Fridge burner and/or flue problem (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
In common with lots of people, I am having a problem with my fridge running on gas after quite a few trips without hook-up. The problem is a smell from the flue when on gas, poor cooling and the flame "popping"

Reading the many threads, I need to clean the burner and the flue. My problem is that although a lot of threads refer to people "removing the burner" I can't find any explicit instructions how to do it so wondered if someone could point me to a description of what to do.

It is a RM7655 fridge with big vents so I can get to the burner easily enough, I have removed the windshield so can see the burner and have generally cleaned around the area and given it a blast with a can of compressed air but am stuck on the next step. I am just home from a trip and have a couple of weeks to get it fixed before setting off for the Whisky meet and Norfolk show.

It is only a gas problem, it cools fine on mains or 12V.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The two causes of poor combustion, once the dust & debris around the burner have been removed, are: a partially blocked jet or air feed: or a partially blocked flue. The flue can be accessed from the top vent and cleaned with a bottle brush after removing the baffle (which is a spiral of flat steel hung down the flue from a wire). You'll need to use a vacuum cleaner to remove dirt that fall into the jet area. This might be enough to solve the problem. If not turn off the gas supply to the fridge and the jet assembly can be removed for cleaning or, better, replacement. Removal of the jet assembly means undoing the pipework nut immediately behind it so you need to be confident that you can remake the connection. The fridge manual or a arts list will have a drawing of the jet assembly. Spares list below:

Link Removed

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
When my fridge failed, I managed to get to the burner jet, which turned out to be a tiny circle of metal with a tinier hole in it. Some rust particle had fallen into the hole and jammed.
I had seen many dire warnings saying on no account try to "stick a pin in" to clear the jet, as that would inevitably change the size of the hole and render it at best useless, at worst dangerous!
What I did was to procure a short length of multistrand car wiring, and extract just one copper strand from that to use to clear the hole.
Job done, worked perfectly for several years until it was sold. Still working now, as far as I know!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Whitebirdyman
Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
If not turn off the gas supply to the fridge and the jet assembly can be removed for cleaning or, better, replacement. Removal of the jet assembly means undoing the pipework nut immediately behind it so you need to be confident that you can remake the connection.

Thanks for your help. Does that mean that the burner jet assembly is only held in place by the gas connection or is there something else?

OP
OP
Whitebirdyman
Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
When my fridge failed, I managed to get to the burner jet, which turned out to be a tiny circle of metal with a tinier hole in it. Some rust particle had fallen into the hole and jammed.

Thanks for your help. It is the "how" of getting to the burner jet that I am stuck on.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
theres a grub screw in the side of the flue which holds it in place remove that and the burner assembly drops down on the end of the pipe .You need a couple of spanners one to fit the nut on the gas connection and one to fit the burner body, a pair of grips will do that bit, undo the nut and the jet is inside the burner body only held in place by the pipe usually it falls out or comes out on the end of the pipe unusual to need the whole assembly just a new jet if it will not clear with compressed air
its normally dirt built up behind the jet so switch the fridge to gas for a second with the end open to blow it out

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back