Fresh water tank losing water (1 Viewer)

Evildoody

Free Member
Jul 6, 2017
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar Living GTL
Exp
Super Geek
I noticed a puddle underneath the freshwater tank underneath the van the other day. I popped my head under the van and seen a constant drip of water from a rubber pipe that seemed to be directly beneath the water tank. Any idea what this pipe is for?, I was thinking some sort of overflow, but even with only half a tank of water it keeps dripping - I believe left alone all the water in the tank would eventually drain away.

OP
OP
Evildoody

Evildoody

Free Member
Jul 6, 2017
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar Living GTL
Exp
Super Geek
No problem, will be out at the van tomorrow - so will take a few pics :)

Although, not sure how helpful they will be as it is a small diameter rubber hose that protrudes through a hole in the floor. e.g. imagine a square of plywood with a small rubber hose poking through the center of it and protruding about an inch.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Sounds like the dump valve exit. Or maybe the rubber bung in the bottom of the tank has loosened. Yes, that's the sum total of my freshwater dump system, accessed through the floor inside and a screwcap in the top of the tank. Can you get to the top of your tank to see?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Turn your pump off, open a hot water tap to relieve the pressure and check to see if it has stopped dripping, if it has stopped, it’s your dump valve.

OP
OP
Evildoody

Evildoody

Free Member
Jul 6, 2017
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar Living GTL
Exp
Super Geek
Turn your pump off, open a hot water tap to relieve the pressure and check to see if it has stopped dripping, if it has stopped, it’s your dump valve.

Just tried that and it didn't stop dripping :-

20180811_140735.jpg 20180811_140902.jpg

Water is coming from that pipe directly underneath the water tank, if I open that valve under the water tank, the water drains through the same hole. So I guess I need to replace that valve!

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Just tried that and it didn't stop dripping :-

View attachment 248435 View attachment 248436

Water is coming from that pipe directly underneath the water tank, if I open that valve under the water tank, the water drains through the same hole. So I guess I need to replace that valve!
What type of valve is it, can you take a photo of it?

OP
OP
Evildoody

Evildoody

Free Member
Jul 6, 2017
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar Living GTL
Exp
Super Geek
What type of valve is it, can you take a photo of it?

upload_2018-8-11_16-50-34.png

Looks like an hexagonal nut at both ends with a valve at the top that rotates 90 degrees to the right (above shows valve in closed position).

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Surely the boiler dump valve drain will be in a different place to the fresh water tank drain ?
Are you sure it`s not just the drain plug in the fresh water tank not seated correctly ?
Edit, read again and it sounds like you have a valve rather than a plug.
I`ll get my coat......

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Have you got a hose pipe ban in your area ? Could be someone pinching your water for their garden. Haha

OP
OP
Evildoody

Evildoody

Free Member
Jul 6, 2017
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar Living GTL
Exp
Super Geek
Surely the boiler dump valve drain will be in a different place to the fresh water tank drain ?
Are you sure it`s not just the drain plug in the fresh water tank not seated correctly ?

Yes, the boiler dump valve is at the opposite end of the motorhome and is working fine, this is the valve under the fresh water tank.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, the boiler dump valve is at the opposite end of the motorhome and is working fine, this is the valve under the fresh water tank.
So the valve you pictured allows you to drain the fresh water tank? Open and close it a good few times, might be some grit in it.

OP
OP
Evildoody

Evildoody

Free Member
Jul 6, 2017
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
CI Mizar Living GTL
Exp
Super Geek
So the valve you pictured allows you to drain the fresh water tank? Open and close it a good few times, might be some grit in it.

Yes, that is right mate - I have tried that and it is still leaking. Looks like I need a replacement, I just need to source that particular valve or perhaps retrofit another type of valve.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Try removing the tap handle, sometimes the handle can get loose. If you can get the handle off make sure the valve if fully in the off position

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
I would take it off and get it apart, it might just need a bit of attention?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back