Jun 29, 2017
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Celtic Rambler 5th Wheel
Exp
2 years
Hi
We have a Celtic Rambler which we are living in full time. In the "bible " it states when the heater is in continuous use, it should be emptied approx once a month. As we have now been on the road for just over 4 weeks we think we should heed the advice. It states we should use Milton or Aquasol. Any advice out there for any cheaper and safe bleach that we can use as it's going to be a regular occurrence.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You need to be wary of products that contain "bleach" as they could \ would react with stainless steel in the water system. We use Puraclean instead.
Others with wider knowledge than myself will comment in a moment.

Nov 19, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2002
Fernox Sterol is easy to use with no odour 1 ltr will treat 300 ltrs and does not require flushing a bit expensive about £25/ltr but very easy to use

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
As a Fulltimer, why would you need to replenish the FRESH water tank in consideration of the HEATING water?
Firstly, as a Fulltimer, your FRESH water tank is being replenished FAR more often than a "holiday" user and so bacteria/legionella etc is far less of a risk.
Secondly, AFAIAA, the FRESH water tank is a totally separate system to the heating water on a Rambler?
The Ramblers use various models of the Alde wet water heating systems which have thier own fully enclosed systems with thier own header tank which has no connection to the fresh water system.
The only connection I can think of is that they (the writers of the "bible") might consider that as your heating is on all the time, they might consider that the water in the fresh supply might get over 20 degrees ( the temperature at legionella starts to grow) but TBH, as a Fulltimer, you're going to use the water in your tank faster than would allow static water to "grow".

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Assuming that the Celtic Rambler has Alde heating the instruction to empty the hot water side of the boiler and refill every few weeks is to maintain/re establish an air cushion within the hot water side of the boiler.

It is in the Alde instruction manual but next to nobody read instructions;)

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You need to be wary of products that contain "bleach" as they could \ would react with stainless steel in the water system. We use Puraclean instead.
Others with wider knowledge than myself will comment in a moment.
I believe that Alde recommend Puriclean(y)

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Copied from Alde instructions,

NB! The hot water is not intended for drinking or cooking. When the heater is in continuous use, it should be emptied approx. once a month, to ensure that a new air cushion is formed in the heater.

The air cushion is essential for absorbing pressure surges in the heater. For emp- tying specially-adapted boilers, as well
as any other freshwater systems in the vehicle, please refer to the manufacturer’s instructions.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
The above is spot on. I have to do the same with my Atwood water heater re air cushion.
However, the O/P's title stated FRESH water tank.

Apr 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
5th Wheeler
Exp
1 year
I agree, the fresh water tank is separate to the heater system and 5th Wheel co did instruct me to drain off 1lt from the hotvwater system once a month to maintain the air cushion.
Celtic Rambler owner

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back