Fresh water tanks. How often do you clean them (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I go to UK once a year, and fill up with chlorinated water to clean it up.

But we never use it for drinking water anyway. Apart from Elvis.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
In all the years of motorhoming I have never cleaned the fresh water tank. Should I and if so how often and what with
Depends on a number of things as you most probably know. If you use the system full time and are constantly running fresh water through the system, then most probably never.

However as an example if you use it only occasionally, don't drain down the fresh water and just leave it in the tank, then you may have to consider cleaning, or at least sterilising it, to ensure no bugs are growing or living in the system. Like after winter storage.

If required I use this to sterilise.....
IMG_0263.JPG

And then pop in the occasional.....
IMG_3327.JPG

And I quite happily drink from my tank when needed:)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It can be a bit hit and miss. In over 20years of Fixed tank use, both UK/Europe and the USA. and many years of "aquaroll" usage before that!. I have only cleaned tanks occasionally, and then only as a precaution, usually when first acquiring the Unit "just in case" the last owner had been less than particular with water source, and once or twice when the source we used had been a bit "dodgy". Never had a bug that could be traced back to water. (touches wood) or beer!.

Edit:- I have fitted an "in line" filter though, it does improve taste and the amount of scale in the kettle as well as I assume the Water Heater.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I use the AquaClean tablets PP Bear mentions above about once a year or so. I don't trust the water coming out of taps in faraway places. We filled up at a place in Provence and there were leaves in the water! The tablets do make the water smell "chemically" but until that goes we just fill the kettle from bottled water.
You can buy them from Go Outdoors very cheaply and use a one tablet per 5 litres I think. Just push the tablet into the filling intake and flush down with a hose. Give them a while to dissolve then run the taps so the treated water fills all the pipes. You will smell it when it comes through. :)
Leave overnight then drain, refill and flush if you want, or just use the water normally.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We don't drink 'tank' water but are going to do the Vinegar bit to remove any scale from the hot water side. Got white vinegar from France-very cheap!

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I use the AquaClean tablets PP Bear mentions above about once a year or so. I don't trust the water coming out of taps in faraway places. We filled up at a place in Provence and there were leaves in the water! The tablets do make the water smell "chemically" but until that goes we just fill the kettle from bottled water.
You can buy them from Go Outdoors very cheaply and use a one tablet per 5 litres I think. Just push the tablet into the filling intake and flush down with a hose. Give them a while to dissolve then run the taps so the treated water fills all the pipes. You will smell it when it comes through. :)
Leave overnight then drain, refill and flush if you want, or just use the water normally.
I bet it does pong a bit, it's meant to be 1 tab to 25lts of water:)

Good stuff and like you, pop them in occasionally, depending on where I've filled up:)

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Yes he get's thirsty working in our Chip shop.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back