Fresh water intake. (1 Viewer)

Mark Purnell

Free Member
Aug 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Hi all.
I have just bought a motor home after years of caravanning.
My query is this….
My van is a quite old Burstner Elegance (2004). Is there a way for me to supply water to the onboard tank from an aqua roll, bearing in mind that there is no 12v supply by the water filler cap to power a pump. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Hi all.
My query is this….
My van is a quite old Burstner Elegance (2004). Is there a way for me to supply water to the onboard tank from an aqua roll, bearing in mind that there is no 12v supply by the water filler cap to power a pump. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Short of giving yourself a hernia trying to lift the Aquaroll the answer is to fit a 12v socket by the water filler cap and use a submersible pump. Many owners do that.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
If it's only a temporary measure you could make a suitable 12v extension lead and power the pump from a socket inside the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DJT
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
A lot of people just drive over to the service point and refill there, it's likely your grey waste tank will need emptying at the same time if you have used all your fresh supply. Also empty the toilet whilst your there 👍

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Buy a hose pipe or watering can , how much water do you intend to use ?

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Make up a cheap 12v pump unit .
3C591779-B527-4CCA-9311-6377C425BB52.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mark Purnell

Free Member
Aug 5, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
We have always used our own facilities in our caravan (toilet, shower, dishwashing etc.) so our usage is high. I just want to consider my options- a hosepipe is fine if it’ll reach, and of course I could drive to the tap as mentioned. But also filling from an aqua roll could be useful.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
If the OP had a caravan he probably has one of those, just no means of powering it, hence my suggestion of an extension cable.👍
It works off a 12v plug socket in on the dashboard . Nothing to do with a caravan .
We used this successfully last year at retrofest where it’s hard to move the van once pitched up . Long lead on it so it just plugs in .

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Search submersible diesel transfer pump and you will get what Swifter has but already made up complete with plug and switch... only need to supply hose... and yes they do fit in a 40l Augaroll.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
If the OP had a caravan he probably has one of those, just no means of powering it, hence my suggestion of an extension cable.👍
Sort of disagree... he probably had a whale type pump that connected straight into side of van to supply water and also an intregal power supply all in the same unit.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We had a caravan before but one of the great things about motorhomes is if you go with a fair bit of water you just switch stuff on and you're set up. It's a few minutes job to drive to the dump point and tap to fill with a hose. If we were going to be in one place long enough to make an aquaroll worthwhile using I'd probably get another caravan!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
We have always used our own facilities in our caravan (toilet, shower, dishwashing etc.) so our usage is high. I just want to consider my options- a hosepipe is fine if it’ll reach, and of course I could drive to the tap as mentioned. But also filling from an aqua roll could be useful.
You may find you want to carry less as you travel read the threads about what has be bought and not used . Try not to buy too much to start use what you have and then add if needed pay your subs £20.00 and you can post lots you only get 5 freebies , hope you enjoy your van and the adventures

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Sort of disagree... he probably had a whale type pump that connected straight into side of van to supply water and also an intregal power supply all in the same unit.
Don't know but he did mention a 12v socket above the water inlet on his caravan so I imagined that he was using one of those pumps to transfer from his aquaroll but can't do so on his new camper as he doesn't have the 12v socket 🤷

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
We had a caravan before but one of the great things about motorhomes is if you go with a fair bit of water you just switch stuff on and you're set up. It's a few minutes job to drive to the dump point and tap to fill with a hose. If we were going to be in one place long enough to make an aquaroll worthwhile using I'd probably get another caravan!
The anti aquaroll brigade 😂😂
Will be extremely useful for me and the family at Retrofest. Not exactly practical to be moving a van whilst on a rally inside the show ground !
We don’t take it away often but when we do it’s extremely useful. I like to have a wash you see 😂

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Don't know but he did mention a 12v socket above the water inlet on his caravan so I imagined that he was using one of those pumps to transfer from his aquaroll but can't do so on his new camper as he doesn't have the 12v socket 🤷
👍🏻

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Didn’t the 12v cigarette plug in the picture give it away ? 😂
I think we are talking about the same thing but just from a different angle 😉. I agree that's what he needs, I just assumed he already had one but with a 12v plug that fits into the external socket above the inlet. I've got one on my van which I can power the same type of pump.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I think we are talking about the same thing but just from a different angle 😉. I agree that's what he needs, I just assumed he already had one but with a 12v plug that fits into the external socket above the inlet. I've got one on my van which I can power the same type of pump.
We weren’t talking about the same thing lol .
I’ve edited my post 👍🏻

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Always have mine... as you, have helped some out in past.
On a THS last week and I counted 8 MOHO's with not only Auqarolls sitting beside van but also Waste Master underneath.
As stated some would rather pack up... start cold engine and drive 200yrds to tap.
Each to their own!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Will be extremely useful for me and the family at Retrofest. Not exactly practical to be moving a van whilst on a rally inside the show ground !
We don’t take it away often but when we do it’s extremely useful. I like to have a wash you see 😂
I think the longest we've ever stayed on a site without turning the wheels is two days and our tank does at least 4 with us both showered every day so we do wash too!!. When we did retrofest we were still working so two nights only. A n aquaroll would just take up too much space for us to bother.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I think the longest we've ever stayed on a site without turning the wheels is two days and our tank does at least 4 with us both showered every day so we do wash too!!. When we did retrofest we were still working so two nights only. A n aquaroll would just take up too much space for us to bother.
Not everyone who uses a motorhome are a couple lol . There are 5 of us so we will run out of water fairly quickly. It’s not really practical to fill up at retrofest so as I say it will be very useful for us . Also it’s going to extremely hot so more showers will be nice . I am there to have fun , not be worrying about saving water so I don’t have to fill up .

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
If we were going to be in one place long enough to make an aquaroll worthwhile using I'd probably get another caravan!
This statement always comes up on an Aquaroll debate thread.
Yes we too are from "tugger" stock and yes we used to remain on site for prolonged periods, usually on THS's
However we now have a MOHO and do enjoy touring around.. 1night here, 2nights there (which we would not consider in a c'van)
However we do also still like to spend longer in one place as required so I do not see the carrying of an Aquaroll to be an inconvenience.
I certainly would not consider going back to "tugging" just to justify the use of an Aquaroll.!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
An aquaroll takes up a lot if space for something only rarely useful. I did have one, offered it on here and local freebie site, no takers so took it to the tip.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I carry a Waterhog, not very heavy when empty and plenty of space for it in the garage. It can be handy but not used all that often. I have a submersible pump and connect to one of the existing 12V internal sockets. I find no need for an external power source and have no intention whatsoever of cutting any holes to provide one. Tap and hose is my main means of filling the tank.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Aquarolls are great, a 10 year old kid can drag 40L of water to the van. But it's the space it takes up, Ok for a caravan staying on site, but a van on the move has to have it inside. No chance. The person who makes a properly collapsing aquaroll that the same 10 year old can use will make a few quid.

Meanwhile I'm a big can of 20L collapsible buckets. Modern ones are great, you can carry 20L easily they don't spill when carrying, and a small lift pump gets it into the tank quickly.
Ive got 3 of these. Two black ones for fresh water and an orange one to get rid of grey water, they take no room at all. These are strong and really well made.

Amazon product ASIN B076Z7JZ4D

[AMS=article, 45][/AMS]

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hi all.
My query is this….
Book a fully serviced pitch

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have a 23 litre wheeled Fiamma water carrier plus electric pump but never use them.

Instead I have two 10 litre watering cans, one for each hand. By the time I muck about getting the pump installed and make sure it doesn't touch anything dirty and then put the filling hose and screw adapter on the tap (never trust a campsite or Aire hose) and take it off again once filled I can make two trips with the watering cans

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Aquarolls are great, a 10 year old kid can drag 40L of water to the van. But it's the space it takes up, Ok for a caravan staying on site, but a van on the move has to have it inside. No chance. The person who makes a properly collapsing aquaroll that the same 10 year old can use will make a few quid.

Meanwhile I'm a big can of 20L collapsible buckets. Modern ones are great, you can carry 20L easily they don't spill when carrying, and a small lift pump gets it into the tank quickly.
Ive got 3 of these. Two black ones for fresh water and an orange one to get rid of grey water, they take no room at all. These are strong and really well made.

Amazon product ASIN B076Z7JZ4D

[AMS=article, 45][/AMS]
An Aquaroll is easily carried on one of those cheap "scissor action" tow ball cycle carriers.

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
Hi there, 20L collapsable water container(readily available at the MH shows, whale submersible pump- fits through the wide neck, long 12v lead to 12v cigarrete socket in van.

If water tap is a long distance I have a collabsable to flat fishing seat/trolley, I have seen others use small collabsable trolleys and bunji the water container on for its journey back to the van.
These transparent plastic containers fold flat as a pancake .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back