Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
I have a new Starspirit and have a problem with a taste from the fresh water tank. The water is horrible to drink with a kindov "chemical" taste to it. Tea tastes foul too, even if the water is filtered using a "Britta" filter. I have tried rinsing the tank out several times, to no avail. Also tried water purification tablets to no avail. I now use bottled water for tea and cooking. I was hoping to get an on board water filter tap thingy, but this would be pointless if the water still had the nasty taste. I did not have this problem with my last van. Has anyone else had a similar experience, or any advice from anyone? All imput greatfully received !! :helpsos:

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sometimes tanks have a "taste" and no matter what you do you cannot get rid of it. As a newbie I filled up the water tank of a new van with a new but cheap garden hose, six months later the "rubber" taste was still present and that was after Miltons and mild bleach solutions.

Our present van was 3 when we got it, we gave it a dose or two of miltons and it is fine, we fill it with our own spring water and our morning cuppa tastes just as if we were at home. So boiled for tea and teeth cleaning we use the tank, but if the kids want water to drink or to dilute squash then we always use bottled water, we have a couple of large bottles and take our own water with us. Buying water in the UK is expensive but on the continent its cheap enough.

Never wanting to risk the rubber taste again we always fill our tank with the blue food grade hose, the roll flat type, they are a pain to use, they fill slowly and are a niggle to empty and re-stow, but this is far better than risking that disgusting rubber taste.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We never drink the water from our tank as we've never quite managed to get rid of that taste although its not too strong. We carry a couple of plastic 5 litre water bottles which is sufficient for weekends and handy to refill on longer trips. Tanks are filled through a green garden hose and I flush tanks and Milton about once every 3 months. Works for us although I am considering a water purifier not heard a bad word about them yet just not got around to doing it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
We never drink the water from our tank. We fill with garden hose and use only for showering, washing dishes and flushing the toilet.

We carry drinking water for all drinks and teeth brushing.

We have talked of having a water filter installed but like others we just haven't got round to it yet!

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
We rarely drink from the tank but as JJ say's regularly use Milton fluid in it to clean it out.

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Get a nature pure filter

1. kills any bugs
2. makes even ditchwater crystal clear and taste free

Link Removed

These should be fitted as standard, I just cant see the point of having onboard tank and carrying drinking water seperately....

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I can confirm George's statement. we have one in our RV and the waters Chrystal clean and taste free
Geo:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I can confirm George's statement. we have one in our RV and the waters Chrystal clean and taste free
Geo:thumb:

Thats great we all know where to fill our kettles up from now:winky::winky:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thats great we all know where to fill our kettles up from now:winky::winky:
Yeah Pop over john anytime:roflmto:
you'll be ready for a cuppa time you get here:ROFLMAO:
Geo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Get a nature pure filter

1. kills any bugs

Link Removed

These should be fitted as standard, I just cant see the point of having onboard tank and carrying drinking water seperately....

Only way to go.. :thumb::thumb:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Get a nature pure filter

1. kills any bugs

Link Removed

Yupp I can confirm it works for me!!:thumb:

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
this is something we though about for our first trip and decided on bottled water, which seemed a bit dumb considering how much water we hold. So it's a Nature Pure then. We have a 42 gal fresh water tank, how much Milton should we use to initially clean it with? A few bottles?

Mick

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Mick if your fitting one of these filters the tank requires no prior treatment
Geo

F

fordy

Deleted User
If you buy a Nature Pure get the one without the tap and get your own top as the one that is supplied with it is a cheep plastic effort and have a tendency to brake at the thread on the base, plus you can get a good tap for less than £15.00
all brass ..but the unit is the best out there,,,,,,,

FORDY:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back