quiet nights, but thatā€™s about it. Having no hard fixings to the cupboard, it dampens the noise and vibration.
Your solar and batteries are more that adequate to run a compressor fridge. Our takes 0,3-0,4kwh per day. Thatā€™s 25-30ah at 12v approximate.

hermanmullins

Free Member
Jul 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
I would stay with the absorption refrigerator and see if it works for you; assuming that it is in working condition. If you don't like it or it is not working well then you can replace it with a compressor frig. Absorption refrigerators work for some people and not for others. Compressor refrigerators are $$$.
As a data point; I have less than $1000 in 200W solar/ 208 AH battery system. It runs my compressor frig and other stuff well. I am seldom below 80% battery capacity in the AM. top refrigerators

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back