LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just back from our last trip away in our 2013 Auto-trail Savannah and after nigh on three weeks of the water system working fine (hot, cold and toilet) all of them start spluttering so there seems to be air getting in somewhere.:(

Checked all the pipework, joints, pump, filter, etc and all seem bone dry which leads me to believe (and after reading various threads on here) there could be an issue with the pump with it letting water drain back down into the fresh tank.:unsure:

Now for the questions,
  • any other thoughts on what it could be?
Assuming it may be the pump I've searched online with no success in finding an exact replacement - model number is Shurflo 4029-181-A32. This pump seems to be a quad diaphragm model and is rated at - flow = 7.5l/m, shut off pressure = 20psi, amps = 3.5 max, 12v. I've found a number of triple diaphragm models, eg Shurflo Trail King 7 2095-204-112 & 412 rated at 20psi, 7.0l/m .
  • Anybody know if the 4029 model is available and I'm just useless at searching?
  • Is the 2095 model a suitable alternative?
  • Any other options I should be thinking about?
Appreciate your help gang.(y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
IT will be cheaper putting a one way valve inline between tank and pump.

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Any pictures available?
This is what's currently fitted -
Shurflo 4029.jpg

Your link is to the "manual" for the fitted pump (great (y)(y)(y)). If I'm reading it correctly you say you've sourced and fitted a replacement one. Any link to where you managed to get it from?

Many thanks

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
unlikely to be the pump. it is more likely grit in the non return valve near the tank. only a couple of quid but often a right PITA to get at an replace. its only a plastic ball and a spring held inside a shaped piece of tube so can often be washed out under a tap at mains pressure, but once they start failing they will soon need replacing

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
IT will be cheaper putting a one way valve inline between tank and pump.
This is another option I had thought about but not sure I'll have enough space to fit as pipework disappears straight through the floor into the top of the tank.

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
unlikely to be the pump. it is more likely grit in the non return valve near the tank. only a couple of quid but often a right PITA to get at an replace. its only a plastic ball and a spring held inside a shaped piece of tube so can often be washed out under a tap at mains pressure, but once they start failing they will soon need replacing
On checking the manual linked to by PPBear it says the pump includes a check valve. Would this be the same as a built-in non-return valve and therefore maybe not a valve fitted before the filter?:unsure:
Pipework disappears straight through the floor into the top of the tank but, as you say, a bu**** to see and confirm this!:mad:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if it was me, i would cut the pipe as close to the tank as possible and fit an extra non return valve if possible. the problem is the last foot or so of pipework will drain back to the tank when the flow stops

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
if it was me, i would cut the pipe as close to the tank as possible and fit an extra non return valve if possible. the problem is the last foot or so of pipework will drain back to the tank when the flow stops
Will crawl under, have a look see and let you guys know how we get on.(y)
Thanks for your efforts.

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Interesting thread. Alan has almost the same problem on his autotrail but it's a possiflow pump.
Maybe this thread will help him too :)

OP
OP
Gellyneck

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just been reminded by another Funster that I hadn't given the final outcome of the problem (thanks John) so better late than never!:rolleyes:
Not much of a solution right enough as it just seemed to resolve itself a couple of weeks later on our next trip.(y)
Kinda guessing it was just a bit of grit sticking the valve open that cleared itself (as suggested by @TheBig1 above).

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Just been reminded by another Funster that I hadn't given the final outcome of the problem (thanks John) so better late than never!:rolleyes:
Not much of a solution right enough as it just seemed to resolve itself a couple of weeks later on our next trip.(y)
Kinda guessing it was just a bit of grit sticking the valve open that cleared itself (as suggested by @TheBig1 above).
Lucky one, would have been funny seeing you try to crawl under the floor. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
This is what's currently fitted -
View attachment 160853

Your link is to the "manual" for the fitted pump (great (y)(y)(y)). If I'm reading it correctly you say you've sourced and fitted a replacement one. Any link to where you managed to get it from?

Many thanks
That's for the US market, not the EU.
It's rated at 2 AMERICAN gallons per minute... A US gallon is only 3.75ltrs

Try some of the RV dealers.

Oppps, just realised the thread is almost 2 years old.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back