LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Got some food grade water hose I fill up water with. How old do you think it should be before changing it. It is date stamped.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If it's still soft and flexible then I wouldn't worry about the date stamp. Just run the water through the hose for a few moments to flush it out before filling.
But your post about hoses is timely. :) At the risk being labled a hose anorak I've struggled at home to find a decent hose for cleaning the MH. A Hozelok one I had kinked at the drop of a hat. I replaced it with a Karcher one which was better but can still kink. Then last week I came across Tricoflex hose and declare it brilliant. :) It is very soft and supple compared to the well known makes - and not expensive either. http://www.waterirrigation.co.uk/tricoflex-hose-pipe-x-1-2-12-5mm-25m.html
Sorry for the thread hijack. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I have a food grade hose but I only use it for water not food :LOL: It is flushed with water every time it is used and that will invariably contain chlorine. I can't see a date stamp on mine but I shall use it for as long as it doesn't leak.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Get yourself a big watering can, no kidding i was the most sceptical you could find but since getting one on a whim last year i will never go back to untangleing various hoses and having to get close to taps and so forth.
Seriously just try one, less than a tenner for a good one or even a quid at pound shop , what you got to lose(y)

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Green garden hose and a watering can, an idea I took from Scotjimland many moons ago(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Get yourself a big watering can, no kidding i was the most sceptical you could find but since getting one on a whim last year i will never go back to untangleing various hoses and having to get close to taps and so forth.
Seriously just try one, less than a tenner for a good one or even a quid at pound shop , what you got to lose(y)
For years I've listened to people raving about watering cans and couldn't understand why anyone would go down that route when hose pipes do the job.
Then in May I saw a cheapie 5 litre watering can while staying at Berwick and thought I'd try it out. The hosepipe hasn't been used since.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My tank is around 70 gallons, think I will stick to the hose. :D
Ours is only 70 litres so with a ten litre can, a couple a day is no hassle at all.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years

sorry @chaser but a 100 gallon water tank takes a lot of watering cans,lol. think i will stick with the hosepipe .:)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
If you're talking about a food grade stamped hose then normally this is only required for applications when there is standing water in that part of the tube. The time that the water is in contact with the hose is so small that there is little to no risk and hence most people using PVC garden hose instead of food grade hose lines.

The piping (copper or plastic) that the water was stood in for several hours at your house certainly has more contaminants in it with a typical UK domestic water supply having a TDS (total dissolved solids) or around 150-250ppm.

Unless I wanted pure H2o with a TDS of zero then I wouldn't use food grade hose, and water that pure is of course not fit for human consumption.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Local Tap.png
As others do watering can(s) .. Fit all known taps .. I use two as you only have to walk half the distance and it helps with my balance. This was the water tap in Spain this year. We were parked up overlooking the beach with about 20 other MH's. Really nice spot but a hosepipe would have been useless.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
View attachment 175489 As others do watering can(s) .. Fit all known taps .. I use two as you only have to walk half the distance and it helps with my balance. This was the water tap in Spain this year. We were parked up overlooking the beach with about 20 other MH's. Really nice spot but a hosepipe would have been useless.
Yeah , really is dead simple to just start off with a full tank , and then stick a can full in anytime you see a tap, no need to wait till itsempty , no need to get close to thetap, no need to get different lengths of hose , no need to have to untangle them or wrap them up again, no need to have to drag them over muddy ground or where someone else has emptied, no need for all sorts of different ends, just walk across fill a can and tip it in.
In practice as we use bottled water for cooking and drinking , one 10 litre can a day is all we need.

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
About an hour and half :LOL:

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We are fortunate enough to be able to fill up with water from the MT yard before we depart anywhere. We do this using a food grade hose - @scotjimland won that debate, and we can get close enough for a hose. As we BritStop most times, we use this "fill up before we go approach", but if our first stop has water, we will wait. As many pubs or garden centres do not have easy access to taps, we use the watering can to top up as and when. If we are away for a weekend only, then we fill up and will not need any more until return to storage; we do have 110 litres though. I have never seen a date stamp on mine, but there again never looked closely, but I probably wouldn't change it unless it looked tatty and or black bits coming out and always flush through for a few seconds first.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I carry a cassette (flat) hose but this thread reminds me haven't used it for ages. Also got a couple of shorter lengths of plastic hose for when I can get close to a tap. Otherwise I mostly use a 10 litre long spout watering can.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I found it amusing that when I offered a fellow camper the use of my hose he wouldn't because I had no proof it was food grade, he then continued to use a watering can. I guess these are food grade then.

beltsandbraces

Free Member
Feb 14, 2017
worthing
Funster No
MH
lunar 780
Exp
Food grade hose!!! What on earth next, stamping eggs with dates!! oh yes they have done that one. :sleep:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Fully a
Fully agree,,,We have all the time in the world to fill up and the exercise is good for us,,BUSBY:D2:D2:D2

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Interesting response from you all. I only started the thread because my hose is date stamped 2007 and the other day I cut a bit off the end and inside was slightly black. It does not bother me as the water we drink comes through a filter and the rest is boiled for tea or used for washing up etc. As for the hose V watering can. Hose when I can. 120 litre tank would mean 12 trips backwards and forwards with my 10 litre water container. Nice when I have the time. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back