Fresh water tank (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
We pick up our MoHo this weekend (yay!). A quick question, after a weekend away do you always drain down the fresh water tank? If not, how long is okay to leave it and still use it?

I realise that draining the grey water is necessary.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
If I'm moving site, I leave mine in, if I'm heading home, I drain it, even if I'm not planning on being home long.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Never take it home and never fill it right up if away just for the weekend .We Just fill a container when we get there for drinking .

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Empty it, best way.

Also means if you can empty before returning home, it's less kg in weight to haul.

Also, consider using these once in a while if required as they'll keep everything hygienic and healthy too:)
IMG_3327.JPG

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I seem to be bucking the trend, I only drain down in winter. However never drink from tank as we always fill up fresh every day in a 5 litre container for cold water and tea coffee. I suppose there is only a small amount left in tank when we return and that gets topped up with fresh chlorinated water before next trip.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Drain down to 40litres before leaving a pitch unless wilding. Fill up on arrival. Drain completely at home. I imagine that bugs may still breed in the damp surroundings but none have got us yet.

Upvote 0

steveski

Free Member
May 20, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van coversion
Exp
I was advised to use purisol to clean the tank and system at the start of the year and then use midi tabs when I filled the tank, but as the van stands for a while between uses I emailed clean tabs to ask how long the water stays fresh and safe to use for the reply was :-

"The water in your tank will stay treated whilst no further water is
added. When you add more water, treat this amount of added water with
Midi Tabs. As long as you do this, the water will remain fresh and
treated. Don't over treat the water.

Treat the water system with PuriSol twice a year, once at the beginning
of the season and once at the end, and treat the water you add with Midi
Tabs and all will be well."

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Only when I am expecting frost whilst not using the van. Don't use it for drinking though, have a separate small container for that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
g3cwi
Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for the numerous replies and suggestions. Very helpful.

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
I seem to be bucking the trend, I only drain down in winter. However never drink from tank as we always fill up fresh every day in a 5 litre container for cold water and tea coffee. I suppose there is only a small amount left in tank when we return and that gets topped up with fresh chlorinated water before next trip.
Same here (y)

Upvote 0

Paddyfrog

Free Member
Mar 25, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Just had a snoop through this thread...... so I'll need Purisol tablets also.
Good idea to keep the drinking water separate, and just use the tank for other things.
It is all about a bit of experience (says she who has so little) and developing a system.... yes, I'm a systemizer.
So next sortie will be for IKEA boxes to keep things in cupboards, and tablets to clean/sterilize the water system from time to time. It feels reassuring not to need a helmet just to open a cupboard when I need dog food. Or those extendible bars.

Upvote 0

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
We pick up our MoHo this weekend (yay!). A quick question, after a weekend away do you always drain down the fresh water tank? If not, how long is okay to leave it and still use it?

I realise that draining the grey water is necessary.

While the taste may deteriorate over a relatively short time, numerous scientific studies have shown there won't be any actual health risks until tap water has been stored for a good number of months. We drain down every few months, wash out with Milton solution and then we are good to go again.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you wash/rinse with a special solution, like Milton, be sure not to flush it through a water filter. Mine clogged up and needed replacing. Better to remove an in-line filter first, if you have one.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Just had a snoop through this thread...... so I'll need Purisol tablets also.
Good idea to keep the drinking water separate, and just use the tank for other things.
It is all about a bit of experience (says she who has so little) and developing a system.... yes, I'm a systemizer.
So next sortie will be for IKEA boxes to keep things in cupboards, and tablets to clean/sterilize the water system from time to time. It feels reassuring not to need a helmet just to open a cupboard when I need dog food. Or those extendible bars.
Heavy items ought to be placed near the floor, rather than in an overhead locker. Then there's less need to secure the itms placed there. However, being orderly will help you find things when you need them. Lightweight trays (that fit) are an excellent way to store things in lockers, especially if you may need to lift them out.

Upvote 0

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Always leave ours full, if you look at a old bucket of rainwater in the garden any mold is up the top where the water has evaporated. not further down.
We normally sterilize once at the beginning of the season and again when we return from abroad.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back