Fresnel Lens - Be Safer In UK & Overseas - Blind Spot Visibility Increased (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thank you to all those who suggested the Fresnel lens on this thread https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/a-class-blind-spot-at-junctions.198339/ as looking into that can see that with a LHD van conversion it would be helpful with visibility at junctions in UK but also a good idea for those with RHD motorhomes for the same reasons overseas (y) It's not a lot of money for extra safety or to prevent an accident or damage & both lorry & van sized ones recommended by the Road Haulage Association here http://www.rhaonline.co.uk/search/i...mit=true&save=1&imageField.x=0&imageField.y=0 & an eBay seller here who has Best Offer on van ones & a bit cheaper if just buying one here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vehicle-...484568?hash=item261add8d98:g:KpQAAOSwuqdasMuC - might help any PVC owners reading this.
Thought this product should have its own thread as it certainly looks like an almost essential safety accessory to fit on the inside of passenger cab windows for many of us.

There are lots of cheaper Fresnel lens from around £5 delivered on Amazon & eBay but as our passenger window gets wound down quite a lot think we will try the more expensive acrylic self adhesive version for longevity & acrylic is meant to give a clearer view.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I'm guessing these would not work on C class MHs, our bulge would get in the way.
Good point but with positioning perhaps it might still be beneficial? Perhaps some on here have already tried & if so please let us know.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
I had to install a camera and monitor when in europe because of the stupid blindspot as I travel solo in a RHD Must get one of these.

Any probs rolling down the window?

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I had to install a camera and monitor when in europe because of the stupid blindspot as I travel solo in a RHD Must get one of these.

Any probs rolling down the window?
We haven't got ours yet as only spotted this accessory today - sure others will advise. We are going for the self adhesive acrylic (van) version which is meant to eliminate the risk of problems with the window opening.
Buying this accessory based on the glowing reviews on Fresnel lens from @Lenny HB & others on here & RVOC forum.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Is the one linked to soft or Hard, i bought one last week, from ebay which uses water to attach with ????,
its a soft flexible plastic it arrived yesterday seems quite good(well its not fell off yet :LOL:) .

here's the i have bought https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIDE-ANGLE-CAR-REAR-WINDOW-FRESNEL-LENS-VIEW-OPTICAL-8-x10-Reversing-Parking/232191086000?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
There are both the soft plastic & hard acrylic ones on the RHA link & all self adhesive so don't use water. The van one on the eBay link is acrylic & self adhesive according to the description.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Is the one linked to soft or Hard, i bought one last week, from ebay which uses water to attach with ????,
its a soft flexible plastic it arrived yesterday seems quite good(well its not fell off yet :LOL:) .

here's the i have bought https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIDE-ANGLE-CAR-REAR-WINDOW-FRESNEL-LENS-VIEW-OPTICAL-8-x10-Reversing-Parking/232191086000?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Mine has been on nearly a month. With the soft ones you can reposition them as often as you want.
You paid a bit over the odds I got the same one for £4.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Mine was the enormous sum of £3.91 and sent via air mail from China.

Whether it works and is any good or not is an entirely different question.
Watch this space.

Richard.

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Mine has been on nearly a month. With the soft ones you can reposition them as often as you want.
You paid a bit over the odds I got the same one for £4.

Looking around now i probably did, i watched a youtube video which featured which showed the one i bought.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Wanting to learn more about this product we contacted Lens-Tech so now we have a sample of the large soft lens as well as the smaller hard lens. Like that it could improve safety on the road & help prevent accidents for not a lot of cost.
First impression is that the hard acrylic lens gives a much clearer image than the soft plastic one. The hard lens is only available in one (small) size which is ideal for vans & standard cab windows & can also be used in larger ones positioned differently. The large soft one is too big for standard cab windows but due to size does give a wider view & whilst it isn't as clear as the acrylic it is still very good so may be better for large A Class & RV windows. Both are fixed by the 3M self adhesive strip around the edge not water & fix inside the window not outside. So far we haven't fitted our small acrylic lens but will once it's out of storage shortly as holding it up & trying it out can see that it will be great for improving visibility. Our only concern is how it will work with the window going up & down - the fitting instructions suggest fitting it with the edge under the seal if there is, but don't know yet if that will be where it is best for added view.
Large soft plastic lens with the removable self adhesive tape backing around the edge:

DSCF8464.JPG

Small acrylic hard lens:

DSCF8467.JPG

Fitting instructions:

DSCF8465.JPG

DSCF8466.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Bought one. No brainier. Thanks! Again :D.
Hi - have you fitted yours yet & how do you find it? Does it work ok with the window going up & down?

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Current best prices online from eBay seller Aide Automotive for both the large soft plastic lens & the smaller acrylic one https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_...RC2.A0.H0.Xfresnel.TRS0&_nkw=fresnel&_sacat=0 & worth making a Best Offer. We are currently in contact with Lens-Tech to see if it's possible to get a better price for Motorhome Fun & RVOC members on these if buying direct.
There is also the option of the water fitted plastic Fresnel lens on eBay & whatever option is chosen think that like TPMS something is better than nothing from a safety point of view.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
For info and thanks to Lenny HB for the original nod in the right direction. Fitted a soft Fresnel to our LHD. Think the photo speaks for itself when looking at the tugger logo parked next door. Only the N visible to the eye but full logo and much more of the ground level through the Fresnel.

Also the image of the horsebox on monitor screen via camera to offside wing compared to the original photo gives a much clearer view at a junction.

IMG_20190616_171026.jpg
IMG_20190616_171104.jpg

EastAngler

Free Member
Apr 23, 2019
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 1993
Exp
Has anybody put one of these on their rear window to assist in seeing what is low down behind you? Have a Hymer B544 A Class without a reversing camera and am thinking that this could be a benefit.

Thanks

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Has anybody put one of these on their rear window to assist in seeing what is low down behind you? Have a Hymer B544 A Class without a reversing camera and am thinking that this could be a benefit.

Thanks

I used one, many years ago, on my VW campervan rear window. That's what they were originally designed for AFAIK.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now

Thanks
Funnily enough we have just put one in our car rear window & it works well. Very happy with the one in our LHD motorhome passenger window too.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Funnily enough we have just put one in our car rear window & it works well. Very happy with the one in our LHD motorhome passenger window too.
On seeing your original post, I have purchased one from the Road Haulage Association. The carriage was a bit expensive, but decided to cough up anyway. We spend a lot of time on the continent.

It has been delivered and I just need to fit it on the passenger window of our RHD pvc.

Thanks for the heads up! (y)

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Fitted to the offside window to assist in blind junctions - works very well

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Our last MoHo already had one in the rear window when we bought it 9 years ago. I wouldn't be without one, so bought 2 for the new one. There are loads on Amazon, but I got this one for £6.99 on Amazon Prime.

I originally made the mistake of putting it right at the centre in the rear, which meant I couldn't see "reality" directly behind me (everything looks miles away, which seems dangerous to me!), so I moved it to one side, where it's doing a grand job.

I have also put one in the passenger window, but if I'm honest, that one's not working as well for me as I'd like - I still have a huge blind spot down the left hand side of the MoHo (it's a RHD) which makes reversing into a parking spot nigh impossible without a second pair of eyes, but it's better than having nothing at all. So far, I haven't tried using it for any awkward junctions, as I've always had a passenger.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Our last MoHo already had one in the rear window when we bought it 9 years ago. I wouldn't be without one, so bought 2 for the new one. There are loads on Amazon, but I got this one for £6.99 on Amazon Prime.

I originally made the mistake of putting it right at the centre in the rear, which meant I couldn't see "reality" directly behind me (everything looks miles away, which seems dangerous to me!), so I moved it to one side, where it's doing a grand job.

I have also put one in the passenger window, but if I'm honest, that one's not working as well for me as I'd like - I still have a huge blind spot down the left hand side of the MoHo (it's a RHD) which makes reversing into a parking spot nigh impossible without a second pair of eyes, but it's better than having nothing at all. So far, I haven't tried using it for any awkward junctions, as I've always had a passenger.
Try turning the passenger side lens through 90 degrees (with the top facing forwards)

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Try turning the passenger side lens through 90 degrees (with the top facing forwards)
The first place I tried it was that way round first on our kitchen window - purely because that's what the shape and size of the window dictated, but it wasn't much use there, as it was too high up and too far back for me to see anything useful through it. But it's a good thought - I may give it another go that way round on the passenger window instead.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
UPDATE: Having had a few long trips testing it out we are impressed with our Fresnel lens & it has already helped avoid one accident when someone cut us up on exiting the motorway ? plus when pulling out of junctions in our LHD motorhome it works a treat so wouldn't want to be without one now. Tried to get a deal for interested Funsters to buy direct at a bargain price from the manufacturer but after consideration they can only use resellers but still seeing what deal might be possible through those resellers.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
UPDATE: Should be able to buy the small hard acrylic Fresnel lens direct from the manufacturer Lens-Tech at £10.85 delivered (reduced rate for Motorhome Fun members) shortly so a couple of pounds cheaper than previous options (y) Will post full details once sorted.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
UPDATE: Should be able to buy the small hard acrylic Fresnel lens direct from the manufacturer Lens-Tech at £10.85 delivered (reduced rate for Motorhome Fun members) shortly so a couple of pounds cheaper than previous options (y) Will post full details once sorted.
Details for anyone who wants to buy the small acrylic Fresnel lens from the manufacturer just send an email to sales@lens-tech.com with the subject heading “MotorHome Fun” & they will send you an invoice that you can click on & pay via Square which is a secure method like Paypal. So £10.85 each for 1 or 2 lenses but 2.5% discount for 3-5 lenses & 5% discount for 6+ lenses (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back