Fridge and cooker vents (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Been looking at the vents for our Thetford fridge and grill. I'm surprised to see that there is no fine mesh grid behind the vent covers.

Surely wasps, bees or flies could easily get in there ? Are all vent covers like this ?

I know that there has to be a good air flow, but I'd have thought a mesh small enough to keep out flying pests would still allow enough air to get thro ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no thats right if you had a fine mesh it would be harder for the sleeping gas lads to get trhe gas into the van .
i think its been designed like that so they can sell you gas detectors .
far safer to have a compressor fridge and no vents on the outside .
ought to be a law against vents .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If your fridge is fitted correctly,( as per Dometic /Electrolux instructions ,) the rear of your fridge should be sealed from the habitation area.. so a fine mesh grill not required..

If not, I suggest you have it done.. it not only stops draughts, but also, when using LPG, prevents CO gas (which we all know is deadly) from getting into the habitation area.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
If your fridge is fitted correctly,( as per Dometic /Electrolux instructions ,) the rear of your fridge should be sealed from the habitation area.. so a fine mesh grill not required..

If not, I suggest you have it done.. it not only stops draughts, but also, when using LPG, prevents CO gas (which we all know is deadly) from getting into the habitation area.

Yeah, I understand the above and assume as the MH is brand new it should be sealed. But if a wasp or bee decided to build a nest behind the fridge that would not be a good thing for sure.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Yeah, I understand the above and assume as the MH is brand new it should be sealed. But if a wasp or bee decided to build a nest behind the fridge that would not be a good thing for sure.

Indeed it wouldn't.. but frankly I doubt a bee or wasp would tollerate the heat behind the fridge.. certainly never heard of it .. but saying it can't happen is tempting fate ..

seen the odd spider in there.. :Eeek:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Indeed it wouldn't.. but frankly I doubt a bee or wasp would tollerate the heat behind the fridge.. certainly never heard of it .. but saying it can't happen is tempting fate ..

seen the odd spider in there.. :Eeek:

We have the start of a wasps nest at the back of our grill. The van is going back to the dealer's to get it sorted out.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Just been out and looked at ours and there is no fine mesh on them. I did not look if we had any visitors in there but they will be in for a suprise on Friday when they end up in Bridlington

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Further information regarding the above.

I rang Thetford and there are two sizes of external vent.

Small @6" deep (width does not matter) and large @12" deep.

The small has a mesh fitted and the large does not !! They say that a mesh cannot be fitted to the large as it would reduce the airflow too much.

Which sounds a bit weird as there are covers which should be fitted when the temp is below 10c. Presumably the fridge can be run on gas with these covers in place and they must restrict the air flow a lot.

Won't be fitting a home built mesh cover, just in case something goes wrong and the insurance co. would not pay out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back